• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I currently carry a S&W Md 60-9 .357 snub. Its a great gun,however. After shooting about 50 rds thru it at the range (w/.357 ammo), my hand was killing me. I can shoot it pretty accurately, but I am afraid if the SHTF I wouldnt be as accurate as I would like to be.
    I have had a Taurus Md 94 22 revolver snub, but it was a piece of crap. I have had a Ruger Standard, but too big to carry. I live in Florida and currently you can only carry concealed.
    I want a good, accurate, higher capacity conceal carry .22 or .22mag.
    I prefer revolvers, but might consider a pistol.
    Recommendations? Thanks

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Something like a S&W Model 317 would give you a similar manual of arms so you could practice more cheaply and with less discomfort.

However, I wouldn't switch to it over the M60 as a carry gun (to say nothing of a SHTF gun). It's highly unlikely you'll ever shoot, in a defensive situation, anything close to 50 rounds from your revolver.

Smith & Wesson 317 .22 LR 1-7/8" Airlite $557.00 SHIPS FREE

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I would learn to handle the .357. At the very least you could carry it loaded with .38 special if the recoil is really too much for you. I personally would not want to rely on the stopping power of a .22 rim-fire.

Are you dead set on revolvers? Something in 9mm might be more manageable without getting you killed for annoying your assailant.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I agree, downscale to 38 spl, use +P and see what you think. If still too much, use non +P. If you are going to carry something I suggest more that a .22.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I currently carry a S&W Md 60-9 .357 snub. Its a great gun,however. After shooting about 50 rds thru it at the range (w/.357 ammo), my hand was killing me. I can shoot it pretty accurately, but I am afraid if the SHTF I wouldnt be as accurate as I would like to be.
    I have had a Taurus Md 94 22 revolver snub, but it was a piece of crap. I have had a Ruger Standard, but too big to carry. I live in Florida and currently you can only carry concealed.
    I want a good, accurate, higher capacity conceal carry .22 or .22mag.
    I prefer revolvers, but might consider a pistol.
    Recommendations? Thanks

SMITH & WESSON 2214:twocents::yesway::rockwoot:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I would learn to handle the .357. At the very least you could carry it loaded with .38 special if the recoil is really too much for you. I personally would not want to rely on the stopping power of a .22 rim-fire.

Are you dead set on revolvers? Something in 9mm might be more manageable without getting you killed for annoying your assailant.

I agree, downscale to 38 spl, use +P and see what you think. If still too much, use non +P. If you are going to carry something I suggest more that a .22.

Great advice from both of these members. I also would rather carry either your .357 loaded in .38spl or a 9mm pistol over a .22 if I was relying on it for defensive carry.

I sometimes CC a Glock 26 and with a finger extension on the mag it is a pretty comfortable gun to shoot and they are easy to CC under a T-shirt. With a reload mag you are now carrying 21 rds. of 9mm ready to go. Gotta love that for defense for when STHF!!!!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I too have to agree with the others about trying some .38 spl rounds and see if that is better for you. Sure a .22 is better than nothing, but if you are going to trust your life with it then I would at least try a few other options first. Besides its lack of stopping power in a .22, rimfire ammo is also not as reliable. Just my :twocents:
    Nothing wrong with getting a .22 to have fun at the range with though! I have a rifle, revolver, and semiauto handgun chambered in .22 lr and I love shooting them all day. Plus I can afford to shoot them all day! :D

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty

It would be better to hit with the .22 than to miss with the .357 . Remember RFK was killed by one shot from an Iver - Johnson.22 .

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Great advice from both of these members. I also would rather carry either your .357 loaded in .38spl or a 9mm pistol over a .22 if I was relying on it for defensive carry.

I sometimes CC a Glock 26 and with a finger extension on the mag it is a pretty comfortable gun to shoot and they are easy to CC under a T-shirt. With a reload mag you are now carrying 21 rds. of 9mm ready to go. Gotta love that for defense for when STHF!!!!

I carry the G26. wtfd661 is correct. Easy to conceal, easy to shoot accurately, economical to train. I tried the Ruger 101 in .357 magnum. I could only shoot one cylinder before my hand forced an end to practice. We moved down to the .38SPL for training, and that was manageable for the hand. When I tried the G26, though, I knew what I wanted to carry.

Neezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    i know everyone is recomending no less then a 38, but as most would say, it is better to have a .22 then nothing at all. that being said, i have a .22 ruger sp101 six shot. it is fun, rare, and the holsters for the sp101 are everywhere

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Pardon me while I drag in my soapbox;). There are some good reasons to look at something smaller; but bigger is always better.

But, when you consider you are going to CC for SD, statistically it's going to be used the most under 10 feet. And, I suspect most of us are not going empty the gun, but who knows. So, what's the most rounds you are going to shoot from a .357; maybe 6? If it's more, and you need to reload, you've got some much larger problems.

I have a few pistols I do not remotely consider range guns. Specifically, a KelTec P-11 and a P32. If I ran a whole box...well, I wouldn't. Shooting is supposed to be fun. However, if the need should arise, I could easily fire 8 to 13 rounds without needing to take a couple of Tylanol. Especially if I need to defend myself and the adrienaline was pumping, I'm not sure I'd even notice. How many of you combat vets, when the fire fight was over, sat there thing "man, that really hurts"? Heck, more than a few of us were behind a tree making sure we hadn't wet ourselves.

Some good suggestions, though. Practice with the .38s and carry them, or the .357s, for SD..:twocents: Thanks for reading thru my rant, we now return you to our regular programming.

Top Bottom