• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got my Benchrest AR out today with my hand loads I made up for it after some initial sight in with some cheap stuff, the handloads produced outstanding groups ( the rifle is a far better shooter than I am). I used winchester brass, 25gr Varget powder, 69gr Sierra Matchking, CCi Primer. All shooting was done at 100yrds, bench rest, with bags.

Middle & top left target the rifle was shooting a little low, so got it brought up a little. Top right got it sighted in just about perfect with the crosshairs so I left it at that.

Bottom two targets I was playing around with my Mossberg Plinkster ( not bad grouping at 100 yrds with a cheap 4x Nc star scope:D

target2-1.jpg

Here was the best group of the day, this is acually a 5 shot group in a 3/4" dia spread. :rockwoot:, would have shot more but I ran out of ammo:(. But now I know why people use handloads for accuracy. Cant wait to get some more reloading supplies to make up some more, Im very happy with this load it performed very well. No signs of stress on the brass or anything, so I think this may be the go to load for this rifle. It has the best results thus far.

target1.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Bullets and barrels are everything. A good barrel needs good bullets to perform. I never had MatchKings let me down, I I used them in ,223, .264, .284 and .30 caliber. Nice target work.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The gun

The 3/4" group is easily 1 MOPD*. Looks like you've found a diet your AR enjoys. How about some more info on the gun. Barrel length, twist, profile? Scope? Got pix?

I've also had good results with SMKs but I'm talking about a 1:12 twist so 69s aren't on the menu. I shoot a lot of lighter VMax and BKs for their terminal performance on small critters and price. I just started playing with the 53 gr VMax Hornady uses in the new Superformance ammo. Looks promising.

*MOPD - Minute Of Prairie Dog. :D

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im very happy with the performance of the load. It took some trial an error, but it was worth it:yesway:.

Here ya go DRob:D,

Specs:

ER Shaw Barrel 1:8 twist (.223/5.56)
    DPMS Upper Reciver
    J&T Charging Handle
    J&T Bolt Carrier
    Surplus Arms Lower
    Spikes LPK
    DPMS Panther Grip
    Magpul PRS Stock
    Bushnell 4x14x40
    Millett Angle-Loc AR15 Rings
    National Match Free Float Handgaurd

PrecisionAR.jpg

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    NIce rifle and good shooting! If you are only shooting 100 yards, try some 52 grain SMKs. I have had great luck at short range with them out of my Krieger barrel. It is a 1-8 also. Good luck!

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I think it takes a great rifle and a great marksman to produce groups like those. Great work on the hand-loading as well. I think there is reloading and there is hand-loading. Hand-loading is all about quality and consistency with a focus on the individual cartridge where reloading is more about acceptable production with a focus on the batch. Both have their benefits.

Top Bottom