• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Now that the bill is signed any idea when it actually goes in to effect? I look around for the date but didn't see it mentioned.

Kystie's Law (self-defense immunity) took effect immediately. Church-in-school carry takes effect July 1, 2019. The 5-year no-fees LTCH takes effect July 1, 2020.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Now with the implementation of the 5 year LTCH, I suppose that the 4473 still be filled out and filed for ever.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Now with the implementation of the 5 year LTCH, I suppose that the 4473 still be filled out and filed for ever.

As I understand it, the only thing that changes about the FFL transfer process is that the NICS phone call is no longer required?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

As I understand it, the only thing that changes about the FFL transfer process is that the NICS phone call is no longer required?

So, Correct.

I have never waited more than 5 minutes for a NICS check and I don't buy enough to spend the extra cash for the electronic prints.

The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis
    And I believe you may concurrently hold a 5 year and a lifetime.

Any idea on if this applies to current 4-year LTCH holders? I.E. if someone currently holds a 4 year LTCH, is there any point at which they would be able to upgrade directly to the lifetime without having to wait for renewal to come up? Or does that only apply to newly issued 5 year LTCHs?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Any idea on if this applies to current 4-year LTCH holders? I.E. if someone currently holds a 4 year LTCH, is there any point at which they would be able to upgrade directly to the lifetime without having to wait for renewal to come up? Or does that only apply to newly issued 5 year LTCHs?

Lifetime LTCH and renewable (currently 4-year, soon-to-be 5-year) LTCH are separate. Both are applied for/issued separately, and both can be held simultaneously.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Lifetime LTCH and renewable (currently 4-year, soon-to-be 5-year) LTCH are separate. Both are applied for/issued separately, and both can be held simultaneously.
    You are on it today Chip. Is it safe to reveal our ConC plans? BU-WA HA HA!!

The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis

Wait, I'm confused. I was under the impression that previously it was not possible for an already licensed person to apply for a lifetime license except during the renewal period. Are you saying a lifetime license can be applied for at any time?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Wait, I'm confused. I was under the impression that previously it was not possible for an already licensed person to apply for a lifetime license except during the renewal period. Are you saying a lifetime license can be applied for at any time?

That, I don't know. I only ever applied for the lifetime.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

You can now (well, soon, as of 1 July 2019) possess both a 5 year NICS-exempt LTCH and a lifetime LTCH. This was a change in HB 1284.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    [h=1]NRA Honors Indiana Representatives Lucas and Smaltz with Defender of Freedom Award[/h]
    FAIRFAX, Va.– The National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) awarded Indiana State Representatives Jim Lucas and Ben Smaltz the Defender of Freedom Award at the 148th National Rifle Association Annual Meeting (NRAAM) in Indianapolis on Saturday, April 27.

“This year Jim Lucas and Ben Smaltz succeeded in passing legislation to expand self-defense options for Hoosiers,” said Chris Kopacki, NRA-ILA Indiana state director. “This award honors Lucas and Smaltz for leading the fight in Indiana to promote our fundamental right to self-protection.”

The Defender of Freedom Award is awarded to individuals who have distinguished themselves in preserving and protecting our Second Amendment rights.

“I thank Representatives Lucas and Smaltz for their unwavering commitment to freedom,” concluded Kopacki.
    At the NRAAM in Indianapolis, Gov. Eric Holcomb signed into law Lucas and Smaltz’s comprehensive gun rights bill that makes it easier for law-abiding Hoosiers to defend themselves. The new law, which includes proposals introduced by both Lucas and Smaltz, expands self-defense options in the following ways:

• eliminates state fees for a new five-year state License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH);
    • allows law-abiding gun owners greater ability to carry for self-protection in churches;
    • allows gun owners to register to vote when they apply for a LTCH.
    Under this new law, honest, hard-working gun owners will no longer be forced to pay taxes and fees to exercise a fundamental right that ought to be free. This law ends this abuse and ensures that the most vulnerable gun owners are able to protect themselves without worrying about the cost of a license.
    Additionally, the new law provides greater protection to gun owners. Previously, an undue burden was on the defendant in exercising the right to self-defense. Under the new law, that burden is shifted. In addition, a person who acts in self-defense and is later forced to defend themselves a second time in court can be reimbursed for the legal fees associated with their defense.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...cas-and-smaltz-with-defender-of-freedom-award

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    NRA Honors Indiana Representatives Lucas and Smaltz with Defender of Freedom Award

FAIRFAX, Va.– The National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) awarded Indiana State Representatives Jim Lucas and Ben Smaltz the Defender of Freedom Award at the 148th National Rifle Association Annual Meeting (NRAAM) in Indianapolis on Saturday, April 27.

“This year Jim Lucas and Ben Smaltz succeeded in passing legislation to expand self-defense options for Hoosiers,” said Chris Kopacki, NRA-ILA Indiana state director. “This award honors Lucas and Smaltz for leading the fight in Indiana to promote our fundamental right to self-protection.”

The Defender of Freedom Award is awarded to individuals who have distinguished themselves in preserving and protecting our Second Amendment rights.

“I thank Representatives Lucas and Smaltz for their unwavering commitment to freedom,” concluded Kopacki.
    At the NRAAM in Indianapolis, Gov. Eric Holcomb signed into law Lucas and Smaltz’s comprehensive gun rights bill that makes it easier for law-abiding Hoosiers to defend themselves. The new law, which includes proposals introduced by both Lucas and Smaltz, expands self-defense options in the following ways:

• eliminates state fees for a new five-year state License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH);
    • allows law-abiding gun owners greater ability to carry for self-protection in churches;
    Under this new law, honest, hard-working gun owners will no longer be forced to pay taxes and fees to exercise a fundamental right that ought to be free. This law ends this abuse and ensures that the most vulnerable gun owners are able to protect themselves without worrying about the cost of a license.
    Additionally, the new law provides greater protection to gun owners. Previously, an undue burden was on the defendant in exercising the right to self-defense. Under the new law, that burden is shifted. In addition, a person who acts in self-defense and is later forced to defend themselves a second time in court can be reimbursed for the legal fees associated with their defense.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...cas-and-smaltz-with-defender-of-freedom-award

Gee, they forgot to include Rep Nisly. Wonder why?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    NRA Honors Indiana Representatives Lucas and Smaltz with Defender of Freedom Award

:yesway:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    does anyone have a summarized review of new laws going into effect on Monday?

Hey, Moriarty! Can I get some positive waves from ya?? :laugh:

A lot of what got passed this legislative session went into effect when signed by Governor Holcomb. This includes HB 1284 (Civil Immunity for use of Force), Church Carry (amended to 1284), and more due process protections under current Laird Law.

5 year (should be) NICS-exempt LTCH goes into effect Monday. 1 July 2020 it becomes free.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom