• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So this year I havea few lofty goals. I am slowly checking them off my list. I have 20 acres so small for some but we do OK we don’t really hold too many animals but they like passing through. so list of things id like to get done before the fall….. the list is long and I doubt it ALL gets done but figure it is good to have goals.

plant sunflower field for dove season (finished this sunflowers already sprouting)

trap more turkey nest raiders because turkey hunting was a blast

clear deadfall for the wood burner

plant clover food plot

raise the 10x10 box blind I built

dig pond (possibly retention pond if we hit a seam :laugh:)

use the pond dirt to put up a berm to block a few neighbors set up a proper backstop and hide my backyard from the critters we‘re hunting

cut more trails / maintain current ones

hang new ladder stands

put finishing touches in the 10x10 box I need some carpenter bee traps some awnings so my windows don’t freeze up add a urinal

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Sounds like a great start! We layer our food plots so there is food early, mid summer, and into fall. Try to keep their interest year round.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    So this year I havea few lofty goals. I am slowly checking them off my list. I have 20 acres so small for some but we do OK we don’t really hold too many animals but they like passing through. so list of things id like to get done before the fall….. the list is long and I doubt it ALL gets done but figure it is good to have goals.

plant sunflower field for dove season (finished this sunflowers already sprouting)

plant clover food plot

use the pond dirt to put up a berm to block a few neighbors set up a proper backstop and hide my backyard from the critters we‘re hunting

hang new ladder stands

put finishing touches in the 10x10 box I need some carpenter bee traps some awnings so my windows don’t freeze up add a urinal
    That's an impressive list!

I want to put up our box stand and maybe a second stand in a different area. Only 15 acres here, but a lot of activity...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

plant clover food plot

hang new ladder stands

Gallon jug works for a urinal.

Stop renting coffee.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Sounds like a great start! We layer our food plots so there is food early, mid summer, and into fall. Try to keep their interest year round.
    I’m not super fancy with plots yet round up broadcast mow. All by hand. Raked and broadcasted 1/4 acre of sunflowers… that was enough work in my old garden

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I built this 8X8 on my property a few years ago. I built the platform then put up the prebuilt walls. Has heat and a urinal that is a funnel mounted to the wall with a hose down to just above the ground. This was my 3rd one, grandkids love hunting out of them.

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpeg
      IMG_0740.jpeg
      863.7 KB · Views: 5
    • IMG_0737.jpeg
      IMG_0737.jpeg
      740.4 KB · Views: 5
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2022
    South Bend

plant clover food plot

hang new ladder stands

put finishing touches in the 10x10 box I need some carpenter bee traps some awnings so my windows don’t freeze up add a urin

plant clover food plot

hang new ladder stands

Idk if you’re much of a duck guy or if you’re even near water but I grow a lot of Japanese and Barn millet on my property. If you want I can share some for duck bait or you can use them to plant your own.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I want to plant sunflowers but am running behind with the kids in sports. I hope I am not too late for dove season. I also want to add brown top millet.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Im gonna sit in the AC and relax.
    Thats my off season prep.
    I can't stand bug spray, bugs or heat.
    Just as soon hibernate end of May til mid October.

How in the heck did my buds and I bowfish, hunt chucks (even in the woods) or do 3D archery?

Oh yeah, we were young n stupid LOL

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Gonna try sun flowers this year in my bottom field. Finally got it bush hogged off yesterday. Need to plow it, then disk it first then 1 acre of corn too will be planted. Then an acre of fall planting.

So much to do and so little time .

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Im gonna sit in the AC and relax.
    Thats my off season prep.
    I can't stand bug spray, bugs or heat.
    Just as soon hibernate end of May til mid October.

Isn't that the truth! Thankfully I cleared out where my stand will go, but too be honest it'll probably be fall before it goes up. I missed getting it up before the heat and bugs arrived.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I sprayed about a quarter acre with vegetation killer yesterday up north. I'll hit it again in June. My brother in law is going to plow it up for me. Planting winter wheat and alfalfa.
    I built a box blind and took it up in sections. I'll go up next month to raise it and build it. Looks like this one. IMG_20220827_143447924.jpg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Is it true most people spray herbicide on the sunflowers ? I thought planting in may allowed them to be dropping seeds by sept 1st……

I am not huge on using chemicals. Actually the ONLY thing I use it for is my deer plot and that is simply because I don’t have the heavy equipment and I have a healthy fear of fire.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I sprayed about a quarter acre with vegetation killer yesterday up north. I'll hit it again in June. My brother in law is going to plow it up for me. Planting winter wheat and alfalfa.
    I built a box blind and took it up in sections. I'll go up next month to raise it and build it. Looks like this one. View attachment 351011
    I sure wish I had mine built in sections…. Lol I’m using those elevator brackets and 10’ 4x4 but then after I get it up…. I am going to have some SERIOUS tree work since I’m sure the view will be greatly obstructed with the new angle.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Isn't that the truth! Thankfully I cleared out where my stand will go, but too be honest it'll probably be fall before it goes up. I missed getting it up before the heat and bugs arrived.
    By fall around here it will be thick again lol go out on one of these cold mornings we have left. Bugs will be sleeping or dying whatever

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Idk if you’re much of a duck guy or if you’re even near water but I grow a lot of Japanese and Barn millet on my property. If you want I can share some for duck bait or you can use them to plant your own.
    Thanks for the offer I don’t know ANYTHING about ducks I am a self taught hunter / land manager lol and I’ve only been at it almost 10 years. Ducks are one of the few things I haven’t hunted in fact I think ducks quail and geese are the only Indiana species I do not hunt. Mainly because lack of knowledge and time.

do the ducks land in those field or are they planted by water??? Like I posted I am hoping to get a pond dug so maybe ducks will be in my future…..

Top Bottom