• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I need some advice guys...My eyes are approaching 50 (although my maturity remains at the 12-15 year old level according to my better half....)

I picked up a 1964 Marlin 39a (my birth year) with the good steel marlin scope base...I am wanting to scope it to shoot at some squirrels next season but I don't want to put a new style scope on it...It had a vintage Bushnell 22 scopechief on it and while accurate (once I sighted it in) it's light gathering ability leaves something to be desired...I am sure in 1964 it was a good scope but age and the fact that manufacturers did not take scopes for .22's "serious" back then makes me want to locate a vintage full size scope..I looked at ebay and gunbroker and there are a dazzling array of options none of which I know anything about...I know a 3/4 tube isn't going to work but if any body has some ideas on a good 60's vinatge 4x full size scope option I would sure appreciate it...Hopefully I can find one with rings so the weapon will be "period correct" but still usable....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I need some advice guys...My eyes are approaching 50 (although my maturity remains at the 12-15 year old level according to my better half....)

I picked up a 1964 Marlin 39a (my birth year) with the good steel marlin scope base...I am wanting to scope it to shoot at some squirrels next season but I don't want to put a new style scope on it...It had a vintage Bushnell 22 scopechief on it and while accurate (once I sighted it in) it's light gathering ability leaves something to be desired...I am sure in 1964 it was a good scope but age and the fact that manufacturers did not take scopes for .22's "serious" back then makes me want to locate a vintage full size scope..I looked at ebay and gunbroker and there are a dazzling array of options none of which I know anything about...I know a 3/4 tube isn't going to work but if any body has some ideas on a good 60's vinatge 4x full size scope option I would sure appreciate it...Hopefully I can find one with rings so the weapon will be "period correct" but still usable....

You cant really get new technoligy light gathering, in a vintage scope. In the 60's we just didnt have the coatings, etc we have today.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    You might try Weaver. You can get a fixed power 4x in a 1" tube. These scopes are pretty plain and not 'tactical' looking. i just bought a 1-3 x 20 for my 10/22.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You cant really get new technoligy light gathering, in a vintage scope. In the 60's we just didnt have the coatings, etc we have today.

I know brother...But there is something about putting the latest, greatest, and coolest on an old lever gun that I just can't do...Hell...I even still wear "gasp" wooden/stag grips on MOST of my weapons...I am not saying I am right or smart...It's just something I can't do..I would sacrifice a squirrel to low light or maybe wait another 10 minutes for Mr. Sun to come peeking above the horizon...Barring "End of Days" I am (usually) confident that it will rise.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I know brother...But there is something about putting the latest, greatest, and coolest on an old lever gun that I just can't do...Hell...I even still wear "gasp" wooden/stag grips on MOST of my weapons...I am not saying I am right or smart...It's just something I can't do..I would sacrifice a squirrel to low light or maybe wait another 10 minutes for Mr. Sun to come peeking above the horizon...Barring "End of Days" I am (usually) confident that it will rise.

Understood, by your first post I got the impression you were not satisfied with your original scope from the the 60's and were wanting to buy another exppecting diffrent results. As long as you realize preformance will be limited and are willing to accept that go for it.

I dont know a ton about vintage scopes, but I have always read that unertal (spelling?) and the weaver k series were the ones to get. I have no first hand experiance with either, im going off other peoples coment wich I dont like to do.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Find a nice Weaver B4 with mounts. 4x, mine is from the early 60s, mounted on my Remington 511 from the late 50s.
    Only trouble is, they can be hard to find, and as you said, buying something that old that you expect to use, you like to be able to handle it and look it over up close.

I remember years ago when my Dad gave me the rifle that I had thought about replacing the old thing then. Glad I didnt. Like everything else about that gun, it just plain works. Works VERY well....

Top Bottom