• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Fished Friday at Brookville Lake, Monday again at Brookville Lake in a different spot and today at Cataract and was skunked every time.
    Didn't really have any hard bites, they just seemed to be pecking at the bait.
    Tried night crawlers, red worms, shrimp, chicken gizzards and breast and even tried bee moths (aka wax worms). Couldn't even get the Bream to bite to try a little cut bait.

I managed to get a decent sunburn though. Not sure the sunblock was effective

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Fished Friday at Brookville Lake, Monday again at Brookville Lake in a different spot and today at Cataract and was skunked every time.
    Tried night crawlers, red worms, shrimp, chicken gizzards and breast and even tried bee moths (aka wax worms). Couldn't even get the Bream to bite to try a little cut bait.

At least you caught some vitamin D.

I talked to a couple guys down on Lake Lemon and they said they've had poor luck the last three days.

I'm hoping to get a rod back in my hand soon, after this holiday week amateur "fisherman" onslaught.

:hooked:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    At least you caught some vitamin D.

I talked to a couple guys down on Lake Lemon and they said they've had poor luck the last three days.

I'm hoping to get a rod back in my hand soon, after this holiday week amateur "fisherman" onslaught.

:hooked:
    Yeah I've often heard that Catfish tend to spawn around mid June and into early July. So, they may still be in shallower water. As soon as they start moving back into deeper water, I'll bet they'll get more active

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Next time you go to Brookville try the park below the spillway. You'll have to wade through trout fisherman if you go on the weekends but there are tons of channel cats there. I wouldn't be surprised if there were flatheads and larger channels closer to the spillway but I know for certain that the park area holds good numbers of keeper sized channel cats. Just be aware that trout will eat most of the catfish baits you mentioned including liver.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yeah I've often heard that Catfish tend to spawn around mid June and into early July. So, they may still be in shallower water. As soon as they start moving back into deeper water, I'll bet they'll get more active
    Yeah it's spawning time, for probably close to another month.

Makes it tough, but remember that they don't all spawn at once. You have to try all different depths this time of year.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Conditions vary, as do spawning areas. Years ago, my regular fishing spot for bedding bluegill this time of year turned into a regular catfish spawning area. A bit of a surprise to set the hook on 3-5# cats, taking my bluegill cricket.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just perused the 2023-2024 Indiana fishing regulations guide, and saw something disturbing, yet exciting.
    Listed under "species illegal to possess", Indiana has listed Wels catfish!
    For the unaware, Wels catfish can easily reach 6'+ and hundreds of pounds.
    The record is over 9-1/2' long.

Has anyone here seen or heard of a Wels catfish in Indiana?
    If so, where/when?

If caught, you are required by law to kill the invasive species.
    I just want to hook into one!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just perused the 2023-2024 Indiana fishing regulations guide, and saw something disturbing, yet exciting.
    Listed under "species illegal to possess", Indiana has listed Wels catfish!
    For the unaware, Wels catfish can easily reach 6'+ and hundreds of pounds.
    The record is over 9-1/2' long.

Has anyone here seen or heard of a Wels catfish in Indiana?
    If so, where/when?

If caught, you are required by law to kill the invasive species.
    I just want to hook into one!

1688807576165.png

This was supposed to be a 260 lb. one caught in Italy.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    After researching for half an hour I find NO Wels in the US, except for possibly one in an aquarium, but I'm not sure where.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0