• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm looking for a new rifle. Something with a bit more power than my 22LR, but I don't need anything too big. I don't hunt, so I don't need anything that will drop a deer, I just want something to take care of varmints that raid my garden, and to do some target shooting, without breaking the bank.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should be looking for? I would prefer semi-auto, clip-fed (tube fed is ok), wood stock, American made, reliable, and economical.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Not too many reliable semi-auto 17HMR's or 22Mag. My favorite squirrel rifles are a CZ 17 MachII and Savage 17HMR.
    Check out the Savage 17HMR with accutrigger. Great shooting rifle and relatively inexpensive.
    Both the CZ and Savage are magazine fed, bolt actions.

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    the rifles above are nice, true. though id also add the mossberg 817 of all things. absolute featherweight of a gun. great accuracy, and should cost you under 200 dollars. also a bolt gun, good luck in your purchasing.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    CZ has released their semi auto Model 512 in .22 magnum also. Uses the same mags as the bolt guns. Runs about $425 new. I saw a used one with like 20 rounds fired for $300 ish.

reload4ever

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Go with the 17Hmr Mossbergs 817 International. Light weight very accurate clip fed varmint killin machine. Just purchased one at Bir R for 149.00. Ammo is cheap and man what a tack driver. Gonna use mine to knock a few squirrels from the trees this year.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I haven't seen the Mossberg 17. I'm going to have to check into them. I love my CZ in 17 MachII for squirrels. I usually let people use my Savage to squirrel hunt with if somebody needs a gun. Both are tack drivers. Just make sure you do head shots. The 17 can make a good sized exit hole!

smokey1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Indiana
    Go with the 17Hmr Mossbergs 817 International. Light weight very accurate clip fed varmint killin machine. Just purchased one at Bir R for 149.00. Ammo is cheap and man what a tack driver. Gonna use mine to knock a few squirrels from the trees this year.

I was in Big R today, and I checked out that very gun. Not exactly what I was looking for, so I didn't go ahead & get it, but as of right now it's at the top of my list..... mainly because nobody else had anything in stock. I loved the price on it too.... you really can't go wrong for that ammount of money.

smokey1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Indiana
    Not too many reliable semi-auto 17HMR's or 22Mag. My favorite squirrel rifles are a CZ 17 MachII and Savage 17HMR.
    Check out the Savage 17HMR with accutrigger. Great shooting rifle and relatively inexpensive.
    Both the CZ and Savage are magazine fed, bolt actions.

I like the look of the Savage, and I can pick up a used one with a wood stock in 22wmr for about $125, I'm just not liking the 5 round mags.

smokey1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Indiana
    What I'd REALLY like to find is a Remington 597 in 22wmr. I have the 22lr version, and I really like it. Unfortunately, NOBODY stocks it in 22wmr, and if I order it, it's gonna run me over $400..... I like it, but I don't like it THAT much. I keep hoping I'll stumble onto a used one somewhere.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    The WMR will definately hit harder, but the HMR will out shoot it at distance in my opinion. I don't think you will find any auto loaders in .17 HMR. I know Remington had one out for a while, but they recalled all of them.

deadeye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Pulaski Co.
    Marlin bolt action 22 mag is the cheap way. 10/22 mag is the better way.

I bought a used marlin 22 mag for $130. i keep it around as a throw around gun dont have to worry about hurting it. More accurate than you would think also.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    What I'd REALLY like to find is a Remington 597 in 22wmr. I have the 22lr version, and I really like it. Unfortunately, NOBODY stocks it in 22wmr, and if I order it, it's gonna run me over $400..... I like it, but I don't like it THAT much. I keep hoping I'll stumble onto a used one somewhere.

I had one for a while I picked up NIB at an auction. The receiver was drilled and tapped CROOKED from the bore. Impossible to zero. function was good, though. For the money, and if you insist on a semi-auto, keep looking for a CZ 512 magnum. New around $400, used around $300 and 10 round mags available. I would strongly think about a bolt though as a Savage or CZ bolt is much cheaper.

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    Marlin Model XT-17
    MFCXT-17VO-70713-lg.jpg

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    the rifles above are nice, true. though id also add the mossberg 817 of all things. absolute featherweight of a gun. great accuracy, and should cost you under 200 dollars. also a bolt gun, good luck in your purchasing.

+1:yesway: Bought one of these last year, and it's a nice additon to my collection. I was a bit worried on trigger pull, but was pleased with the results. Mossberg did a great job with this simple, but very nice rifle.

Top Bottom