• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I am new to reloading and have ran into a problem with the primer holes in some of the used brass. It seems that some of them have a small primer and others have small primers with a sleeve around them. When I try to put the new primers in the ones that have the sleeves it won't seat and pops out of the press. What am I doing wrong?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    It's a primer crimp. Used on mil-spec ammo. Keeps the primers in place when fired in chambers with generous headspace.

Use a chamfering tool to remove the crimp, it doesn't take much, them prime.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Haivng just got one, the Dillon super swage 600 is the cream of the crop for de-crimping rifle brass. If you are doing large volume or have a group of reloaders, invest in one sooner rather than later. The RCBS tool isn't too bad if you aren't doing a huge number. Lots of good luck using various types of cutting tool to remove the crimp as well.

finn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Outstanding! This is exactly what it is, thanks for all of the information.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Finn, if you are in the area of boone county, you can stop by and use my Dillon super 600 to remove your crimp and decide if that's the route you want to take

finn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks for the offer. That looks like a great tool that I may need to pick up soon. I have the Lyman case prep express that should get me through until I find the Dillon 600.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Thanks for the offer. That looks like a great tool that I may need to pick up soon. I have the Lyman case prep express that should get me through until I find the Dillon 600.

Take your time and find out which system you like best. There have been multi page argumnets err I mean discussions as to which way is the best for removing primer crimps. It is most definitely a chevy vs ford kinda thing.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Take your time and find out which system you like best. There have been multi page argumnets err I mean discussions as to which way is the best for removing primer crimps. It is most definitely a chevy vs ford kinda thing.

Indeed! :)

Removing primer crimps can be done with a $100 bench-mounted tool or, if you want to get them done faster, with a $5 cordless drill-mounted tool. It's up to you.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Indeed! :)

Removing primer crimps can be done with a $100 bench-mounted tool or, if you want to get them done faster, with a $5 cordless drill-mounted tool. It's up to you.

I think I may have went the $5 way, but the cutter I have been using (by hand no less) was given to me by a buddy that had several from his days as a machinist. There are many different ways to get around it, its purely personal how you choose to do so.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you like consistency and reliability, spend the money on a reamer or swaging tool. If guess and check is your prefered method, a $5 bit is right up your alley.

Then, if you accidentally take too much of the primer pocket away from a piece of small rifle brass, you can just put a large rifle primer in the now over-sized hole.

Top Bottom