• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What .22LR gun would you pick for backpacking?

• Ruger 10/22 takedown w/ backpacker stock 4.2 lbs

• Henry AR7 2.5 lbs

• Marlin 70P (Papoose) 3.25 lbs

• Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite 1.562 lbs

• Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 pistol 3.35 lbs

• Ruger Charger takedown .22 pistol 3.2 lbs

• Henry Mare's leg .22 4.45 lbs

• Ruger Wrangler .22 1.875 lbs

• Taurus TX22 .22 pistol 1.081 lbs

• Kel-Tec P17 0.8 lbs

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    This question is for backpacking where weight counts.
    The gun would be used in a emergency scenario where small game needs to be taken for survival until help arrives or you make it out of the woods.
    If your gun of choice isn't in the poll, list it below.
    This would be in addition to a primary centerfire pistol.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Taurus TX22 for me. I carry it a lot on property. It's dispatched several varmints already.
    If taurus made a companion rifle that used the same magazine as the TX22 I'd buy it if it was reliable.
    Weight empty 17 oz

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    It was a hard choice between the 10/22 and wrangler. I picked the 10/22 because the wrangler, in the limited time I've used it, doesn't have the accuracy needed IMO to take small game.
    I'm much more familiar and confident with the 10/22.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've owned and used many of what you've got list in your survey and where I'm currently at is with a TPS M6 Scout 22lr/.410 which isn't on your list. It's just a newly produced knock off of the old springfield M6 scouts. I like having a 22lr for the variety of ammo like a 22short if it's close and I wanted to be quiet or even a 22lr tracer if I wanted to signal or have a cheap giggle. The 410 gives me options with a follow up shot in case the first didn't go as planned. With a slug that gun could take anything in the lower 48 up close. Either way, there's some versatility in that package that I really like. The weight of it is right where the 10-22 backpacker is.

I voted for the 10-22 backpacker because if you're planning to shoot for food something with a stock will absolutely help make that happen. I know it's the internet and every can fast draw from the hip and shoot a squirrel threw the eye while it's leaping from branch to branch, but if I'm legitimately looking for food, I want to make sure that shot counts.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    None of those. Backpacking is all about weight. I typicaly carry something bigger than a .22 when I go (airweight .38 or a .44 Mag, depending on how big the local critters are), but if I was looking for a .22, it would be an S&W 317 airweight. I have the stainless version (63-5), and it's a fantastic little gun, but the 317 is even lighter (12.5 oz). It holds 8 rounds, and it's a revolver, so it'll reliably feed any type of ammo you ask it to, from the little colibri loads to mini-mags.

I've been carrying my 63-5 when working on this vacant house that my in-laws bought. Because it holds 8, I load it with 4 rounds of rat shot and 4 regular 22LR rounds. If I find squirrels or other rodents in there, the rat shot takes care of them without having to worry about it blowing through walls. But it was also nice to have the solid lead pills when I found 2 raccoons in the ceiling (yeah, the place is horrible).

My understanding is that we're talking a contingency weapon here to take food in an emergency, not something we're heading into the woods planning to hunt with. If the goal of the trip from the outset is to go hunting, obviously a long gun would be a better choice. But as a gun to pack along just in case thing go south, I'd opt for small and light, as every bit of size and weight is something else you can't take. Personally, if I'm worried about food, I'd probably take fishing tackle over a .22.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    None of those. Backpacking is all about weight. I typicaly carry something bigger than a .22 when I go (airweight .38 or a .44 Mag, depending on how big the local critters are), but if I was looking for a .22, it would be an S&W 317 airweight. I have the stainless version (63-5), and it's a fantastic little gun, but the 317 is even lighter (12.5 oz). It holds 8 rounds, and it's a revolver, so it'll reliably feed any type of ammo you ask it to, from the little colibri loads to mini-mags.

I've been carrying my 63-5 when working on this vacant house that my in-laws bought. Because it holds 8, I load it with 4 rounds of rat shot and 4 regular 22LR rounds. If I find squirrels or other rodents in there, the rat shot takes care of them without having to worry about it blowing through walls. But it was also nice to have the solid lead pills when I found 2 raccoons in the ceiling (yeah, the place is horrible).

My understanding is that we're talking a contingency weapon here to take food in an emergency, not something we're heading into the woods planning to hunt with. If the goal of the trip from the outset is to go hunting, obviously a long gun would be a better choice. But as a gun to pack along just in case thing go south, I'd opt for small and light, as every bit of size and weight is something else you can't take. Personally, if I'm worried about food, I'd probably take fishing tackle over a .22.
    When you're saying "rat shot" are you talking about CCI shot shells for a 22lr? How far away from a target are able to still get hits as fast as that shot spreads out? I've never used that on game.

Totally agree with what you're saying on weight and every ounce counting. If the intent is to hunt it's one thing, if gathering game is plan "B", then every ounce is even more critical.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Hands down Ruger 10/22 Stainless Steel, Take-down / with backpackers stock. If you need to eat, this will provide the meal. Plus....it's a Ruger.....always goes bang.....and it's the AR of the 22 realm.....so....everything and anything is available to customize and accessorize.

Eric94

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2022
    Georgetown
    As much as I like the idea of having a rifle like the 10/22.
    At 4.2lbs, you would probably feel it at the end of the day.
    I think the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite with a red dot such as the Vortex Venom would be my pick.
    If it runs out of battery, a knife can be used to take it off so that iron sights can be used.

Attachments

• 20220325_144417.jpg
      20220325_144417.jpg
      243.9 KB · Views: 5
    • 20220325_144436.jpg
      20220325_144436.jpg
      430.5 KB · Views: 5

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'd buy two Wranglers, make double damn certain they hit the same place, and then I'd put 4,500 rounds through one of them in practice, 500 through the other, and hike with the low mileage one.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom