• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, I've been thinking about getting a .22lr revolver, mostly for plinking, but also to get use to cc or even oc. Not looking to spend alot.400 would be seriously pushing it. Any suggestions?

andrew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Where the fur traders sang
    Single action or double action?

Single action- Ruger Single Six or if you wanna spend less, Heritage Rough Rider. Both are great

Double action- Not too familiar with these, but you can find old H&R .22 revolvers pretty cheap, and they're nice

chipperej

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Boone County Indiana
    Single action or double action?

Single action- Ruger Single Six or if you wanna spend less, Heritage Rough Rider. Both are great

Double action- Not too familiar with these, but you can find old H&R .22 revolvers pretty cheap, and they're nice

I second the Ruger Single-Six, in fact even better the Single Ten. A great SA revolver.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Double would be the first choice. Shrouded barrel too. I was thinking about the Taurus 94.

The Taurus 94 isn't bad. I have fired a few and they worked fine. I have never had a problem with any Taurus firearm I own or have shot. The 94 has a 9 shot cylinder which is nice. The double action trigger pull wasn't the best, but the SA pull was decent.

I have a Charter Arms Pathfinder that I have been really happy with. Ruger now offers the LCR in .22lr and it looks really nice, DAO trigger.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The Taurus 94 isn't bad. I have fired a few and they worked fine. I have never had a problem with any Taurus firearm I own or have shot. The 94 has a 9 shot cylinder which is nice. The double action trigger pull wasn't the best, but the SA pull was decent.

I have a Charter Arms Pathfinder that I have been really happy with. Ruger now offers the LCR in .22lr and it looks really nice, DAO trigger.

I've been looking at the pathfinder too. Both look like good guns. Good reviews too. Although I'm starting to think I should consider .22 mag.

IDK, what do you guys think?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I went with the .22lr for cost of ammo. The .22 mag is a fun round too, but just not as cheap as the .22lr.

You could always get a model that offers the conversion cylinders. Cylinder for .22lr and a cylinder for .22 mag, 2 guns in one!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For me the fact of 550 rounds of ammo for $20 was one of the top reasons for the purchase. I get to the range as often as possible (usually every other weekend at least) and have been known to be there for 5 or 6 hours at a time. The cost of .22lr ammo lets me shoot a whole lot more. :rockwoot:

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I went with the .22lr for cost of ammo. The .22 mag is a fun round too, but just not as cheap as the .22lr.

You could always get a model that offers the conversion cylinders. Cylinder for .22lr and a cylinder for .22 mag, 2 guns in one!

I believe the taurus 94 has that.

For me the fact of 550 rounds of ammo for $20 was one of the top reasons for the purchase. I get to the range as often as possible (usually every other weekend at least) and have been known to be there for 5 or 6 hours at a time. The cost of .22lr ammo lets me shoot a whole lot more. :rockwoot:

That was my think as well. Dirt cheap ammo is a huge reason why I'm going this way. .22 mag is about 10x more expensive than long rifle. Not tearable. I might start with it in .22lr, and then maybe upgrade.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    $400 max leaves you with Taurus 94 or Charter Arms (both SA/DA). If you can save up another $100 you're into Ruger's territory with the Single Six (Convertible), Single Ten, and SP101 (SA/DA). After researching the .22 wmr convertibles, they sound fun but don't seem very useful since you are going to do all your target shooting/plinking with the .22 lr since it's so much cheaper. You have a boatload of ammo choices in the .22 lr from 700 fps CBs to 1260 fps Bulk ammo to 1600 fps Stingers. You will probably shoot SA with the SA/DAs as well. But, the Ruger SAs are slow to load.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    My next .22 LR revolver is definitely going to be the new Ruger LCR-22
    Ruger LCR.

On the Ruger Forum, Jeff Quinn, the reviewer in the video, says the trigger pull is just as good on the .22 as it is on the .38 and .357 LCR's. That's saying a lot, because the trigger on every other DA rimfire revolver I've ever shot, including S&W, Charter Arms, Colt, other Rugers, and some German piece of crap, the triggers ranged from heavy to intolerable. :twocents:

Last edited:

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009

From experience the taurus 94 has a very heavy trigger pull. It gets to be very tiring in DA at the range. You can change out the springs, but then it becomes prone to light strikes.

The upside to the taurus is it would eat anything. I once leaded the barrel up going through a pack of thunderbolts. The bullets were tumbling through the air as the target was showing outlines from the bullet hitting the target sideways.

The gun was also more accurate then I was capable of. All in all a very nice piece, if you can get past the heavy trigger.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks guy's. I'm open to any more ya got. The ruger looks sweet but is outside of my price rabge for the moment. I've heard about the heavy DA trigger pull on the revolvers, but I guess thats going to be something I'm going to have to live with for now.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks guy's. I'm open to any more ya got. The ruger looks sweet but is outside of my price rabge for the moment. I've heard about the heavy DA trigger pull on the revolvers, but I guess thats going to be something I'm going to have to live with for now.

I see you are in Ft. Wayne. Where do you shoot at? If you ever want to try out the Pathfinder just shoot me a PM sometime and we can try to work something out.

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The Taurus 94 is.nice. but don't use Winchester bulk ammo. U hqve to field clean every 150 rounds Federal ammo u will have to field clean after 200 rounds. Cci ammo is the best I seen so far with the 94. I am sure there is.better out there but haven't found it yet for the price. If u can find a used. H& r go with that first. They don't stick like the 94 does when it gts dirty. Indy trading post had a decent h&r for 170.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom