• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I saw lots of .22 at the Valpo gun show a few weeks ago. Everything from guys with bricks split up into ziploc baggies(these guys annoy me...but I understand what they're doing)....to guys with 6 or 8 'bucket o bullets'. If you needed it, it was there. As someone said, price was outrageous. The buckets were going for 135 bucks. Thats 2X markup over what Rural King or Midway would sell them for. Even if you add shipping, midway when they have them it would be 85 or 90 bucks for a bucket. I saw a guy walking out with one. If I was out, I'd pay for it.

Went out to eat with my boss yesterday. He was talking about running headlong into the .22 shortage last week. He grabbed his trusty .22 to take out shooting with his boy scout group and thought he'd just run to Rural King and buy some so they could have fun. Nope...he went home and dug out an old brick he had from years ago. THAT is the problem...casual shooters are missing out. Thankfully he had it covered.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I happened to be in the Angola Wal-mart this morning for something else and noticed two employees (on the clock) buying Federal 550 bulk boxes of .22lr. I stepped over to the case, still unlocked and there were two boxes left and grabbed them. Another employee (also on the clock) walked up right after I grabbed those two and said "damn it!". I jumped in line at the sporting goods counter as the one employee was having the other punch in his employee discount and they were discussing how they had personally been buying all the hard to get ammo as it came in. I just bit my tongue and considered myself lucky to finally come across a couple boxes. $23.97 per box, $10 more than before all of this madness, but at least I can start shooting my .22's again once this weather gets better.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    i know the walmart here in lawerence on pendelton pike has it coming in about once a week(ish). they say usually by the end of the day its gone. but suprisingly they said people stopped lining up in the morning for ammo. i check there everytime i go shopping. usually has a ass load of .223 but at about 0.60$ a round. but has been having more 9mm and .45 in stock in WWB and federal for descent prices. last week i missed the last bulk box of 525 by 1 customer who was paying for it as i walked up. he turned to me said ill sell it to you for 100$ jokingly... i think :O lol

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I happened to be in the Angola Wal-mart this morning for something else and noticed two employees (on the clock) buying Federal 550 bulk boxes of .22lr. I stepped over to the case, still unlocked and there were two boxes left and grabbed them. Another employee (also on the clock) walked up right after I grabbed those two and said "damn it!". I jumped in line at the sporting goods counter as the one employee was having the other punch in his employee discount and they were discussing how they had personally been buying all the hard to get ammo as it came in. I just bit my tongue and considered myself lucky to finally come across a couple boxes. $23.97 per box, $10 more than before all of this madness, but at least I can start shooting my .22's again once this weather gets better.
    I do believe such action by Wal-Mart employees is grounds for termination, but I may be wrong.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I do believe such action by Wal-Mart employees is grounds for termination, but I may be wrong.

I worked in Wal Mart HR twenty or so years ago, and that was a BIG no-no. Anything rare or limited was strictly off-limits to employees. One year I could have gotten rich by buying up Tickle-Me-Elmos, but no employees got one. Instead, we got to watch people fight over them - good sport.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've never bought ammo at Wal-mart, and I've also been able to buy .22LR during the shortage. Sometimes it pays to have an ongoing relationship with a LGS or two. I've picked up two bricks at USDS over the past year, and could have bought more but that's all I needed. They had about 6 bricks at a fuzz over $30 today and said they had more on the way next week.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Forgive my ignorance but whats a LGS and a USDS?

It's not your ignorance the grammar police are doing no good,

I was taught (teached for the grammer piloce) in grade school that every time you use a acronym the first time you use it you ("put in quotes") the words included

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Last week I was in a LGS here in SE Indiana. Had several bricks of Aguila in stock. $69.95!!!! I didnt say a word as I knew it wouldnt do any good nor did I spend any money.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I've never bought ammo at Wal-mart, and I've also been able to buy .22LR during the shortage. Sometimes it pays to have an ongoing relationship with a LGS or two. I've picked up two bricks at USDS over the past year, and could have bought more but that's all I needed. They had about 6 bricks at a fuzz over $30 today and said they had more on the way next week.

I remember the "good old days" when six bricks cost $30 total, or $5 per brick. Using the price of a WASR-10 as a gauge, they were $200 back then, and are about $500 to $600 now, so that $5 should be $15 with the same inflation rate. Oh well, so much for the good old days. :D

It does seem the current going rate for .22LR is $25 to $30 a brick of 500. I figure like others have said, many more people have gotten into the sport, and when other ammo started either going up of just getting hard to find, everyone said they would just start shooting .22LR because it was so much cheaper. Well the cheaper got more expensive, and more people means less going around, so it has become that proverbial needle in a haystack to find some.

I wonder what the MSRP (yes I know what suggested means :D ) per the factory for the CCI Blazer?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I remember buying 3 bricks at Walmart a few years ago because it was cheaper that way, cost me like $40-45? Glad I still have a brick, my daughter loves shooting my .22!

MT60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    Stroh

Guess that explains why I haven't found .22 at the Angola Walmart in the last year or so. One more in along list of reasons to avoid the place.

I'll admit to being caught a bit with my BVDs down around my Red Ball Jets on this one. Down to about 1 1/2 bricks. I won't pay the prices the 'flippers' are asking, there will be a rebuilding effort as it becomes available.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom