• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Off the week of the 31st, then back to work for a week, then off for gun season. According to my trail cams I should've been in the woods Saturday morning. Oh well. With nice weather coming this weekend I'll probably play golf, replace the t-stat in my Durango (before the weather gets crappy) and shoot the bow some. I'm also in that group of 10mm back up carry this deer season. Mine is the model 40. Unsure on ammo.
    Underwood 200 gr. If it's available. Sig Elite 180's are good too. Most commercial 10mm is loaded to .40 S&W speeds.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    They just cut the beans around me… corn is still standing hoping my place becomes the cover/food once crops are gone.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Turnip is a good cover crop...root crops help reduce erosion...so I have heard...don't know much about it.
    Most of the fields by me they leave barren. It would be nice if they planted some good food in the ag field then my place is cover makes for a better morning hunt.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Seen a doe tonight that had growths all over her. It was nasty looking. Is there some bad disease going around in Southern Indiana that is causing that?

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Seen a doe tonight that had growths all over her. It was nasty looking. Is there some bad disease going around in Southern Indiana that is causing that?
    There was a doe close to my home outside of Sullivan that had a massive growth on one of her back legs. I haven't seen her out in quite a while so I'm guessing she passed. She hobbled at best and couldn't run.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Doe activity on the cams dried up...I've seen a couple smaller bucks in the last week but not much activity at all, really. Not sure when life will give me a break so I can go sit and see for myself.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    1B80B470-6C68-42EB-8185-467EFECB48EE.png
    Plenty of activity at the farm for us. Had the kids out there and still had a nice doe at 75 yards.

In other adventures, I spotted a bedded doe/button in the woods by the house. The wind was right, so I went on the flip flop stalk! Made it to 8 yards before it stood up, sensing something was up, but never did spot me. That was the closest I’ve ever managed to stalk on a deer.
    8855675A-F9E5-4697-89AD-907415312A8C.jpeg

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Well crap. Rattled antlers first time this season and 5 minutes later here come little buck and my target buck! Just like a dream they came and little one past by. Big buck came straight and stopped 25 yards facing me, had camera on waited…. Wow! Then he finally turned to circle around me and at 23 yards let the crossbow fire and heard loud wack and off he went. Knew I double lunged him, was so happy…. But that ended soon enough. No arrow and no blood…. Went 75 yards and found arrow with broadhead and some blood and meat… then later found fletching with blood. Son came and we tracked slowly the drops of blood for between 600- 800 yards…. Never bumped him never found a bed, finally disappeared before a huge cornfield. All the drops of blood wouldn’t of filled a pop can. Talked to two dog trackers about it and we all concluded not to track. Evidence and experience said high shot into backstraps above spine and out opposed side shoulder area, no vitals hit. Deer will make it. Man I am bummed. But not my first rodeo but I wanted the buck really bad, could of ducked a little bit also. Regardless had my chance. I had been on a great streak last few years with nice bucks guessed I deserved a pride check I guess. Feel bad but confident at least he isn’t wasted and maybe another hunter can take him. I’ll keep on and hope I get another chance at him. But most likely not from that same stand, maybe a doe will bring him in in another spot later. I never rattle until after Oct 25th, and it sure worked though.

Top Bottom