• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Hey fellas I've been thinking of trying to get into 3gun next year. The one thing I lack is a suitable shotgun. So what would be a nice 20ga that would fit the bill and also could double as a HD gun for my wife (thus the need for a 20ga) thanks guys!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Yea I've looked into that model. I just can't seem to be able to find one in any shop.

that's when internet shopping is nice :)
    find a local place that will do transfers for around $20, and u can generally avoid sales tax as well (if it ships from another state)
    I like impactguns, kygunco, grabagun, buds, joeboboutfitters, woodburyoutfitters, etc.

p.s.this is under the assumption that sometimes it's worth it to buy without getting your hands on one. If you've never held one, I (like many) am a little hesitant to purchase online. But, it loses very little value, and you can try it out for a few months and then sell it if you don't love.

p.p.s. -- what are the rules for using 20 ga in 3gun match?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Remington LT1100, my first deer gun. Not too heavy and with a 20 gauge it doesn't kick as bad. I really like mine, I've just moved up to 12 gauge for deer with my 1187

chipsher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Logansport
    I went cheap last year and used a 20 gauge 870 w/20" barrel and a choate mag extension. The only real problem is finding ammo pouches for reloading. A semi-auto would probably be better for your wife unless she's comfortable with a pump gun.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    870 youth is a 20 guage that works well for smaller framed people. Don't know if that will work for you for three gun though. It has about 1 in shorter length of pull than the standard 870.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    that's when internet shopping is nice :)
    find a local place that will do transfers for around $20, and u can generally avoid sales tax as well (if it ships from another state)
    I like impactguns, kygunco, grabagun, buds, joeboboutfitters, woodburyoutfitters, etc.

p.s.this is under the assumption that sometimes it's worth it to buy without getting your hands on one. If you've never held one, I (like many) am a little hesitant to purchase online. But, it loses very little value, and you can try it out for a few months and then sell it if you don't love.

p.p.s. -- what are the rules for using 20 ga in 3gun match?

Yea very true I may end up going that route if I decide to go with the SA series. An I don't see why you couldn't use a 20ga?... Im not looking to set any records, I just want to go an try it out an have a little fun in process.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Benelli M2 with Nordic +5 mag tube so it goes 8+1. As I recall you can take it to 10+1 but I also use this gun in the field so I felt it was overkill. I got the American model which is a no frills M2 but I think they have dropped that version since late last year. I am going to make an over sized bolt handle and release for it this winter. If they turn out good I may offer them online. My plan all along was to use it in 3 gun myself or at least my better half will. Few years back I also had Urabn ERT customize a belt for me to hold 20's sticking up a bit so they would be easier to grab. I really need to go use this set up more.

26" barrel, an extended Carlson IC choke tube in it. I will be using it Saturday for the Grouse opener. Even with the mag stuffed full, it carries nice. Sometimes I leave the house with the gun full and a few extra shells in my pocket.

232323232%7Ffp734%3A%3A%3Enu%3D4548%3E98%3B%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D348%3A5%3A6%3A45346nu0mrj

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would check out what they are using at 3 gun matches. You may not have to get the exact brand or model, but that is where you will get the biggest amount of information on the features you need to be competitive. There are some really good shotguns that may not be competitive in that game due to rapid reloading charactoristics. Those who are already accomplished at the 3 gun game have already figured out what works. I am not up to date in the 3 gun game, but I will bet some sort of semi auto is the current king of the hill.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    seems a lot of folks on another forum are raving about the stoeger m3000, semiauto 12GA. inertia driven like its more expensive bretheren, but at half the price. looks like a good entry level shotgun, with lots of 3gun mods showing up all the time.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've got a Mossberg in 20 that I'm happy with. Got it at Gander on sale a few years back and it came with two interchangeable barrels. Good deal for about $300.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I think I may take a look at the SA20 from Mossberg also. I just found out that Choate makes a +3 extension for it making it 8+1 so that would get my capacity up were Id need it for 3 gun plus make the wife a decent HD on the side also.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Rem makes a seven shot synthetic 870 in 20 . It would be inexpensive compared to semi.

I would go FN self loading police. Buy once cry once. I am currently shooting a Benelux Nova in 20. Saving for an SLP.

So fast soft and smooth. Barrowed one for three gun and was blown away by it ability to lay down fire like no other. Dont even want to go again with my pump now.

Top Bottom