• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Looking at getting a .22 semi auto for plinking. Looking for something that can hold 20+ rounds, will be decently accurate, will fit my wife(short), and will shoot any .22 ammo with little problems.
    Currently thinking about these:

S&W 15-22
    GSG 522
    Ruger 10/22
    Sig 522
    ???

Which would you get and why?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Marlin 795 deserves consideration. It's the least expensive of everything you list; as accurate as any, and more accurate than most. There is a 25 rnd magazine available for it, although I've never seen one used by anyone. As a plinking rifle that costs about $100, it's hard to beat.

bigboomstick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I personally own several Marlin 22's and couldn't be happier with them. The Marlin Model 60 can be had for approx $100 - you can't beat it for the price. Although I believe the tube magazine only holds 17 rounds.

IF I had to choose between the models mentioned, I would go for the 10/22. It is a great firearm, but I just think it is overpriced compared to other options.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    I'm a big fan of Ruger's 10/22 rifle.
    They can be had for a little over $200 if you watch the add flyers for some of the department-sporting good stores that sell firearms.
    Most gun shops will be pretty competitive with those prices too.
    They can be found used for a little cheaper, but tend to hold their value.

There is nothing wrong with a stock 10/22, but if you desire to cutomize one....the sky is the limit to what you can do with one & they are an easy rifle to work on.

Another one I'll mention...Remingtons 552 Speedmaster.
    It's tube fed & won't take a high capacity magazine, but it can feed 22short, 22long & 22long rifle & the tube magazine will hold a lot of 22shorts.

Remy's 597 is a solid rimfire, I've had two & they both had feed issues....so I don't have them anymore.

Keep in mind high capacity mags are okay, but the more rounds the mag holds, the more time you'll spend loading.
    Ofcoarse I don't have one of them fancy magazine loaders either.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I like the 10/22 but my son and son-in-law have the S&W 15-22(MOE versions). Both are fun to shoot and are accurate and reliable with any .22lr ammo we have used including the bulk ammo. When plinking, I will use whatever is the cheapest.

I am partial to the 10/22 and have had one for just shy of 40 years. Within the past 3 years added the 10/22 target which is one of my favorites. I personally prefer the flush fitting 10 round magazines so I have not tried any of the high capacity mags so cannot comment on their performance.

Be advised that the 10/22 does not have a bolt hold open after firing the last round while the S&W 15-22 does.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    10/22

Check out the Ruger 10/22 compact. Great gun for kids or the wife's due to the short stock. Or do the full size with an ATI stock that is collaspable

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Well I got off work early and went down to Honey Creek Tackle. They had a nice selection for me to hold and look at. I decided on a 10/22 takedown, paid 309 plus tax but also got a 25 round mag with it as well. Already put 50 rounds in it and I like it so far. I was able to hit all the cans I set up no problem and the thing is super light. Very happy so far. Thanks for all the input.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I wanted the smith 22 but found the sig was much cheaper. I do not regret that one bit. I have fired almost and entire brick of federals out of it and not one ftf. Love that rifle. I paid under 400 for it

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Plymouth Walmart has one of the Sig's for sale. Wasn't that excited because I want to find a center fire to add to the collection. Interesting looking though.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Well I got off work early and went down to Honey Creek Tackle. They had a nice selection for me to hold and look at. I decided on a 10/22 takedown, paid 309 plus tax but also got a 25 round mag with it as well. Already put 50 rounds in it and I like it so far. I was able to hit all the cans I set up no problem and the thing is super light. Very happy so far. Thanks for all the input.

I was just going to suggest that one--it is one heck of a rifle and you bought it right. Excellent choice! :twocents:

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 60................bench rested them both and the Marlin 60 always out shoots the Ruger. Still love the Ruger and won't get rid of it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom