• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lfacfp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Berne
    Is there a particular brand or type of .22 subsonic ammo that will cycle well or is it just a problem with the slower load? It seems everything I have tried in a semiauto does not want to cycle and has to be manually ejected.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Most sub-sonic rounds are too weak to reliably cycle a semi-auto firearm.
    If they do cycle you're lucky.
    They shoot o.k. for the most part, you just have to manually cycle the firearm.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    One note of caution, be especially mindful if you're using a long-gun.
    Make sure the round has actually exited the barrel before a subsequent shot is taken.
    Watch your target closely when using sub-sonics in a rifle. If you don't see a mark on the target, STOP and check the bore for obstructions.

I have a little Winchester 1885 Low-Wall that was re-barreled for .22lr. I run .22lr sub-sonics through it quite often, and they are quite accurate and pretty quiet.
    Listen to each shot. If one sounds "off" check the bore...

Good luck.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My Buckmark becomes a single shot with subsonic ammo. The CCI "quiet" will not even kick out the brass. I think that us just the way it goes. Save your subsonic ammo for revolvers, Bolt, or lever guns.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    CCI Quiet is way less than sub-sonic. For semi autos try CCI standard velocity or Aguila sub sonic. A good sub sonic round should run 1,050 to 1,075 which should cycle some sa guns. My 10/22, S&W 2214 and M&P22 Compact all cycle reliably with cci.

What ammo and gun combo were you using?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The solution: Change the gun, not the ammo.
    Select a decent quality bolt action or lever action.
    Also, subsonic isn't the best choice when you can use standard velocity instead and get nearly identical results while having no worries about bullets not clearing your barrel, as Mgderf so wisely cautions.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Rem subsonic and CCI standard velocity function reliably in my M&P 22 Compact, MKIII Ruger and 10/22s.. Quiet will not function any semi auto that I know of, it's what used to be called a CB cap. Sounds like you have a firearm problem, not an ammo problem.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Rem subsonic and CCI standard velocity function reliably in my M&P 22 Compact, MKIII Ruger and 10/22s.. Quiet will not function any semi auto that I know of, it's what used to be called a CB cap. Sounds like you have a firearm problem, not an ammo problem.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&quot]

The Quiet uses a 40 grain bullet.
    The CB uses a 29 grain bullet.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic
    [FONT=&amp]

Same here on all three. I try and get standard anytime I can, and have been replacing some of my HV with it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My .22's cycle several brands of sub-sonic reliably. Even the stupid Sig Mosquito I had. Memory is cloudy this morning and I am not home (Brand name escapes me) but it is in a peach-ish colored box. Runs great.

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I've had good results with CCI Sub-sonic in a 10/22 rifle and Walther P22 pistol.

Check that your firearm is lubed and reasonably clean. All .22 ammo has a low amount of energy available to cycle the action. Sub-sonic is even lower. Anything that requires more energy to cycle the action (dirt, no lube, cold weather/viscous lube, overly strong recoil springs, etc.) is likely to cause a problem.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I shoot a lot of CCI SV, 1080fps, and it cycles perfectly. A lot of standard velocity ammo functions in my pistols and rifles.

CCI Quiet is only going 710FPS and it wasn't meant to cycle a semi auto. Every once in a while it will cycle my Buckmark, but I've shot the p*ss out of it and everything is worn

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have a bunch of the CCI "Quiet" 22. I sometimes use it in a Walther P22 to practice clearing jams, because it will not reliably cycle the gun. :)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I was using in 10/22. Do the rounds often not eject from the barrel? Sounds dangerous in long guns.

I have used the Quiet 22 in 3 different rifles and they all exit the barrel. As long as they do that, they aren't dangerous. If they don't exit and you fire another round...that won't be good for you or your gun.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    One note of caution, be especially mindful if you're using a long-gun.
    Make sure the round has actually exited the barrel before a subsequent shot is taken.
    Watch your target closely when using sub-sonics in a rifle. If you don't see a mark on the target, STOP and check the bore for obstructions.

I have a little Winchester 1885 Low-Wall that was re-barreled for .22lr. I run .22lr sub-sonics through it quite often, and they are quite accurate and pretty quiet.
    Listen to each shot. If one sounds "off" check the bore...

Good luck.

My son and I had a problem with this when he was a little boy shooting his Chipmonk. I had left a few bricks of Aguila Super Colibri Armmunition sitting on a shelf in my shop ( no regular heat or cool ) and some Bullets were getting stuck in the barrel. They were easy to push out with an cleaning rod but it was a pain in the butt.
    With a closer look at the ammo the lead bullets had started to corrode ( bullets were flakey and alittle chalky ) and I just rubbed a fine Scotch Brite pad around each bullet and the problem went away.
    It taught me not to leave ammo out in the open air for extended times.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Is there a particular brand or type of .22 subsonic ammo that will cycle well or is it just a problem with the slower load? It seems everything I have tried in a semiauto does not want to cycle and has to be manually ejected.
    If you are not using CCI Quiet ammo, I would clean and lube your gun. I've fired a lot of sub-sonic ammo through a number of different semi-autos and never had an issue. They do get dirty though. Then I will get some fail to loads and FTEs with my MP22. The MP15-22 will not cycle sometimes when it gets dirty.

CCI Quiet will not cycle the vast majority of semi-autos.

Top Bottom