• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    saw an interesting video on "Green" ammo from CCI. The Gist: it's basically not that much better, if any.

I've heard that elsewhere, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I would say it depends on the gun. 22 Plinkster loves the stuff and I've seen videos where he's shot some darn nice groups with it. Neither of my 22 bolt actions liked it overly much, though it was more consistent than CCISV.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I shot some SK Plus in my RAR today. would have been 1/4” at 50 yards, but for one miss by me. Managed to put three in a ragged hole and the fourth just to the right. Great conditions but cold today at the range. It was my first time using these pricey but accurate rounds. This is my new squirrel round for sure.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Standard velocity 22lr ammo most always produces the best accuracy. I keep several boxes of different manufacture ammo on hand just for testing on new rifles. When I find one that works well, I will stock up with that brand. Be advised that ammo produced with different lot number will yield different accuracy from any given rifle. Thus, I buy a brick or two (500 rnd = 1 brick) for consistancy. Many years ago, I had purchased several bricks of Federal 22lr HP HV ammo from a friend at a decent price, all the same lot #. It proved to shoot remarkably well in 3 of my 22's. After they were gone, I purchased another lot number of the same ammo and they shot about average.
    Each barrel and rifle setup will shoot differently. It is all about barrel quality and unique barrel harmonics. Thus a stock screw tensioned at 25 in/lbs vs 40 in/lbs will shoot diferently accuracy and point of impact wise and etc. I have a CZ 455 as well and it likes Federal supermatch and Ely Tennex. It shoots CCI SV well also. Good shooting!

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I am looking at getting a 10-22. Is that a stock barrel or aftermarket? I am debating getting the custom shop model or just get the cheapest one I can find and putting on a barrel stock trigger.
    It was nice yesterday, so I took my 10/22 and Buckmark to the range to prep for rimfire steel shoots coming up. Nothing super precision here, but just some what a stock 10/22 can do.

All at 25 yds. Small targets are ammo can rest. Stock 10/22 with VQ trigger sear and receiver screw set to sweet spot torque (38 in-lbs). No magnification cheap red dot (TRS-25). Large center target was standing, low ready, quick shot for speed, just stay on the black as fast as possible.

C6C48E73-4C1B-47ED-AEEE-2758BEED989F.jpeg

The quarter is the cheapest of cheap Armscorp. Nickel is cheap (and ancient) Winchester 222. Both the penny and dime are brick CCI Blazer that I will shoot for steel matches... that "flier" was the last shot of the 5, and I was having an issue with see the center red, just lined up the dot in the middle of the black.

That's with a red dot... when I had a scope on it, dime sized with the right brick ammo all day long... used to play shoot out the red without loosing one into the black with my kids.

mechmc17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Zionsville
    I honestly haven’t noticed much difference with accuracy with any .22 LR ammo I’ve used. A couple years ago I tested 8 brands head to head. All had excellent accuracy, but most had occasional issues with the action on the 10/22 used to test them. The two that had zero issues (failure to feed, failure to eject, etc) were CCI SV and Remington Thunderbolt.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I have a couple 452's and they shoot the federal 550 bulk pack 36gr hollow point that walmart sells very good. CCI ammo has shot very well too. Standard, minimag

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

SgtFury

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Memphis
    Go take out a 2nd mortgage..
    Then head to your gun store to see if you can afford whatever you find :).
    Like any gun...yours will let some better than others. Pick what looks decent to try until you fi d your brand. A good
    22 will normally eat whatever you give it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I really like SK rifle match but its crazy expensive and really hard to find now. With that said still to date I've never shot a smaller group at 50yrds than I have with my B22 Precision using CCI SV ammo. For the dollar spent I don't think you can do much better than that ammo. Bad part now is finding any of it so glad I spent the last 4 years stocking up.. Hope your able to find some OP.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Me too. I’ve been stocking up on CCI SV for years. It’s the only thing I buy. Even had a CDS dial made for my Leupold lightweight rimfire scope calibrated for it. It’s on my Magnum Research MLR22ATUT, which is one fine rifle. All it needed was a BX-Trigger and I just love that setup.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Me too. I’ve been stocking up on CCI SV for years. It’s the only thing I buy. Even had a CDS dial made for my Leupold lightweight rimfire scope calibrated for it. It’s on my Magnum Research MLR22ATUT, which is one fine rifle. All it needed was a BX-Trigger and I just love that setup.
    What kind of groups do you get with CCI SV? My 10/22 only gets 1.5" 10 shot groups at 50 yards with it. My rifle loves Eley force it has shot the best groups at 50 yards in my rifle. Iirc 0.6xx" 10 shot groups.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    What kind of groups do you get with CCI SV? My 10/22 only gets 1.5" 10 shot groups at 50 yards with it. My rifle loves Eley force it has shot the best groups at 50 yards in my rifle. Iirc 0.6xx" 10 shot groups.
    Depends on whether me or cbhausen does the shooting LOL

He’s a better shot than I am, but IIRC usually about 1.5-2 MOA. I plan to revisit and see what we can wring out of it once the weather gets warmer. I need to do a thorough check on the calibration of the CDS dial, as well. This will involve chrono’ing the rifle at conditions as close to STP at 750 ft. elevation as possible. I’ve barely scratched the surface, but I find the science of ballistics so fascinating and despite its limitations, .22 LR is a cheap enough medium to delve into it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Depends on whether me or cbhausen does the shooting LOL

He’s a better shot than I am, but IIRC usually about 1.5-2 MOA. I plan to revisit and see what we can wring out of it once the weather gets warmer. I need to do a thorough check on the calibration of the CDS dial, as well. This will involve chrono’ing the rifle at conditions as close to STP at 750 ft. elevation as possible. I’ve barely scratched the surface, but I find the science of ballistics so fascinating and despite its limitations, .22 LR is a cheap enough medium to delve into it.
    Okay I just wanted to be sure i was getting a normal avg from the CCI SV rd. I have seen some CZ rifles shot that same rd at 0.280" 10 shot groups. I don't remember if it was stock or if he had poured some extra money into it. I should have ask but was to impressed with his groups.

Top Bottom