• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Talked to the guy at the gun counter the other day at Wal-Mart. I asked them if their receiving clerks get first dib on all the .22LR. He said no that they have not had much in the last 2 years. I know that the Dick's sporting goods stores in the Cincinnati area get their shipments in usually on Sunday morning. They sometimes have .22LR bricks for sale. The best place honestly (I have several thousands of .22LR) is to buy it online. I know Gander Mountain had boxes of 100 round Golden Bullets tonight for $7.99 per box with a limit of 7 boxes and free shipping over $25. It's a "special" but you have to be willing to look for the online sales and the free shipping deals is when to stock up. For those who say they don't like to pay the extra cent or two per round online, I ask them "how much are you spenidng in gasoline money driving from store to store only to find bare shelves?"

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't know if the ammo manufacturers have changed their process at all, but I distinctly remember watching a video several years ago showing how they make .22LR, and I was shocked to see the priming process being done by hand.
    They had a kind of box with a screen on the bottom, and a guy was swirling the formed cases around to get the priming compound into the rims.
    I may not have some of the details exactly right, and I don't recall the rest of the process, since I saw the video so long ago; but it's likely that the process hasn't really been automated in all these years since, which could explain much of the shortage.
    You have to wonder just how much finding a way to cost-effectively automate the process would help production.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ya gotta pay if ya wanna play. If you want to shoot just order it online and wait. You'll spend $10+ in gas driving around, searching and not finding it.

I drive all over for work (on an expense report haha) and found a few hundred round boxes at stores like Rural King. It was easier to just order 1000 rounds online a couple days ago while sitting on the terlit at work. I already have it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Here is a good video showing how .22 is manufactured for CCI. The priming was done in bulk and then swirled into the rims by a machine. Can't say that is how it is done everywhere, but the process is interesting to watch.

Outdoor Channel | Watch Videos Shooting

Thanks!
    The priming process was pretty much as I remember it.
    Maybe they still do it without automation out of safety concerns.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I was up in the northern stretches of North Dakota last week. My cousin was telling me it is hard to find up there as well; a little easier at the local stores, but prices are higher. Happened to stop by a Walmart and was told it sells out the same day it comes in.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    The last couple of weeks both times I've been in Wally World I have been able to buy my 3 box limit of .22's. Both times have been in the middle of the day.The clerk said it has been coming in fairly regular recently. They were Winchester 333 rd. hp boxes at $ 17.37

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    There's an LGS in the Indy area that still has quite a bit of Remington for $29.99 per 500.

I try to stop in and get a box every payday.

I'd tell you guys where it is, but then you jackals would go and buy it all.

Do they still? Last time I was there (a couple weeks ago) the giant pallet was gone off the floor, though they still had boxes on the shelf.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Do they still? Last time I was there (a couple weeks ago) the giant pallet was gone off the floor, though they still had boxes on the shelf.

There was still a couple dozen boxes when I went in last week. They also had some premium stuff for $80 per 500.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Its available although the cost is too high for me. I just off loaded my last gun for it.

Seems like the stuff on the shelf is also nothing I would shoot. Junk golden bullets and win bulk.

It is nation wide. Relatives have called me looking.

Sell off while prices are high and rebut later if you got to.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Was at two different stores yesterday in Muncie and both guys behind the counter said same thing about the .22 shortage only being in Indiana. Rumors!

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I was in Oregon 2 weeks ago and they had some.. not much but it sells out fast... I hoped to hit a few shops to see but went other places instead... hoping for the day when it sets on the shelf and some "jackal" is not sucking it up to sell online for a big profit...

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    It is kind of hit or miss. I am lucky to live near Gander/Dicks, so I can 'just stop by' every day or so. I will pay 10 cents per round for mini mags, or CCI standard, but no for anything else. Gander had Saturday only sales, but you had to be there before the doors opened to get some.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Isn't it sad how this protracted .22 LR shortage has changed the language over from talking about boxes or bricks to price ratio over to price per round?
    "I paid $30 for a brick" or "I made a real score...$2.40 for a box of 50" has become "I was able to get it for 10 cents per round."
    SMH

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't know about the whole country, but .22LR is tough to find in Knoxville, TN and Dallas, Texas. High end match grade stuff is generally available at the normal sources. The portion of the market that shoots 25 to 45 cents per shot .22's is pretty much the same as it always was.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Just go to any flea market and you will find plenty of it for sale. Just be prepared to spend a premium for it. Last weekend one vendor had 8' tables full of various boxes of .22lr and .22 wmr. I just can't bring myself to spend $13 for a box of .22's or $25 for magnums though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just go to any flea market and you will find plenty of it for sale. Just be prepared to spend a premium for it. Last weekend one vendor had 8' tables full of various boxes of .22lr and .22 wmr. I just can't bring myself to spend $13 for a box of .22's or $25 for magnums though.

Takes a lot of nads to be a parasite like that and still look people in the eye?

Top Bottom