• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm looking for a less expensive handgun training option, as much as I like to practice with my G19 is just not possible due to the high cost of ammunition (I don't reload). The options are an Advantage arms. 22 LR upper for my G19 or a S&W M&P 22 compact both are about the same cost what would make more sense?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The upper route has the advantage of keeping your lower the same (angles, trigger, controls, etc.), thus more closely matching your training to the firearm you'll be using.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm not sold on .22lr training as a replacement for 9mm training.

Most .22 uppers have different trigger feel than the proper upper would, to my knowledge (not experience).

I'd think you'd want to either train (as in, with real 9mm ammo and firearm) or recreate (a separate .22 pistol).

That's the path I took.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Get a used Dillon press and start handloading.

I ditched all my rimfire stuff and can load 9mm cheaper than what 22LR sells for theses days if you can even find any. I still buy when I see for future panic profits or trade fodder.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The conversion will cost as much as a new gun and not be nearly as reliable. Trigger time in some respects is trigger time. I would just pickup a .22 pistol for plinking at the range.

Some have mentioned reloading. I shoot very little .22 anymore because I can reload 9mm for just a couple cents more per round. The cost of an upper or another gun would go a long ways towards buying a reloading press.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have an advantage arms conversion for my G17. Training with a .22 is not the same as training with a 9mm. As has been said before, it is a completely different feel. The .22 conversion is fun to shoot and is a good trainer for my Grandchildren to get used to the feel of a Glock. Train with what you carry!!:twocents:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The worst part of my AA G19 kit is that it is kinda picky with ammo; shoots Rem Golden Bullets just as well as AA says it does (But that ammo is dirty as heck), but otherwise I'm limited to CCI Mini-Mags, AR Tactical, or SV. It chokes on *everything* else.

It runs like a sewing machine with the high velocity CCI stuff though.

I love the conversion, but the reality is you can buy a M&P22 Compact for the same or less money. I've thought about selling my conversion a number of times to go that route...but haven't put it into motion yet.

Egldriver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I have conversion kits for a 1911 and Sig 229. They are fun but very unreliable, especially the Sig. It is good that you get the feel of your 9mm trigger and grip. For the 1911 I just ended up getting a GSG 1911 .22. Totally reliable and accurate. Good price too at Midwest guns, cheaper than a Kimber 1911 upper.No its not the same as shooting a 9mm but, good practice on many of the core tasks such as drawing to an aim, trigger control etc. Plus I shoot it in my backyard (I have acreage). That's been my experience for what its worth.

Top Bottom