• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    it can be a blast, i held a ingo competition about 9 months ago. we shot 4 or 6 inch targets at 250yds. its pretty cool watching your bullet hit the target while your crosshairs are still on bull

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Glad somebody brought up the idea of 22 handguns at 100 yrds, it is very possible and some of the most fun you can have.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Glad somebody brought up the idea of 22 handguns at 100 yrds, it is very possible and some of the most fun you can have.

Pssst... Just don't tell anyone that I had to do that video several times to get that group. Let's just keep that between us... Mum's the word.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    it can be a blast, i held a ingo competition about 9 months ago. we shot 4 or 6 inch targets at 250yds. its pretty cool watching your bullet hit the target while your crosshairs are still on bull
    And that was a HOOT! Speaking of which, Have you set a date/ picked a format for next April yet? I just built a toggle bolt 10/22 for entertainment and I'm gonna try it out tomorrow.:yesway::yesway::yesway:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have an old Mossberg model 144 bolt gun with a bull barrel. I bought it in the early '80's for $50.
    With bulk ammo, my brothers and I used to pick off walnuts set about 100 yds out in the back yard.

Practice, practice, practice. I once watched video of a retirted sherrif out in Arizona shooting a .38spl snub-nose at a "man-size" target at a distance of 400 yards. He had about a 30" or so hold over, but he consistantly hit a target about 3 feet in diameter, with a .38spl snubbie at 400 yards!

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Well, the way it looked on Top Shot, a good shooter can take someone else's gun he has only shot once and hit a golf ball at 100 yards in high wind off of a cold bore shot. Oh, and that is off of the 25 yard zero it had last time they shot it.

I have said, I call BS about that shot several times. Everyone I say it to claims that they can do it with their rifle. First, it wasn't his rifle. Second, it wasn't zeroed to 100 yards the last time they shot that rifle. Third, it was a cold bore. Fourth, did the shooter happend to know the drop of that brand of bullet at 100 yards? Etc.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    And that was a HOOT! Speaking of which, Have you set a date/ picked a format for next April yet? I just built a toggle bolt 10/22 for entertainment and I'm gonna try it out tomorrow.:yesway::yesway::yesway:

not yet, im still trying to decide what to do. ive done 2 now and it really seams like the most fin is had after the competition just screwing around shooting. im thinking about just doing a free for all this year

BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    I'm shooting a Marlin 795 with a little Simmons 3-9x40 22 mag scope. I stuck a bipod on it today for the first time too.

Hooky, I've got the same gun with the same scope & I love it. Just wondering which bipod you put on it & how you like it. I shoot from a bench with my left arm as my monopod - not as steady as I'd like.

I have to believe that my ammo goes subsonic somewhere between 75 yds & 100 yds, cuz I can hit golf balls & walnuts at 75 yds, but it gets all squirrely at 100 yards. Gonna get some subsonic ammo & see what that does for me.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Now my wheels are turning. I'm going to have to do some research and see what I can come up with. I'm really intrigued by the idea of shooting MOA groups at 100 yards with an inexpensive plinker like the Marlin.

1) For the price, the 795 is great. If you want to shoot at 100 yards, a 3-9x scope isn't quite enough. There are some cheap BSA that can give you 36x fixed magnification or variable magnification of up to 16 or 24 or 32. Found best prices at Natchez Shooters Supply.

2) The trigger is heavy on this gun, and although you can find posts that will tell you how to lighten it, it's not a "one screwdriver" operation.

3) Dick's now has CCI Standard Velocity (1070 fps) in 500 round paper box bricks for $25. This stuff works fine. The CCI Blazer (1260 fps) is usually $20 a brick or less depending on who's got it on sale, but isn't as accurate. Both CCI Blazer and CCI Standard Velocity are better than Federal or Winchester Bulk Pack ammo. CCI Minimags are fine too, but $35 a brick. Save'm for the squirrels.

http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?showtopic=7493

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    22lr

I can shoot comfortably at 100 with my custom 597
    here is one target with multiple distances, left wind approx 2mph
    Ammo CCI 36gr
    My favorite thing to do is set up spent shotgun shells and 54R at 100.

xscd.jpg

cdcd.jpg

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Thanx.

Time for a little online shopping.

You're welcome. Just to clarify, what I meant by higher end rifle is actually a centerfire caliber with more recoil. I had it on a .223 for a while and it was still decent on that.

Thanks to everyone for the info so far on this too.

Last edited:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Your gun should shoot 1" or less at 100 yards. If it does not. Try a different brand of bullet, a different weight of bullet. You will see a major difference when using a a shooting bench. Even two guns of the same make can shoot different.

Ranger_Ranson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    I can shoot 1" groupings at 100yrs with my Savage, but I seem to have a hard time keeping a scope mounted securely on that rifle and often find myself re-field zeroing. I'm looking to buy a good fixed sight .22LR. Any suggestions?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Spend your money on better mounts and optics. You'll likely go through 2-3 other rifles looking for one that shoots as tight as your Savage. If you've ruled out mounts and optics as a cause of the problem, then you have a shooting fundamentals issue, like cheekweld.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I can shoot 1" groupings at 100yrs with my Savage, but I seem to have a hard time keeping a scope mounted securely on that rifle and often find myself re-field zeroing. I'm looking to buy a good fixed sight .22LR. Any suggestions?

scopes dont have to cost 2000 bucks but a to be blunt a 30 dollar package deal scope will get you 30 dollar results. mabye you dont have a junk scope and mounts but thats what it sounds like

Last edited:
    Top Bottom