Not open for further replies.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SB259 has been assigned to House Public Policy, ostensibly to be considered, but more likely, with Dermody in charge of it, to be buried.
    We have no recourse against Mr. Dermody's actions here. I strongly suggest that any of his constituents who might be so inclined should remember his name. Should he ever decide to seek public office again, I recommend he be figuratively and politically taken to the woodshed. Should he receive some public apointment, let those whose community he would serve speak up: He is not trustworthy, he is not dependable, and he is not honest. Mr. Dermody, if you are reading this, I sincerely hope that your buddy Bloomberg is going to take good care of you (after all, that's what you liberal statists seem to want) because if I hear your name politically, ever again, I will make it my business to ensure no self-respecting conservative or libertarian votes for you out of ignorance.

May the remainder of your days be spent in poverty and ignominy, if you expect them to be spent sucking at the public teat.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    SB259 has been assigned to House Public Policy, ostensibly to be considered, but more likely, with Dermody in charge of it, to be buried.
    We have no recourse against Mr. Dermody's actions here. I strongly suggest that any of his constituents who might be so inclined should remember his name. Should he ever decide to seek public office again, I recommend he be figuratively and politically taken to the woodshed. Should he receive some public apointment, let those whose community he would serve speak up: He is not trustworthy, he is not dependable, and he is not honest. Mr. Dermody, if you are reading this, I sincerely hope that your buddy Bloomberg is going to take good care of you (after all, that's what you liberal statists seem to want) because if I hear your name politically, ever again, I will make it my business to ensure no self-respecting conservative or libertarian votes for you out of ignorance.

May the remainder of your days be spent in poverty and ignominy, if you expect them to be spent sucking at the public teat.
    AMEN to this! **** you Dermody. I'm gonna go buy a couple guns now just because I know it will **** you off.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Most of you have seen me say what I do for a living. I am proud to be a paramedic, and over years, I've learned a few things that have served me very well. One of those things that is indispensable is that, sometimes, a situation is just wrong, and we (people) can, with practice, sense that. There's nothing I can say "looks" wrong or "sounds" wrong or "smells" wrong. To say that it "feels" wrong is not a tactile sensation. We as humans have five senses recognized by science, and none of them can be pointed to to say how we know, we just know. I usually say that those things "taste" wrong.

I have had some time to think about my post above. I do not retract nor apologize for one word of it. I have, however, become aware that I am not alone in suspecting that Mr. Dermody may be receiving orders from some unknown source to not hear the bills we as a group favor. As I see it, there are approximately three places from whence those orders could come, those being the head of the House, the head of the party, or the head of the state. I cannot stress in any stronger terms that this is only my suspicion, and I have absolutely no evidence to back it up. It just tastes wrong.

With that said, Mr. Dermody is far from blameless. It is no secret that we, the people, have no recourse against him for refusing our bills. What may escape notice, however, is that he is also proof against any recourse from higher-ups as well. Who heads a House committee is the decision of the Speaker of the House, and last year, that might have been a valid reason to not hear the bills presented. This year, however, Mr. Dermody made it well-known that he was leaving public office. He won't be heading any House committee next year no matter what he does this year. There's nothing they can take away from him nor deny him in the House, and thus, any bill he heard or didn't hear was his own choice, either way. This tells me that either he is not pro-2A or that he has some other something he has been or will be offered, whether in cash or for his next job. Either way, he has chosen not to respect the wishes of the people of the state for personal reasons, and that, to my way of thinking, is unforgiveable. The problem is that if my groundless suspicions, the idea that all of this "tastes wrong", are correct, it speaks to what would, for any of us, be called a conspiracy.

I don't know what to do about it, and I don't know how to fix the problem. We cannot simply "clean house" and remove Mr. Pence and Mr. Bosma from office; to do so only removes us from the GOP frying pan and throws us into the Democratic Party fire. We have no method of removing, and I have to admit, I don't even know, the head of the Republican party to whom I alluded above. Some of us will say that it's worth the short term loss to gain the long term benefit of a party responsive to the people, and if we had a guarantee that we would get that, I might agree, but there is no such assurance. We will get nowhere doing nothing, but we can't just "do something" unless we know that that something will benefit us. (That's how we got Obama and his promises of "change", after all.)

Again, I don't apologize for my words nor do I retract them. I say all this to see if others think as I do, because THAT is what gets people acting to make changes. I would hope that Mr. Bosma and Mr. Pence would be made aware of these thoughts, and possibly change their actions to suit the job that they were hired to do, rather than suit whatever corporate or Bloomberg pocketful of cash pays for them to decide.

My thoughts are not evidence, but paying attention when something tastes wrong has never steered me wrong yet.

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Oh, I agree. Something seems to be up. I'm not connected with anyone at the state house or in any of the parties. I've never pursued the opportunity to even meet my rep or senator face-to-face. But just by watching what's happened the last couple of years, it does seem like there's another agenda going on here. (And I'm not so sure it's confined to the gun issues).

I share your concerns about frying pans and fires. I'm not sure what to do about it either. But I'm pretty confident the person running against Pence will not even consider any of the bills most sought after by me. The democrats seem to be a lot more locked-in-step with each other than the republicans do and the republicans seem to fear the convictions that got them elected to supermajority status are now some sort of liability in this state. I am baffled.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Most of you have seen me say what I do for a living. I am proud to be a paramedic, and over years, I've learned a few things that have served me very well. One of those things that is indispensable is that, sometimes, a situation is just wrong, and we (people) can, with practice, sense that. There's nothing I can say "looks" wrong or "sounds" wrong or "smells" wrong. To say that it "feels" wrong is not a tactile sensation. We as humans have five senses recognized by science, and none of them can be pointed to to say how we know, we just know. I usually say that those things "taste" wrong.

I have had some time to think about my post above. I do not retract nor apologize for one word of it. I have, however, become aware that I am not alone in suspecting that Mr. Dermody may be receiving orders from some unknown source to not hear the bills we as a group favor. As I see it, there are approximately three places from whence those orders could come, those being the head of the House, the head of the party, or the head of the state. I cannot stress in any stronger terms that this is only my suspicion, and I have absolutely no evidence to back it up. It just tastes wrong.

With that said, Mr. Dermody is far from blameless. It is no secret that we, the people, have no recourse against him for refusing our bills. What may escape notice, however, is that he is also proof against any recourse from higher-ups as well. Who heads a House committee is the decision of the Speaker of the House, and last year, that might have been a valid reason to not hear the bills presented. This year, however, Mr. Dermody made it well-known that he was leaving public office. He won't be heading any House committee next year no matter what he does this year. There's nothing they can take away from him nor deny him in the House, and thus, any bill he heard or didn't hear was his own choice, either way. This tells me that either he is not pro-2A or that he has some other something he has been or will be offered, whether in cash or for his next job. Either way, he has chosen not to respect the wishes of the people of the state for personal reasons, and that, to my way of thinking, is unforgiveable. The problem is that if my groundless suspicions, the idea that all of this "tastes wrong", are correct, it speaks to what would, for any of us, be called a conspiracy.

I don't know what to do about it, and I don't know how to fix the problem. We cannot simply "clean house" and remove Mr. Pence and Mr. Bosma from office; to do so only removes us from the GOP frying pan and throws us into the Democratic Party fire. We have no method of removing, and I have to admit, I don't even know, the head of the Republican party to whom I alluded above. Some of us will say that it's worth the short term loss to gain the long term benefit of a party responsive to the people, and if we had a guarantee that we would get that, I might agree, but there is no such assurance. We will get nowhere doing nothing, but we can't just "do something" unless we know that that something will benefit us. (That's how we got Obama and his promises of "change", after all.)

Again, I don't apologize for my words nor do I retract them. I say all this to see if others think as I do, because THAT is what gets people acting to make changes. I would hope that Mr. Bosma and Mr. Pence would be made aware of these thoughts, and possibly change their actions to suit the job that they were hired to do, rather than suit whatever corporate or Bloomberg pocketful of cash pays for them to decide.

My thoughts are not evidence, but paying attention when something tastes wrong has never steered me wrong yet.

Blessings,
    Bill

I think the word you're looking for is "intuition". And I agree. My intuition gives me a strong suspicion that Dermody isn't just acting on his own sensibilities. I do suspect that it's not necessarily a person, per se, that is telling him to do this. Maybe it's more by committee: by clique. Indiana Republicans behave strangely in office. They tend to do some really silly stuff to stay in office. Like their RFRA bill last year that got them mob-shamed.

I bet they were dumbfounded that the usually successful pandering backfired. But this, I think many Republican officeholders are afraid of the current climate, all the way to the top. I'm sure neither Pence nor any of the prominent Republicans want to see the sure-to-come headlines from all the liberal rags, local and national, "Hoosier Republicans Approve Criminals to Carry Handguns!"

At least that's the way it smells to me.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I think many Republican officeholders are afraid of the current climate, all the way to the top. I'm sure neither Pence nor any of the prominent Republicans want to see the sure-to-come headlines from all the liberal rags, local and national, "Hoosier Republicans Approve Criminals to Carry Handguns!"
    Suspect that's the biggest part (though not all) of it. Not due to any conspiracy or bribes, but because they are afraid of how they will be portrayed by a media hostile and inimical to the right of the people to bear firearms.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Received:

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Speaker Bosma's Office - HB 1056 Response
    Date: Mon, February 22, 2016 (time redacted)
    To: (me)

Dear Bill,

Thank you for contacting Speaker Bosma and expressing your opinions regarding House Bill (HB) 1056, which would repeal the law that requires a license to carry handgun in Indiana. Speaker Bosma appreciates you sharing your thoughts on this legislation and has requested that I respond to you on his behalf. Although this bill did not make it out of committee, this topic stimulates a thought-provoking policy issue for future General Assemblies. Constituents voicing their opinions on issues and making suggestions to legislators, as you have done, is a vital part of the legislative process.

The Speaker supports the Second Amendment for many reasons, most importantly maintaining Hoosiers' freedoms and ability to protect themselves and their loved ones. It is essential that responsible, law-abiding citizens have the right to bear arms legally in our state, a right that is guaranteed by the United States Constitution. The decision on whether to support a repeal of the handgun license or not is one that should be made after much thought, research, and deliberation has taken place. Moving forward, should the Indiana General Assembly address this policy issue, the Speaker will keep your support in mind.
    Once again, thank you for voicing your opinion. Please feel free to contact Speaker Bosma with any questions, comments, or concerns you may have in the future. Constituent contact is essential to the legislative process, and Speaker Bosma truly appreciates the citizens of Indiana taking the time to share their thoughts about the issues concerning our state.

Sincerely,

Chris Kulik
    Legislative Assistant to
    Speaker Brian Bosma
    200 W. Washington Street, Room 401-1
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    1-317-232-9677

I am certain this is a form letter. Those of you who also emailed him will likely already have similar in your inboxes.

I am most frustrated, and I do hope we get a better chairman (and a smaller GOP majority) next year.

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Received:

I am certain this is a form letter. Those of you who also emailed him will likely already have similar in your inboxes.

I am most frustrated, and I do hope we get a better chairman (and a smaller GOP majority) next year.

Blessings,
    Bill

Got mine today...appears to be a form letter alright.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sure. If he cared to have them.

Form letter... is anyone answering it?

Blessings,
    Bill
    I've answered them before (from other reps/sens) but I don't think I ever got a second response. If they really wanted to discuss the issue, they would have indicated so in their email. These are just kiss offs.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Maybe I'm just cynical, but do they ever not send a form letter (other than not sending a reply at all)?

Yeah. I don't remember who it was but a year or two ago, I was sending emails (my form letter) to all of the members of a committee about some bill. I didn't realize or forgot, in the flurry of sending them out, that one of the recipients was the author of the subject bill. Oops! He politely let me know that he was the author and intended on voting for it. That was a little embarrassing. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom