• ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Hey INGO,

Just got my 550 converted for 223 last night and in the bullet seating station the case wobbles around so badly that it will lean out enough to jam into the side of the seating die, stopping the stroke of the press. The other stations dont seem to be as loose, but they dont seem tight either....not like when loading 9mm or 45.

I have the #3 locating pins in use that came with the caliber conversion kit. I tightened down the shell holder until it wouldnt index by hand and then backed off one quarter tun....its snug and rotates freely.

Im using RCBS dies. FL size/deprime, dillon powder die, and RCBS seating die...all brand new and adjusted properly.
    Cases are mixed but mostly lake city. Primer pockets are swaged and primers are sitting flush or below flush...theyre not protruding causing the wobble...I checked.

Tried a google search but came up short....thousands of rounds through this press and no problems until now...?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I just finished loading a few 1000 .223 on my 550, I didnt notice any wobble on mine.
    Let me think about this for a bit, I'll check back later.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have no experience with any mult-stage press (Rock Chucker only), but that kind of movement definitely sounds out of order.
    There should be just enough play for the case to automatically center in the die, but certainly not that much.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I had that problem with 9mm, and noticed that my shell plate had too much "wiggle" room. Tightened it down and problem was solved.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I had that problem with 9mm, and noticed that my shell plate had too much "wiggle" room. Tightened it down and problem was solved.

Bingo! getting shell plate adjusted enough to take out wobble, but also let it rotate is critical to proper operation. Much more critical on longer cases.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...and is GREATLY in support of the usage of bushing seater dies like the Forster and the Redding for rifle ammunition, where run out is critical to good performance.

As Zediker said, (and my data agrees with) more-or-less: If it can be made PERFECT, then that is best, but if it can't be made perfect, then make it FLOAT.

-Nate

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

I can't think of anything else that would cause wobbly cases, tighten the shellplate up. I run my machines with the plate as snug as I can and it still spins reasonably easy. 1/4 turn loosey is alot.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Are you priming your cases on the Dillon? If the shellplate adjustment is not the problem, check for high primers.

+1

Also, I set my shell plate just loose enough to be able to feel the detent ball be pushed up into the locator hole

17 squirrel, I liked your billy jack avatar a lot better that the moving black briefs one.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I can't think of anything else that would cause wobbly cases, tighten the shellplate up. I run my machines with the plate as snug as I can and it still spins reasonably easy. 1/2 a turn loosey is alot.

yea, I spin the bolt down until it just touches the snug point, then back off like a degree or two. just snug the set screw and check. then if it's binding a touch loosen the set screw, back off another smidge, and re-check. once it turns w/o binding I tighten the set screw. I'm sure I don't back off more than a couple degrees. certainly not 90 or 180. grease up the ball bearing and the top of the bolt.

with a snug shellplate, high primers usually cause drag when indexing

-rvb

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Also check the shell ejector. Sometimes it will get raised some while unscrewing/removing a shell plate. When you tighten down the new plate, the ejector interferes with the proper tightening, giving you a false setting.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    yea, I spin the bolt down until it just touches the snug point, then back off like a degree or two. just snug the set screw and check. then if it's binding a touch loosen the set screw, back off another smidge, and re-check. once it turns w/o binding I tighten the set screw. I'm sure I don't back off more than a couple degrees. certainly not 90 or 180. grease up the ball bearing and the top of the bolt.

with a snug shellplate, high primers usually cause drag when indexing

-rvb

:+1:

It could also be your RCBS dies.
    I use Dillon Dies on my XL650 and they work great because they are designed to be used on a progressive press.
    Dillon dies have a larger bell opening on the bottom so cases slip in easier - especially if it's got a little wobble indexing from station to station.
    RCBS dies are usually not designed like that and could cause the issues you are experiencing.

- Tighten the shell plate like the others have said.
    - slow down a little and let the cases stop wobbling. Don't flip it too much
    - if you can, modify your grip on the indexing lever so your finger or thumb is up against the case as you advance it. that will stop the wobble.
    - you might look into using a composite ball and lighter spring under the shell plate.
    That will soften the click-in index each time and keeps powder from flipping out of pistol cases.

Top Bottom