• ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    11,955 birds checked in so far as of this morning. I have been guiding for my buddy Ray and we got on 2 Toms this morning. They ran us up and down hills until 10:15 or so and then all was quiet. We were close enough to hear the rattle in his chest at the end of the gobble and drumming, but never laid eyes on them.

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    11,955 birds checked in so far as of this morning. I have been guiding for my buddy Ray and we got on 2 Toms this morning. They ran us up and down hills until 10:15 or so and then all was quiet. We were close enough to hear the rattle in his chest at the end of the gobble and drumming, but never laid eyes on them.
    12,703 this morning.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Chased off some trespassers, their poor calling and the siren song of the cell phone gave away their position. They heard me coming on the ATV and ran across the border. Thousands of acres of HNF ground surrounding me and I still can't get people to stay off my ground.

Have not seen or heard any birds the times I've been out.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Chased off some trespassers, their poor calling and the siren song of the cell phone gave away their position. They heard me coming on the ATV and ran across the border. Thousands of acres of HNF ground surrounding me and I still can't get people to stay off my ground.

Have not seen or heard any birds the times I've been out.
    I`ve heard many property owners say that they spend as much time running trespassers off as they do hunting themselves. It is their responsibility to KNOW that they are on HNF property and not private property.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We sat for several hours yesterday morning with nothing coming close but they gobbled for the first two hours of light. Went back out to a different spot this morning and had two pairs gobbling at us from the after about the first 45 minutes of light. They gobbled, we'd call occasionally, they'd gobble some more. That went on until around 9:30 when one popped his head just up over the clover and checked out the decoys for about two minutes before heading back the direction he came. He was right at 50yds and my partner could have killed him but we couldn't tell if it was a tom or a jake.

Around 10:45 two jakes came in, walked through the decoys and kept on going. About 5 minutes later the other pair of jakes came in the same way but went eventually went back in to the woods and popped back out 100yds south and crossed the field headed east.

That was my season. I'm ok with it, I've got a lot going on and didn't have the time I usually do but I'm disappointed we couldn't get my partner a bird.

Congrats to everyone who has filled a tag and good luck to those still trying!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Saw a ton of birds out strutting on my way to and from the cabin this weekend. Heard some gobbles up there and had a hen walk across the porch Saturday morning. Had to run off some mushroom poachers this morning. Pulled right in like they owned the place. Left when they saw me grab my rifle and start up the drive.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    13,278 this morning.

I think the DNR estimates that on average each season, about 19% of spring turkey hunters are successful. So those of us who scored are extremely blessed.

Last edited:

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Saw more turkeys this year so far than any other year. Even saw an albino one.

Was doing some hiking yesterday. While bushwhacking, I heard a gobble that had to have been a few yards away. Outside of the tree line was a lone male in a field looking in the opposite direction with his feathers fanned out and everything. Must have been deaf or dumb because as I exited the tree line it didn't even acknowledge my presence. It was close enough to take out with a .38 snub nose. I obviously had no intention on shooting it, though if I was hunting, it would have been an easy hunt. Made me wish I brought my camera, though.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Saw more turkeys this year so far than any other year. Even saw an albino one.

Was doing some hiking yesterday. While bushwhacking, I heard a gobble that had to have been a few yards away. Outside of the tree line was a lone male in a field looking in the opposite direction with his feathers fanned out and everything. Must have been deaf or dumb because as I exited the tree line it didn't even acknowledge my presence. It was close enough to take out with a .38 snub nose. I obviously had no intention on shooting it, though if I was hunting, it would have been an easy hunt. Made me wish I brought my camera, though.
    Thank you for being lawful and ethical.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Thank you for being lawful and ethical.
    Always. When I hike, even when doing conditioning hikes at my uncle's where I carry a loaded AR-10, I never have any intentions of hunting. The only exception would be the groundhogs that keep destroying his property, however there's always a party going on when I see them, so I can't ever pull the trigger. That's also how I learned that they can climb trees.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    13,537 birds checked in as of this morning. We might beat last year's total harvest but I highly doubt it. We have passed 2022's harvest total.
    The birds here in Perry Co. are pretty quiet. I'm not seeing nor hearing any hens. I'm pretty sure they are nesting pretty hard.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom