• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I am looking at .22 pistols so I can get more practice time in at the range. 50 rounds every 2 or 3 weeks is all I can afford to shoot my Rock Island .45.

I've got my choices narrowed down to the GSG 1911 .22, or a Ruger MK III target, 5.5" barrel. Logic dictates the GSG, as it is the same in handling and function to the RIA, but something keeps me leaning toward the Ruger.

Any input or suggestions? I haven't ruled out a Buckmark either...:dunno:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you want practice with all the controls the same as your RRA then the german gun is what you need.

If you want smaller groups and a better more accurate plinker the ruger is the way to go with the USA made model. The 22/45 had the same grip angle.

If it was me I would go for the ruger. I like to be versital in my selection of guns so if I had to carry something that I am not all that fimilar with I could do it.Two trains of thought: One that you should always us the same gun. One that you have enough guns so you could get by with almost any handgun.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Ruger Mark III 22/45 with Cocobolo grips feels a lot like a 1911. ~$300 at Plainfield Shooter Supply.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I have the GSG and recommend it, But I am shopping for a 22 for my wife now and we are looking at a Buckmark and a Neos. I really like the buckmark after holding it at firing it.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    In my experience practice is the important thing, no matter what you are shooting. There was a time in my past when I daily put down range 100+ rounds of 38 spl through a S&W Mod 19. After a year or so of that I could pick up anybodies gun and after a round or two at most be outshooting the owner. I've had a half dozen Rugers, have a MKII and just stuck a beautiful MKI on layaway, so it would be my first choice.

Sight picture, stance, hold, trigger pull are what you need to practice, once you really have those down you should be able to shoot anything well.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    +1 for keeping a consistent mechanism. This is a variation on "Beware the man that only owns one gun, he probably knows how to use it". If the 1911 is your consistent carry, then I'd recommend sticking with either the conversion or a 1911-22 format.

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    +1 for keeping a consistent mechanism. This is a variation on "Beware the man that only owns one gun, he probably knows how to use it". If the 1911 is your consistent carry, then I'd recommend sticking with either the conversion or a 1911-22 format.

I completely agree.

Yesterday I picked up a Walther P22. However, I almost got the GSG 1911 22 tactical. One of the reasons why I ended up not getting it is simply because I do not use my 1911's that much. If I were more into my 1911's, I definitely would have picked the GSG up. It did not feel cheap and the trigger was not too bad.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm another fan of the Ruger Mark III 22/45. My son and I have put about 1,000 rounds through mine in the last few months since I bought it.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I have a gsg-1911, and its an utter blast to shoot, esp when you combine it with a 22 can.

Alternatively a conversion kit could work if you want to keep with the RIA feel. I have one on my g17, and while its not exactly the same, its pretty damn close...

Top Bottom