• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Somehow I overlooked a couple bulk packs of 22LR in the back corner. Even though it has always been stored inside, in an ammo can, it's not reliable anymore as one in 10 is a dud, and similar portion is audibly under-powered. It's from 1992, so the only surprise is how I missed this ammo can for so long, lol!

Looking for a quick and easy (hopefully cheap) 22 bullet puller to separate this out for disposal... since it's over 1,000 rnds, the "screw-on" hammer types just aren't appealing.

if not, alternate disposal ideas?

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Please don't use an inertia type puller on rimfire ammo. Pretty good chance for a detonation.
    At least that's what I've heard.
    Then again I did fire a grenade blank in my basement. Much more exciting than I thought it would be.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yeah, using a bullet puller on rimfire ammo isn't a good idea. Best thing is to sell it with full disclosure, somebody'll buy it and get something out of it. If you don't want to to do that then throw it in a bucket and cover with a light weight oil for a few weeks before trying to pull the bullets.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    The occasional dud, I can handle... it's the occasional "poof" instead of "bang" that bothers me, otherwise I'd just run them thru the 10/22 with the 25 rnd mags.

One in ten, sounds like a typical batch of Thunderbolts...

Shoot ‘em, use pliers to remove the bullet and powder on the ones that don’t fire. Throw the brass in a campfire.

Or as mentioned, sell them cheap with full disclosure. I’d buy them.
    Why... ummm... errmmm... yes, actually they are. In my younger years I wasn't that discriminating.

And, not to make the mods itchy by turning this into a WTS classified, but if anyone is in/near Evansville that wants them, shoot me a PM/Convo.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The occasional dud, I can handle... it's the occasional "poof" instead of "bang" that bothers me, otherwise I'd just run them thru the 10/22 with the 25 rnd mags.
    Why... ummm... errmmm... yes, actually they are. In my younger years I wasn't that discriminating.

And, not to make the mods itchy by turning this into a WTS classified, but if anyone is in/near Evansville that wants them, shoot me a PM/Convo.
    Those Thunderbolts were notorious. And not just an occasional batch - every single batch I had for 20 years were like that. I’d only buy them when they were dirt cheap and use them in my bolt actions.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The problem with experience is that it takes time and memory and no way to know unless you try.

Way back somewhere between 75 to 78 my uncle and I went shooting with them and every time since I ever been around a box of those there would be duds. Maybe they made a billion boxes and their still on the shelf, lol.

Top Bottom