• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im looking at purchasing a new caliber to play around with just for punching paper. An Im wanting to try one of the new Savage Axis Heavy barrel rifles (why Im not sure other than just want to see what it will do and their priced VERY affordable, so don't flame me to bad for wanting to try one :laugh:) I'm thinking of either .243 or 22-250 since there fast an flat cartridges which would pose well I would think for 350-600yrd group shooting and will be shot off the bench. Looking for which would be the best overall accuracy since Im not to familiar with either caliber ( have shot them many years ago but was nothing other than a couple times. But since they are a common caliber brass an projectiles are available since I will reload for it. For those of you that either have or currently shoot this caliber for groups which do you prefer? What are some of your favorite loads? Which has less felt recoil? Thanks guys

scrub buck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    usa
    In your shoes; i'd choose the 243. Main reason being the distance you want to shoot. The 243 has a 9.25 twist which should stabilize the 105 amax and the like whereas the 22/250 has 12 twist and you'll probably be limited to something like the 55gr vmax as bullet with the best BC . The 250 will have less recoil, but the 243 will buck the wind better... my .02

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ok thanks for the info. Yea I was more less leaning to the 243 but have always wondered about the 22-250 as there r a number of guys that swear by it.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i have both. my 22/250 is a kimber 84m varmint with a 6x24 scope. shoots less than i/2 moa at 300 yds. (with a 40ish female with nerves of steel). the bullit goes out at about 4000 fps and i have my best luck with 55 gr over varget.

my 243 is an ackley improved 1.250 straight barrel, single shot designed for benchrest only. weighs 23 lbs. has a 9 twist and best groups with 95 gr smk over 36 gr varget, set .005 off lands. 1'' groups from 300 yds. easily good to 800 yds. has a 10x50x60 sightron scope and a 5 oz trigger pull.

totally different guns than the axis or ruger american, but for the distance you want to shoot the heavier 243 bullit will suit you better. but 4000 fps of the 22/250 is still super fun too.

cant help with recoil, because bench gun has NO recoil due to weight and my rest. but the 22/250 has very minimal recoil.

hope this helps and thank indyjohn for sending me a text for this thread.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have both a Ruger M77 in .243 and a Savage 110 in 22-250. Like others have said for long shots the .243 would be the best choice shooting the heavy projectiles. I have never shot either of my rifles that far. The 22-250 Savage outshoots the Ruger hands down. I have it zeroed at a hundred and it makes one hole in the target. Like others have also mentioned the speed of the 250 is hilarious! I love putting small water bottles and hedge apples and whatever else I can find down range to shoot at. All you see is a vapor the instant the trigger is pulled. Loads of fun although the massive impact of a 100grn Remington Corloct impacting steel from the .243 is impressive no doubt.

I would give the Savage a try and make your caliber choice on what distance you will shoot the most cost of rounds figured in also. Kind of like buying a boat use the 80/20 rule. Buy what will be needed 80 percent of the time and the other 20 percent you can make it work for you. Have fun and be safe.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    i have both. my 22/250 is a kimber 84m varmint with a 6x24 scope. shoots less than i/2 moa at 300 yds. (with a 40ish female with nerves of steel). the bullit goes out at about 4000 fps and i have my best luck with 55 gr over varget.

my 243 is an ackley improved 1.250 straight barrel, single shot designed for benchrest only. weighs 23 lbs. has a 9 twist and best groups with 95 gr smk over 36 gr varget, set .005 off lands. 1'' groups from 300 yds. easily good to 800 yds. has a 10x50x60 sightron scope and a 5 oz trigger pull.

totally different guns than the axis or ruger american, but for the distance you want to shoot the heavier 243 bullit will suit you better. but 4000 fps of the 22/250 is still super fun too.

cant help with recoil, because bench gun has NO recoil due to weight and my rest. but the 22/250 has very minimal recoil.

hope this helps and thank indyjohn for sending me a text for this thread.

Thanks for the info. Yea I beat that 243AI is a beast out to long range. Like I mentioned Im just looking for something to play with mostly. I do reload so ammo isn't a problem for either 243 or 22-250. It really does seem for what Im trying to do the 243 may be the way to go. I know its nothing like your bench gun in 243 but mostly just something cheap to tinker around with is why I was wanting to get one of the Axis heavy barrels. An to just see what it will do. Gets old shooting the same caliber all the time, time for something new, lol

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have both a Ruger M77 in .243 and a Savage 110 in 22-250. Like others have said for long shots the .243 would be the best choice shooting the heavy projectiles. I have never shot either of my rifles that far. The 22-250 Savage outshoots the Ruger hands down. I have it zeroed at a hundred and it makes one hole in the target. Like others have also mentioned the speed of the 250 is hilarious! I love putting small water bottles and hedge apples and whatever else I can find down range to shoot at. All you see is a vapor the instant the trigger is pulled. Loads of fun although the massive impact of a 100grn Remington Corloct impacting steel from the .243 is impressive no doubt.

I would give the Savage a try and make your caliber choice on what distance you will shoot the most cost of rounds figured in also. Kind of like buying a boat use the 80/20 rule. Buy what will be needed 80 percent of the time and the other 20 percent you can make it work for you. Have fun and be safe.

Yea I really don't have to much experience with the 22-250 but I know a lot of guys really like it. I just know the 6mm bullets are really liked for longer range accuracy with the nice BC they offer. An the good thing is you can still find .243 factory ammo so a guy could get brass pretty easily. 22-250 on the other hand I cant really remember the last time I seen a box in stock at like my local WM or even the LGS other the crazy expensive high end hunting rounds. But 4000fps out of a 22cal projectile really does make a guy think, lol

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Very interesting! I think a bit out of my price range for what IM currently trying to do. But there is just something about a skinny bullet an a big fat case, lol

Top Bottom