• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Very new to .223 reloading and am wondering what others prefer for primers for the ar platform. I have some cci small rifle primers that came with my press that I would like to use if possible. my concern is that they are not hard enough to be safely used with a floating firing pin. Should I trade for magnum primers or military rifle primers.

Thanks for the help in advance

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have used 10's of thousands of Winchester and Remington 7 1/2 primers over the years with no problem. Your CCI primers will be fine also.

The floating firing pin issue is far over rated. Choosing a primer based on this concern is a waste of energy. The AR firing pin does not have enough mass to cause more than a very small dimple.

When reloading for the AR, be very concerned that you have bumped the shoulder back and that there are no protruding primers. Primers seated below the case head are far more important than the brand of primer you are using.

corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    thanks for the info i'll start with the cci's. One more question if I am not loading max loads is there any reason I can't use magnum primers if they are available. I am going to be using varget and H 335 as my powders

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    thanks for the info i'll start with the cci's. One more question if I am not loading max loads is there any reason I can't use magnum primers if they are available. I am going to be using varget and H 335 as my powders

H335 is about as close to the original Milspec powder you'll find and you can just about fill the case to the bottom of the bullet and be ok on pressure in a 5.56 chamber. Varget is also a great powder and some of my best loads use a compressed charge with some of the 69gr bullets (i.e. case is full). DO NOT USE THAT METHOD FOR METERING YOUR CHARGE! ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS CHECK YOUR CHARGE WEIGHT!

I don't want to give you a false sense of security on your loads, but also want you to have confidence that you don't have to load light in order to get safe rounds. There are some rounds that are very sensitive and you can overfill the cases and cause a kaboom. You aren't on the knife edge with this load based on those two powders.

Again, measure your charges and double check them, and triple check them and always always always test them in your gun and look for pressures signs. Can't say that enough.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    my concern is that they are not hard enough to be safely used with a floating firing pin.

It is a good practice with every firearm, floating or captured firing pin, to never drop the bolt on a live round unless the muzzle is pointed somewhere that will not be an issue if a round discharged. Even if the odds of a negligent discharge is 10,000 to 1, I like to stack as much in my favor as possible.

I agree, the CCI primers are no problem.

Good Luck

corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    thanks to all that have contributed, my plan is to weigh the varget for accuracy loads and run the H335 thru a powder measure for plinking. looking forward to getting started

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am probably just spitting in the wind, but Re-15, N140, and Varget are identical powders. H335 and Win 748, and BLC-2 are identical. For 308, they all will be accurate, but 4064 is the best of them all behind a 175.

Just saying in case you cannot find that magical powder of the internet, varget.

corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I have varget already has been in stock at fields in Rushville somewhat regularly along with most popular hodgdon powders. don't know how they get it but they do:dunno:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have varget already has been in stock at fields in Rushville somewhat regularly along with most popular hodgdon powders. don't know how they get it but they do:dunno:

Lucky you! I know of people in Indy that have shelled out retail plus to the flippers to get a pound.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Just curious... How many use small pistol primers, regular or mag? What brand?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    You should not use SPP in place of SRP.
    SPP have a thinner cup than SRP. A rifle in general has more force behind the firing pin there for the thinner cup will pierce, causing hot gas to etch the bolt face and possibly blow back into the shooters face.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I have used 10's of thousands of Winchester and Remington 7 1/2 primers over the years with no problem. Your CCI primers will be fine also.

The floating firing pin issue is far over rated. Choosing a primer based on this concern is a waste of energy. The AR firing pin does not have enough mass to cause more than a very small dimple.

When reloading for the AR, be very concerned that you have bumped the shoulder back and that there are no protruding primers. Primers seated below the case head are far more important than the brand of primer you are using.

That's very wise advice. Please obtain a case gauge and do a check of each completed round for proper head space in the gauge and primer seating. You really don't want that much pressure going out the wrong way.

Top Bottom