• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I definitely don't have all the answers to the rut and I'm not good at predicting it. But some old timers tell me that it starts the closest full moon to Halloween which would be the November 12th full moon (later rut than past years). Other old timers tell me they look at the big cold fronts which down here would be getting ready to start tomorrow with another one coming in Monday (Nov. 11th). So, with both those factors being around the beginning of next week maybe they are on to something?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The timing of the rut doesn't change from year to year nor is it dependent on weather or moon conditions. That is not to say that the weather, possibly even moon phase and certainly other factors do not play a role in observed rut activity. Think of the rut as a bell curve with the center of the curve located on November 15th, this is the peak of breeding activity when the largest number of mature does come into estrous for the first time each year. Some does will go into estrous before or after the 15th but the farther you get from the 15th in either direction the fewer does are going to be coming into estrous. It is possible that some mature does can come into estrous as early as late October or as late as December but the odds are not good. Most of the time, it is round about now that the first does begin coming into estrous and if conditions are good(which they appear to be) and one is in the right place, observed rutting activity should begin increasing.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I thought the rut was triggered by changes in light.
    And that moon and temp ( and ? ) may influence general deer activity.

Had a medium doe come behind scrapes Sunday w tail up she appeared to have " something going on" back there. Maybe the medium 8 pt had his way with her? She was skittish and super alert

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Had a nice 8 point come through tonight nose to the ground on a trail used normally by does. Gave me a 30 yard shot which I proceeded to wiff on... Hopefully he will mess up again.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    The timing of the rut doesn't change from year to year nor is it dependent on weather or moon conditions. That is not to say that the weather, possibly even moon phase and certainly other factors do not play a role in observed rut activity. Think of the rut as a bell curve with the center of the curve located on November 15th, this is the peak of breeding activity when the largest number of mature does come into estrous for the first time each year. Some does will go into estrous before or after the 15th but the farther you get from the 15th in either direction the fewer does are going to be coming into estrous. It is possible that some mature does can come into estrous as early as late October or as late as December but the odds are not good. Most of the time, it is round about now that the first does begin coming into estrous and if conditions are good(which they appear to be) and one is in the right place, observed rutting activity should begin increasing.

Not sure I agree with you but as I said I don't pretend to be an expert on the rut. I will say it's been a long time since I seen a late rut down here in SE Indiana. Last year down here our rut started October 28th and most of the time it's starting here right around Halloween to Election Day. It's been a long time since I've seen a rut starting during firearms season.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have yet to get out into the woods around here, but I'm counting down the days til I leave for my yearly hunting trip to VA. 2 weeks from tomorrow a.m. and I'll be on my way. 4 straight days in the woods with my Dad.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not sure I agree with you but as I said I don't pretend to be an expert on the rut. I will say it's been a long time since I seen a late rut down here in SE Indiana. Last year down here our rut started October 28th and most of the time it's starting here right around Halloween to Election Day. It's been a long time since I've seen a rut starting during firearms season.

I think you might be misreading his post, or I'm misreading yours. He is not saying the start is november 15th (gun season is november 16th) he is saying the largest % of does are hot November 15th. Gun season on the 16th would be the start of the downward slope.

While I agree with his theory, IMO the peak of the bell curve is typically a little before the 15th. IMO its November 8th/9th, but we are splitting hairs. Temperatures have no effect on the rut. They do have effect on how much of the rut we see vs how much happens in the middle of the night.

Something to keep in mind when dealing with the rut. Just because you see a 1.5 year old running does all over, doesnt mean she is quite ready. I've seen little guys chasing October 1st. They dont quite know what that thing is for, they just know they want to use it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I saw two red fox in muzzleloader season way back
    Did a double take....they were fawns.

Dunno if late or some genetic deal ( stunted ? ).
    Orange little dudes they were.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Fork horn wandered through the yard this morning. Little three yr old 8 pointer in the back yard 2 days ago. Tues saw a BIG 8 cross the drive about 200 yds out. Movement has definitely started.

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Spent all day in the stand. Damn cold this am. Truck said 19 when I got out. All day sit. Passed up a 120" 8 pointer at 5pm. Stopped at 9 yards. Ate about 5 acorns and walked on. Was a long day sitting. The leaves are falling like rain

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    The swirling wind screwed me out of a nice 10 this morning. Tonight had 4 bucks running around grunting and acting ignorant. Never has a shot at any of them.

Good luck tomorrow to those that venture out!

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I've been passing on several deer. That changed yesterday. I had a big bodied mature buck come out of a thicket 10 yards and without hesitation...whack. Walked about 15 yds and down. Not much in the antler department. So much for patience. This is my normal instinct as I generally hunt for meat and don't pay much attention to antler size. Noticed some does close by so I knocked another arrow. They moved off but then the buck I'd been wanting came out into the field and came right under me and stopped, so I shot it...with my camera lol. I was telling a buddy about it and he said I should've shot it and that he would've bought a tag for it. Shooting the second buck never crossed my mind. In fact as soon as I saw him I hung my bow(and my head). I was burning some brush and drinking a few beers later in the evening and got to thinking...I could've got away with it. Nah, although I'm sure there are people out there that would've shot it. Picture of the deer I shot and the deer I wanted to shoot below. I've gotten to the point in my life where I don't dwell on things like this. I just laugh it off. There's always next year.
    U8Q6ZuU.jpg
    [/IMG]
    CjDYlZy.jpg
    [/IMG]

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I've been passing on several deer. That changed yesterday. I had a big bodied mature buck come out of a thicket 10 yards and without hesitation...whack. Walked about 15 yds and down. Not much in the antler department. So much for patience. This is my normal instinct as I generally hunt for meat and don't pay much attention to antler size. Noticed some does close by so I knocked another arrow. They moved off but then the buck I'd been wanting came out into the field and came right under me and stopped, so I shot it...with my camera lol. I was telling a buddy about it and he said I should've shot it and that he would've bought a tag for it. Shooting the second buck never crossed my mind. In fact as soon as I saw him I hung my bow(and my head). I was burning some brush and drinking a few beers later in the evening and got to thinking...I could've got away with it. Nah, although I'm sure there are people out there that would've shot it. Picture of the deer I shot and the deer I wanted to shoot below. I've gotten to the point in my life where I don't dwell on things like this. I just laugh it off. There's always next year.
    U8Q6ZuU.jpg
    [/IMG]
    CjDYlZy.jpg
    [/IMG]

Your buddy needs a lesson in law abiding. Friends like that will eventually get you in trouble. Even your bigger buck only looks to be about 3 yrs old. I'd have let both of them go unless I was really hungry..

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Your buddy needs a lesson in law abiding. Friends like that will eventually get you in trouble. Even your bigger buck only looks to be about 3 yrs old. I'd have let both of them go unless I was really hungry..
    I agree with you about him needing a lesson in abiding by the law. I'm smart enough not to let people like that get me into trouble. I posted his comment to pose the ethical point. I would always make the same decision. I take wildlife laws seriously. You may be right about the age of the bigger buck. I had only seen him at a distance until yesterday. As far as the one I took, I don't get too excited about antler size. Right or wrong I generally look for a flat head and a "pot belly" to determine if a buck is mature enough for me. He fit the bill.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I agree with you about him needing a lesson in abiding by the law. I'm smart enough not to let people like that get me into trouble. I posted his comment to pose the ethical point. I would always make the same decision. I take wildlife laws seriously. You may be right about the age of the bigger buck. I had only seen him at a distance until yesterday. As far as the one I took, I don't get too excited about antler size. Right or wrong I generally look for a flat head and a "pot belly" to determine if a buck is mature enough for me. He fit the bill.

10/4. Meat in the freezer at any rate.:yesway:

Top Bottom