• ...and so much more!
  • zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Don’t forget to put the failure rate of the Smith and both of them get outshot by the keltec all day every day at. Third to fourth of the price

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Don’t forget to put the failure rate of the Smith and both of them get outshot by the keltec all day every day at. Third to fourth of the price
    Both of the guns of which you refer are on my "keeper" list.

In fact, to your point, both Kel-Tec CP33s cost less than just 1 of the SW 41s.
    When I do a head-to-head with the best SW 41 & best CP33, we will see if you are technically correct.
    I will probably have to use different brands of ammo so that isn't the issue.
    It will be fun.
    I could just go look at old targets and extrapolate from them, but where would the fun be, haha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Today, 2 of 3 guns were my oldest & all 3 are my more expensive .22LR handguns.

3rd gun was a SW 41 2023 upgrade of my SW 41 1980s gun.
    They both shoot the same with my eyes & hands.
    I'll do this again with 1" circles to see if one can edge out the other more definitively.
    Ironically, I have $1225 in the 1980s gun and $950 in the 2023.
    Only had to buy a rail for the SW 41 2023.
    With the SW 41 1980s, I replaced the internals and a gunsmith rebuilt the rear sight when I bought it Fall of 2018.

Recently took it to Highsmith Guns in Greenfield for a full inspection & cleaning before selling.

Record of issues today using CCI SV 1070 FPS, 40 grain, SLN ammo:
    1. High Standard The Victor Military (mid 1970s) x60 rds.
    - 2 FTL
    - 2 FTFR (but a sight strike on rim, ammo related?)
    - 0 FTEJ

2. SW 41 (1980s) x85 rds
    - 1 FTL
    - 1 FTFR (but a light strike on rim, ammo related?)
    - 0 FTEJ

3. SW 41 (2023) x80 rds
    - 7 FTL
    - 0 FTFR
    - 13 FTEJ (mostly stovepipes: thinking I need a higher velocity of ammo?)
    Note: Since this "new" gun has only had a few hundreds rounds put through it, I'm thinking ammo?

Practice on 3/4" blue squares @21':
    - H S Victor Military (row 1)
    - SW 41 1980s (row 2)
    - SW 41 2023 (row 3)
    Range 5.17.2024 Practice on .75in squares.jpg

H S Victor/Military (iron sights)
    - row 1 & 4
    SW 41 1980s (scope)
    - row 2
    SW 41 2023 (scope)
    - row 3
    All at 21' with 5 rds on each 1.75" circles.
    5.17.2024 Range x3.jpg

SW 41 1980s (scope)
    - row 1 & 2
    SW 41 2023 (scope)
    - row 3 & 4
    30' with 5 rds on each 1.75" circles
    5.17.2024 Range Both SW 41 1980s & 2024.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    3X9 or 4X12?
    Those pics in your post are from May 8th.
    They were over different time frames with different optics.
    Recently, I have the following attached:
    - SW 41 1980s = NA Star 4x30
    - SW 41 2021 = Nikon XR Force 2x20

Note: I had written on the range pics that the "new" SW 41 was 2023, but that was year I bought it.
    Previous owner that only put 2-3 mags through then put it in the safe had a receipt showing he bought it in 2021.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I am finally going to accuracy test my 41 , did a quick sight in yesterday at 25 yards and shot a few groups. Need to get the scope focused better next time and have the parallax adjusted for the distance , the yardage indicator on PA scopes is rarely spot on in my experience.
    11 41 burris.jpg

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I am finally going to accuracy test my 41 , did a quick sight in yesterday at 25 yards and shot a few groups. Need to get the scope focused better next time and have the parallax adjusted for the distance , the yardage indicator on PA scopes is rarely spot on in my experience.
    View attachment 353981
    If the yardage indicators aren't spot on, how do you know when you've properly corrected for parallax?

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    If the yardage indicators aren't spot on, how do you know when you've properly corrected for parallax?
    When the reticle does not appear to move regardless of eye position the parallax is correct for the distance. When moving the eye slightly if the the reticle moves too the parallax is not correct. That is the way I understand it. On a rifle it is easier to keep the eye "perfectly" centered , for me a little more difficult with a intermediate or long eye relief handgun scope.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    View attachment 353981
    Love those grips!
    Is that a x2 or a x4 scope?
    25 yds!!! I'm envious!
    I can only do that with my TC Contender or Ruger Chargers since I like using my 1.75" circles.

What ammo do you use besides CCI SV?
    Do you ever use a higher velocity? If so, what.
    I'm getting some stovepipes with my "new" 2021 SW 41 & thinking of using a 1200-ish FPS round.
    I've heard that it can help loosen up a gun so regular SV will work better?

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Love those grips!
    Is that a x2 or a x4 scope?
    25 yds!!! I'm envious!
    I can only do that with my TC Contender or Ruger Chargers since I like using my 1.75" circles.

What ammo do you use besides CCI SV?
    Do you ever use a higher velocity? If so, what.
    I'm getting some stovepipes with my "new" 2021 SW 41 & thinking of using a 1200-ish FPS round.
    I've heard that it can help loosen up a gun so regular SV will work better?
    The grips are German made Nill target grips.
    The scope is actually a rarely seen 5X Burris. Was not able to get the reticle clearly defined on target. Will adjust the focus next time out , was just trying to get sighted in close for now. Yeah I have used that 5X on some Contenders too!

Since CCI std. vel. shoots so well and is very reliable in the 41 its what I have used most often. When I start testing more I'll try some other ammo I have. I had good results with Federal target (711B) which seems to be their entry level std. vel. The handguns of mine that shoot really well with hi-velocity are revolvers , 6" Smith 617 and 5.5" Ruger Single Six.

I've read on many forums how hi-velocity really batters the 41. For an all steel gun I can't see how its can be so delicate but I'm no authority on Model 41 durability. My master bullseye shooter friend used to shoot Winchester Super-X hi-velocity when he used to shoot a 41. Don't know how many rounds he put through it but there was a massive pile of bricks of the stuff sitting on top of his safe!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The grips are German made Nill target grips.
    The scope is actually a rarely seen 5X Burris. Was not able to get the reticle clearly defined on target. Will adjust the focus next time out , was just trying to get sighted in close for now. Yeah I have used that 5X on some Contenders too!

Since CCI std. vel. shoots so well and is very reliable in the 41 its what I have used most often. When I start testing more I'll try some other ammo I have. I had good results with Federal target (711B) which seems to be their entry level std. vel. The handguns of mine that shoot really well with hi-velocity are revolvers , 6" Smith 617 and 5.5" Ruger Single Six.

I've read on many forums how hi-velocity really batters the 41. For an all steel gun I can't see how its can be so delicate but I'm no authority on Model 41 durability. My master bullseye shooter friend used to shoot Winchester Super-X hi-velocity when he used to shoot a 41. Don't know how many rounds he put through it but there was a massive pile of bricks of the stuff sitting on top of his safe!
    Good to know about the friend shooting Win Super-X HV through the 41.
    I am puzzled about my stovepipes in my 2021 SW 41 and am going to try something more than the 1070 FPS of the CCI SV & I have some other Standard Plus (SV??), but it is only rated 1073 FPS, so don't know how much help it will be, but it is greasy ammo, so maybe that will help??
    I'm hoping I got some 1200 FPS of something, but I'd like to have something sub 1200 I can try to eliminate the stovepipes.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Good to know about the friend shooting Win Super-X HV through the 41.
    I am puzzled about my stovepipes in my 2021 SW 41 and am going to try something more than the 1070 FPS of the CCI SV & I have some other Standard Plus (SV??), but it is only rated 1073 FPS, so don't know how much help it will be, but it is greasy ammo, so maybe that will help??
    I was surprised when my friend told me he shot the Super-X HV. I'll have to text him and ask if that was what he used in matches or just practice ammo.

As to the stovepipes don't know if it could be an ejector , extractor or ammo issue with your 41. I usually shoot CCI std. vel. or Federal Target sometimes. The Federal a lot harder to find , think the last brick I bought at Camp Perry. But both of those have been very reliable in my 41.

I am still trying to find the focus sweet spot with 5X Burris on my 41. I tried a 50 yard full mag before the rain rolled in yesterday. Even with the fliers the group would all score the X-ring of a NRA bullseye target. The diamond targets are the 25 yard 5 and 10 shot groups from last week.
    11 smith 41 at 25 and 50.jpg

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was surprised when my friend told me he shot the Super-X HV. I'll have to text him and ask if that was what he used in matches or just practice ammo.

As to the stovepipes don't know if it could be an ejector , extractor or ammo issue with your 41. I usually shoot CCI std. vel. or Federal Target sometimes. The Federal a lot harder to find , think the last brick I bought at Camp Perry. But both of those have been very reliable in my 41.

I am still trying to find the focus sweet spot with 5X Burris on my 41. I tried a 50 yard full mag before the rain rolled in yesterday. Even with the fliers the group would all score the X-ring of a NRA bullseye target. The diamond targets are the 25 yard 5 and 10 shoots from last week.
    View attachment 355259
    Have you ever tried Federal Auto Match in your 41, it's what we shoot out of ours a huge percentage of the practice time.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Have you ever tried Federal Auto Match in your 41, it's what we shoot out of ours a huge percentage of the practice time.
    Have never fired it in the 41 but the recent lots of Auto Match I've tried have been reliable but not the best accuracy. An exception is an older lot that I had about 5 years ago that shot as good as anything I tried in my 22/45. Actually shot my all time best 20 shot 50 yard target with it!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Have never fired it in the 41 but the recent lots of Auto Match I've tried have been reliable but not the best accuracy. An exception is an older lot that I had about 5 years ago that shot as good as anything I tried in my 22/45. Actually shot my all time best 20 shot 50 yard target with it!
    I will agree with over the last 10 years with auto match it's either one or the other. We have had better luck with the old boxes also.
    After the last non existence rimfire debacle I started ordering two of the auto match 10 box flats a month as to never have that problem again. I've been spending some time with my Cooper 57 trying to find what it likes at 50 yds. I've run about 50 of each Federal Match HV, Auto Match, CCI standard, Aguila rifle so far.
    Nothing better than an inch.
    I read the other night that some are shooting Aguila Pistol Match in rifles and it's doing very well for them. I have two cases that I bought hoping our 41's would like it. It was not to be.
    I will see this week with a few more rounds.
    I bought a lead sled at an auction, it's been interested using it for testing.

Top Bottom