• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Thinking 'bout maybe getting an NAA .22 mag revolver, little single action pocket gun. However years ago I helped sight in a friends new Marlin .22Mag rifle. Once sighted and after seeing how accurate it was, for fun we put a golf ball atop a 1x2in. post and tried to hit it at 100yrds. After several tries from the both of us the ball did not move. I exclaimed that the rifle was accurate and called the next shot to hit three inches below the ball. That shot made the post wobble like it was going to come out of the ground. Upon inspection downrange neither of us missed, several small holes on only one side of the golf ball which never moved. Is the .22Mag a decent choice for backup/deep deep concealment? Thanks.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    In a short barrel it's no better than .22lr. Lotsa flash and noise, teeny little hole, and unless its in the head you'll have one po'd bad guy.

It's been discussed a few dozen times. Anything rimfire or .25ACP in a self defense gun - even as a backup is an "empty the mag into the threat" prospect. Single action and low capacity doesn't help you much.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If I was going to buy a .22 mag revolver, I would want a 4" barrel personally. Even then with a good holster, you could conceal in easily. Also I would carry a lighter grain bullet, like a 30 grain to gain a little extra velocity.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If I was going to buy a .22 mag revolver, I would want a 4" barrel personally. Even then with a good holster, you could conceal in easily. Also I would carry a lighter grain bullet, like a 30 grain to gain a little extra velocity.

This! :)

The tiny .22 mag revolvers are horrid, would be suprised if anyone could hit anything with them (and that is personal experience and many observations). There are a few larger .22 mag revolvers, such as the Taurus Tracker series which I have shot before, not too bad! :) The NAA abhorrations are strictly for fun, not serious defense IMHO.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    .22 mag FMJ out of a 2" barrel will likely get you about 14-ish" of penetration with a bit of yawing and tumbling. HP loads in barrels this short usually don't expand. Needless to say, performance decreases with shorter barrels. IMHO, nothing less than 2" is worthwhile.

.22 Magnum (handgun)
    .22 Magnum

The NAA revolvers are well made. Can be useful as a backup, tertiary, or deep, deep concealment guns. I've read a few accounts by people whose lives were saved by these little last ditch guns.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom