• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I posted in another tread I went to a shoot this weeked and after the .45s everyone (except me ) broke out there .22lr pistols for the next shoot. Most where Ruger MKII and IIIs so I went to a couple shops and man they are kinda high $ . Saw a couple S&Ws for about half does anyone have any sugjestions> Ill be using it for Pin top shooting and plinking at about 25 yards . Thanks

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Why not just get a conversion kit for your 45?

There are several makers that make kits that replace the barrel, slide, springs and magazine but keep the lower and trigger in place. It allows you to practice with your 45 but at much reduced recoil and cost. It maintains the same trigger pull, grip shape, grip angle, and for the most part gun weight while you practice.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    S&W 22A is a nice pistol Around $200
    Beretta Neos is another good choice around $200
    Sig Mosquito around $300

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    They're tough to find, but I want a Browning Buckmark. Every one I've seen has been ultra reliable, very accurate, and they have much better triggers than Rugers. Once I find one, I'll probably ditch my Ruger 22/45 (Mk II).

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a buckmark, I prefer it over the ruger.

Buckmarks are very nice, but I prefer the Ruger.

Just showing that it is very much a personal preferance thing.

S&W 22As are a good choice for the money as well.

As for the trigger, I feel they are really close out of the box. My Baikal IZH-35M has a trigger that both could only wish to have. ;)

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Okay, I've been looking at buying a Beretta U22 Neos, but in another thread an INGO member suggested the Ruger MK III Hunter over the Neos.

The MKIII is a bit more $$ than the Neos, and I don't mind paying a little more for a better product. Has anyone had any experience with these two plinker pistols?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Person next to me was shooting a P22 and it jammed on every other shot. Most time you get what you pay for.

got any idea what ammo he was using? my son's p22 is a little picky about ammo, but 100% with the right brand.

i've own the neos, rugers, sw, had a buckmark, p22 and they all do fine with the right ammo. of the bunch, i like the feel of the ruger. smoothed the trigger a bit added a pentax reddot and it's become my favorite. also like conversions. the kimber .17 mach 2 for 1911's is a real hoot.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Remington Thunderbolts. P22 is a great looking gun and great for plinking I would think. One reason I got a 22 Revolver was that it pretty much shoots any ammo far as plinking goes.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    We have a Sig Sauer Mosquito which will only reliability feed and fire CCI Stingers (1650 FPS wonder midgets)

and a S&W 22a, which used to be a bear, but after putting 2200 rounds or so through it now happily eats Federal bulk pack. Only failures I have now are primers.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Good deal.... I really like my MKIII Hunter. I traded for it over at Cheeks. I also have a couple of MKIIs and they have been very reliable and extremely accurate over the years.

You will like the Hunter. Just dont shoot the Winchester ammo, I use the Federal 550 rnd value packs from Wally World, the Feds work in every .22lr that I own. The Wins worked in most of the rifle well but alot of the pistols didnt care for them...... made them a single shot!!:xmad:

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Remington Thunderbolts.

The absolute worst .22 ammo made! Run away, fast! :): That is some bad ammo as far as leading the barrel goes, I think I need to take the few boxes I have out of my safe for fear it will mess them up.

My P22 was 100% except for Blazer standard velocity .22, would not run two in a row of those. Every other round I tried was perfect.

I currently need a .22, want a Ruger MKIII or a Buckmark, or possibly a Mosquito. I need a suppressor host so I need a threaded barrel and the Ruger is a bigger hassle than the others. I have a GemTec replacement threaded barrel for a Mosquito already too, so I have decide whether to sell it and get one of the others, or just get a Mosquito. Leaning towards selling it and getting a ruger or buckmark as I want a tack driver this time around.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The absolute worst .22 ammo made! Run away, fast! :): That is some bad ammo as far as leading the barrel goes, I think I need to take the few boxes I have out of my safe for fear it will mess them up.

+1

I let a customer at the range borrow my MkII because they were having issues with whatever .22 they brought (come to think of it, it was probably the ammo). It was the only ammo that has caused it to gum up and fail. I took it home and cleaned it. There was solid lead build up in the chamber/beginning of rifling that came out in one big chunk.

I am going on about 1000 rounds of bulk pack federal through it without cleaning it. While a little sticky, it just keeps chugging along. God I love that gun. :D

Top Bottom