• ...and so much more!
  • SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    Not seeing em, but been hearing em, it’s to dark to see very far when I take the morons out in the morning. Been hearing quite a few, pheasant also, that makes me happy.
    ——————————————————————————————

Apparently I forgot to hit “post reply earlier this eve” just saw this.

Now second thought, is a German Shepherd Dog a legal weapon for taking turkey in Indiana? :lmfao:
    I have a hard enough time getting my moron to come inside if there is a squirrel or rabbit around. if there were pheasants he would NEVER come inside. (German shorthaired pointer)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Tried a bunch on public land over the years. Reserved hunts, draws etc. never did have any luck. Turkeys have been my Achilles heel- the one thing I’ve hunted hard and had zero success with. Had a shot at some private land with a friend this year and was hoping to give it a go again but he just had shoulder surgery so he’s out this year. The turkeys win again
    Best advice I can offer is camo everything but your eyeballs. Sit still as if your life depended on it and if you have any trouble with that get yourself a pop up blind of some sort. There are various typos out there that ca stow smaller and easier than what you'd see people using for whitetail. All you need is something a few feet in front of you that conceals up to your chest. That way you can move your hands and feet, look at your phone or whatever without detection.

A turkey's eyesight is pretty incredible.They can and will see you 50 yards before you'll see them in the woods, if you move. (A good comparison/test on their eyesight is trying to sneak up on a chicken if you know anyone who has them.)

Second tip would be call about 25% as much as you're tempted to but this can depend on where you're hunting. If you're on public ground with much pressure at all you're honestly better off setting up and not making a sound (safer too). If you're on unpressured private ground you can sometimes get away with more calling but less is usually more, they'll turn off quick if they suspect something isn't right and a tom sitting in the same place hollerin consistently for too long will do it.

Third tip would be to scout if at all possible. You don't have to see them in the roost or even know which tree they're in but if you can get them to gobble once or twice right at sunset you can get an idea of approximately where they are. If there's an open area or field close to where their roosting, the far side of that would be a decent place to sneak in to slowly and well before daylight, especially if you're putting out decoys. They don't see well in the dark but they don't have to see much, a vague shadow moving in that opening will ensure they'll pitch down and go the other way. We've considered going in and setting up two hours before daylight on super skittish birds, just been too lazy to actually do it lol.

P.S. Please don't go into the woods to practice your calling before season. Calls don't have to be anywhere near perfect to work and they can be easily educated.

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    Best advice I can offer is camo everything but your eyeballs. Sit still as if your life depended on it and if you have any trouble with that get yourself a pop up blind of some sort. There are various typos out there that ca stow smaller and easier than what you'd see people using for whitetail. All you need is something a few feet in front of you that conceals up to your chest. That way you can move your hands and feet, look at your phone or whatever without detection.

A turkey's eyesight is pretty incredible.They can and will see you 50 yards before you'll see them in the woods, if you move. (A good comparison/test on their eyesight is trying to sneak up on a chicken if you know anyone who has them.)

Second tip would be call about 25% as much as you're tempted to but this can depend on where you're hunting. If you're on public ground with much pressure at all you're honestly better off setting up and not making a sound (safer too). If you're on unpressured private ground you can sometimes get away with more calling but less is usually more, they'll turn off quick if they suspect something isn't right and a tom sitting in the same place hollerin consistently for too long will do it.

Third tip would be to scout if at all possible. You don't have to see them in the roost or even know which tree they're in but if you can get them to gobble once or twice right at sunset you can get an idea of approximately where they are. If there's an open area or field close to where their roosting, the far side of that would be a decent place to sneak in to slowly and well before daylight, especially if you're putting out decoys. They don't see well in the dark but they don't have to see much, a vague shadow moving in that opening will ensure they'll pitch down and go the other way. We've considered going in and setting up two hours before daylight on super skittish birds, just been too lazy to actually do it lol.

P.S. Please don't go into the woods to practice your calling before season. Calls don't have to be anywhere near perfect to work and they can be easily educated.
    Great tips. I’ve done most of the above. I’ve had hens 10 yards in front of me on public but that’s the extent of my luck- nothing shootable!

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    If you had hens that close with no problems then it's just a matter of luck and location. Keep after it, that first one is the best.
    This thread makes me want to go chase thunder chickens again. Haven’t done it in a few years (life got busy) then I broke my leg last April.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I usually run an 870 Express Supermag 23". Remington Superfull choketube.

3.5" gun, but just use 3" high velocity 4 shot.
    Run same in my 1100 Special Purpose w 26" bbl. Ran that ammo, those guns, for years.

Bought some Magnum Blend and it patterns fine.
    just havent had a turkey cooperate since.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Much prefer my 870 over my 1100.
    Its lighter.

Getting up early, long drives, then some run n gun...........gets to wearing on ya pretty quick.
    Figured that out about 10 yrs ago LOL

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    I usually run an 870 Express Supermag 23". Remington Superfull choketube.

3.5" gun, but just use 3" high velocity 4 shot.
    Run same in my 1100 Special Purpose w 26" bbl. Ran that ammo, those guns, for years.

Bought some Magnum Blend and it patterns fine.
    just havent had a turkey cooperate since.
    I like the magnum blend. Although my box is probably 10 years old now :dunno:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    If you had hens that close with no problems then it's just a matter of luck and location. Keep after it, that first one is the best.
    I'm guna assume not many hunt turkey in the eastern middle part of starke county. Areas would be around 400/us35 area. Each year about may, we'd get big flocks with babies in our back yard. I could get fairly close at about 10yards before they'd scatter. This is when i found out even babies could fly so young. .yea..i was trying to catch 1 or 2..lol
    Other areas i see lots are off the county line road on my way to Ancilla college. Didn't see them this morning, so they either moved on or are spead out in the woods. I usually see a good size heard of deer on 9th road i think is what the college road is.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I think your odds have increased. From what I've seen, I believe the numbers are still increasing across the state.
    In my area, it sure seems like the population is WAY down this year. My trail cams catch a few here but only 3-4 birds at a time. Most years it's double that or more.
    I also travel the same back roads to work daily. Quite a bit of bottom grounds, alongside some hardwoods and creeks. Typically some phenomenal hunting. In past years, you would see large flocks out there daily this time of year. So far, I've only seen one larger flock 15+. Most days they are empty. I did see 2 Jakes and 1 hen this morning, but nothing like years past.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    In my area, it sure seems like the population is WAY down this year. My trail cams catch a few here but only 3-4 birds at a time. Most years it's double that or more.
    I also travel the same back roads to work daily. Quite a bit of bottom grounds, alongside some hardwoods and creeks. Typically some phenomenal hunting. In past years, you would see large flocks out there daily this time of year. So far, I've only seen one larger flock 15+. Most days they are empty. I did see 2 Jakes and 1 hen this morning, but nothing like years past.
    I know there are areas where the population can vary pretty wildly but I was talking more from a statewide perspective. I don't think Indiana has reached "max capacity" so to speak, I think we'll continue to see the overall population increase.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I know there are areas where the population can vary pretty wildly but I was talking more from a statewide perspective. I don't think Indiana has reached "max capacity" so to speak, I think we'll continue to see the overall population increase.
    My particular area has seen the bobcat population increase dramatically in the past year. It went from hearing people say, I think I saw or I possibly might have one camera, to I have multiple pictures a week, seen them on trail and road rides , and a few dead on the road.

I personally think they have a huge impact on turkeys and any small game. Our rabbit population dropped immensely this year as well. We rabbit hunt about 500 acres between my place and my neighbors and only got 2 or 3.

I believe the turkey and small game will adapt and hopefully thrive but the first few years with a new predator around will be extremely tough on them. I do want I can to help them flourish, but bobcats aren't fair game just yet.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My particular area has seen the bobcat population increase dramatically in the past year. It went from hearing people say, I think I saw or I possibly might have one camera, to I have multiple pictures a week, seen them on trail and road rides , and a few dead on the road.

I personally think they have a huge impact on turkeys and any small game. Our rabbit population dropped immensely this year as well. We rabbit hunt about 500 acres between my place and my neighbors and only got 2 or 3.

I believe the turkey and small game will adapt and hopefully thrive but the first few years with a new predator around will be extremely tough on them. I do want I can to help them flourish, but bobcats aren't fair game just yet.
    It'll be interesting to see how opening day goes for us. We've had no shortage of cat pics on our place and so far haven't gotten many pics of longbeards. Last year we had five different toms on the 90 acres and saw all of them before 2pm.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We've had birds collecting at this particular spot pretty regularly in the afternoons for the past week. They all showed up this afternoon without heads. I don't know what to aim for come opening day now. Do I need a special tag for ghost gobblers?
    ITxGDCUl.jpg

Top Bottom