• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Opening morning of the Indiana spring turkey season was interesting. Right at daylight, 3 deer worked across a big field out in front of me. Shortly after, a fox appeared in the field and began running intentionally AT the deer. I thought the damned thing was going to try to take a deer down. They watched it coming at them, and when it was about 80 yards from them, they began high stepping at the fox. He quickly turned around and headed back where he came from.

Twenty minutes later, turkeys began working their way into the field. I saw five total-three toms and two hens. By 7:15, this guy was down.

1714231810444.png

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    8,930 birds checked in as of this morning. Hopefully there are some left for me when I get to hunt this week! I am at work now, but the truck is loaded and hopefully I can get a hunt in this afternoon. We are supposed to have rain and storms pretty much everyday I am there, but hopefully I will get to hunt some each day.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    8,930 birds checked in as of this morning. Hopefully there are some left for me when I get to hunt this week! I am at work now, but the truck is loaded and hopefully I can get a hunt in this afternoon. We are supposed to have rain and storms pretty much everyday I am there, but hopefully I will get to hunt some each day.
    I've been seeing birds everywhere in the rain. Even with the wind blowing. You have a chance!

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Been out since seasons start and have only heard THREE toms. They were a fair distance away and had no desire to head towards us. Well, there is this pm and then …

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Been out since seasons start and have only heard THREE toms. They were a fair distance away and had no desire to head towards us. Well, there is this pm and then …
    Oftentimes toms come to the call without any gobbling at all. Supposedly 2-year old birds do the bulk of the gobbling. Older toms especially may come to a call quietly. I have learned to sit extremely still, keep focused and hyper aware, and to sit as long as possible even if it appears that nothing is going on.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    That i
    Oftentimes toms come to the call without any gobbling at all. Supposedly 2-year old birds do the bulk of the gobbling. Older toms especially may come to a call quietly. I have learned to sit extremely still, keep focused and hyper aware, and to sit as long as possible even if it appears that nothing is going on.
    That is absolutely the truth.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    Opening morning of the Indiana spring turkey season was interesting. Right at daylight, 3 deer worked across a big field out in front of me. Shortly after, a fox appeared in the field and began running intentionally AT the deer. I thought the damned thing was going to try to take a deer down. They watched it coming at them, and when it was about 80 yards from them, they began high stepping at the fox. He quickly turned around and headed back where he came from.

Twenty minutes later, turkeys began working their way into the field. I saw five total-three toms and two hens. By 7:15, this guy was down.

View attachment 349312
    I called a red fox into my set Saturday morning. :lmfao:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    First ever turkey this afternoon….. went out this morning got soaked and discouraged….. outside cleaning in the yard wife says I think I heard a gobble before the words left her mouth I was in my ghillie suit and walking out into the woods… set my decoy and I got in a tree stand because…. I’m deer hunter lol.

Sat quietly nothing happening even with the crows so I yelp out of boredom and desperation responds immediately he is out in my neighbors field. I don’t respond….. he starts gobbling again I respond one more time… he comes back. Then I see the black of him and he is all puffed up and blue coming at my wimpy jake decoy. I didn’t call again he hung up like 5yds from the decoy he got a little wierd so I took the shot damages a little breast meat because of my angle…. And nerves.

What a rush.

Attachments

• IMG_7782.jpeg
      IMG_7782.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 10
    • IMG_7788.png
      IMG_7788.png
      2.8 MB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    First ever turkey this afternoon….. went out this morning got soaked and discouraged….. outside cleaning in the yard wife says I think I heard a gobble before the words left her mouth I was in my ghillie suit and walking out into the woods… set my decoy and I got in a tree stand because…. I’m deer hunter lol.

Sat quietly nothing happening even with the crows so I yelp out of boredom and desperation responds immediately he is out in my neighbors field. I don’t respond….. he starts gobbling again I respond one more time… he comes back. Then I see the black of him and he is all puffed up and blue coming at my wimpy jake decoy. I didn’t call again he hung up like 5yds from the decoy he got a little wierd so I took the shot damages a little breast meat because of my angle…. And nerves.

What a rush.
    Congratulations!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    I had a good first morning out yesterday. I had 3 Tom's come in off the roost. Watched the boss strut, gobble and drum like crazy. His 2 buddies weren't really into it, but the boss was. Closest he got was about 60 yards, but he wouldn't come down into the cedar thicket I was set up in.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom