• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Has anyone here taken a whitetail with a 10mm cartridge?
    If so, what platform did you use and what was the barrel length?
    What distance was your shot, and how far did the deer run?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Has anyone here taken a whitetail with a 10mm cartridge?
    If so, what platform did you use and what was the barrel length?
    What distance was your shot, and how far did the deer run?
    Planning on it this year. G20 ordered the g40 barrel so 6.5” I believe and will be using 200g jhp from grizzly not going to get the red dot mounted so irons it is. I will be bringing it as the “just in case“ as in just in case they give me a chance otherwise it will be 350 legend. I have yet to get a MATURE buck so I don’t wanna be messing around with a pistol when one walks out

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Planning on it this year. G20 ordered the g40 barrel so 6.5” I believe and will be using 200g jhp from grizzly not going to get the red dot mounted so irons it is. I will be bringing it as the “just in case“ as in just in case they give me a chance otherwise it will be 350 legend. I have yet to get a MATURE buck so I don’t wanna be messing around with a pistol when one walks out
    I have the same thoughts.
    I got drawn for the late reduction hunt at Prophets Town state park.
    I was thinking about a 10mm 1911 or Tanfoglio Witness, " just in case".

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Wasn't me but a friend got 2 last year with a10mm HiPoint carbine. Seems like would be a cheap choice for a deer killer

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Been there, done that. Definitely wouldn't recommend it.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    The messing around with a pistol when a (BIG) mature buck walks out part.
    Oh haha yeah I know how the buck fever goes. And I would hate to have a big one on the edge of my ability…… i Have only had 1 big mature buck come out in front of me…. And he was in full sprint chasing two does. 1 literally ran in between my ladder and the stand. Scope on the gun was too powerful couldn’t get off the shot not to mention they were running. Needless to say I switched to a 1x6

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Oh haha yeah I know how the buck fever goes. And I would hate to have a big one on the edge of my ability…… i Have only had 1 big mature buck come out in front of me…. And he was in full sprint chasing two does. 1 literally ran in between my ladder and the stand. Scope on the gun was too powerful couldn’t get off the shot not to mention they were running. Needless to say I switched to a 1x6
    Many years ago, after an extremely slow evening hunt, I decided to climb down a few minutes early. Half way down the tree in my climber with muzzleloader safely on the ground, I hear a noise and look up to find a big buck at 35 yards and rapidly closing. I decided to go for the revolver in my pack attached to the stand instead of my muzzleloader on the ground. I finished loading two rounds about the time the buck was stopping a short distance away, a very short distance away.

I missed cleanly at virtually unmissable distance only to have the buck run a short distance and stop again. Carefully bracing against the tree and trying to squeeze off a shot only to hear a click I realized too late that in my thoroughly flustered state with buck fever raging, I had rotated the cylinder past the first round and fired the second round on the first shot. At the click, the buck finally had enough and took off. I'm thoroughly convinced I could have retrieved my muzzleloader and easily killed that buck.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Off the week of the 31st, then back to work for a week, then off for gun season. According to my trail cams I should've been in the woods Saturday morning. Oh well. With nice weather coming this weekend I'll probably play golf, replace the t-stat in my Durango (before the weather gets crappy) and shoot the bow some. I'm also in that group of 10mm back up carry this deer season. Mine is the model 40. Unsure on ammo.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Spotted this guy on my trail cam this past weekend. Hope he is still around when I go out for the first weekend of firearm season. We have a TON of does on our property. So hopefully him and his friends will be back :)

Image 10-13-22 at 5.12 PM.jpeg

Top Bottom