• ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    +1

This one was 275+ yards away. I stopped counting at 330 paces. Look what is around his neck.

34yscgj.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    You absolutely did him a favor! That's crazy...poor guy. I hate coyotes but also don't want to see any critter suffer. We have two that were on the cameras that had bad legs. One appeared to be missing a hind foot and the other had a front leg messed up. One female that hubby shot last year was missing a hind foot. I can only guess that they were in a trap at some point.

I'm not seeing them on the cameras here now but I'm sure they'll be back.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Which bullets are we discussing? And from your point of view or the coyotes?

With squirrels, if there's any doubt, I shoot 'em again.

From my point of view, 40 grain VMAX bullets suck. Five of the last eight have gotten up and run away. For some reason, my gun doesn't like the heavier bullets. I came up with a solution though, I ordered everything for a 6.5 Grendel. I'm not keeping the fur so I'm not concerned about pelt damage.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    From my point of view, 40 grain VMAX bullets suck. Five of the last eight have gotten up and run away. For some reason, my gun doesn't like the heavier bullets. I came up with a solution though, I ordered everything for a 6.5 Grendel. I'm not keeping the fur so I'm not concerned about pelt damage.
    Guessing you aren't getting the kind of penetration you want out of those prairie poodle bullets.

6.5 should solve that. A 55 grain soft point should do ok, I would think, but if it isn't accurate in your gun that makes it tougher.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

I think those were the ones hubby was using last year where he KNEW he hit them but we never found them. He even had blood on most of them, but never found them when we went looking in the daylight. I know they were vmax...not sure if they were 40 grain but that sounds right.

We haven't been seeing any coyotes here. The bait pile has been out for a month and nothing is even hitting it...not even opossum. Buzzards and hawks were at first, but I'm not even seeing them on the camera. It's weird.

Apparently, we don't have good roadkill or something.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Last year I used 55 grain VMAX with pretty good success. This past summer I spent time figuring out which was more accurate. 55 grain was 1.5-2 moa while 40 grain was 1 moa so I stocked up on 40. Now that the 40 grains aren't working out, I figured I might as well try something different. 6.5 Grendel gives me roughly three times the bullet size with more energy.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Last year I used 55 grain VMAX with pretty good success. This past summer I spent time figuring out which was more accurate. 55 grain was 1.5-2 moa while 40 grain was 1 moa so I stocked up on 40. Now that the 40 grains aren't working out, I figured I might as well try something different. 6.5 Grendel gives me roughly three times the bullet size with more energy.

Hubby said it was the 40 grain that he was using last year that he had issues with. The coyote would spin around a few times after he hit them and then they would take off. He switched to 69 grain and that took care of that. We aren't concerned about saving pelts either.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield

What twist rate is your barrel? Have you tried heavier loads? I shoot 77 gr out of a 1/8 barrel with 1/2 moa results. My experiance with 223/556 from hornaday is not good at all in any factory load. They are all over the place for me out of several rifles.

I missed two this past sunday. Not sure how i pulled the shots but i did. Lol. I guess it happens with excitement.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    They've been responding really well to pup in distress.

Thanks for the tip! Got it on one of my calls but I don't think I've ever used in the field.

I don't care much for the lighter bullets either. In my T3 I got groups close to .5", then I tried them on a pumpkin. Big, big entrance but barely any exit. Decided to stick to 55 gr bullets after that. About the same experience as cmann250, no exit and DRT, turns their innards to jelly. The light bullets may work good on small desert yotes but with the big ones we've got, my guess is the 40s expend all their energy on the nearside hide and muscle and not enough left to destroy the vitals.

Top Bottom