• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm considering a viper PST 1x4 or strike eagle 1x6 for an AR I have, with the intent to be able to shoot to 400m or so (I know 5.56 and wind and all that). My concern is mostly target ID through a 24mm objective at night. Not at 400m, but I would like to be able to see my target at 1-200m at night. Am I better off going with a 2.5x10x32 or 2.5x10x44 or would the lower power optic be ok? I like the option of 1x for up close work, but I have another AR with a t-1 and want this optic to fill more of a DMR role. I don't have much experience with scopes, so I wanted to get people's opinions.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Generally speaking the larger the objective and lower the magnification the better you'll see in low light. It has been my experience that 6x is about as high as I can go and still see reasonably well at dawn and dusk.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    OBJ lens size is only part of the equation in light transmission. As Cory mentioned, another big part is zoom. Rule of thumb is 1x of zoom=5mm OBJ, so a PST 1-4 on 1 x would transmit the same light to your eye as a 4-16x44 on 4x (not an exact equation as there is more that goes into it than that, but a rule of thumb).

No need to act fast on the Cabelas deal, Ill match it, and I dont expect you to stare at the computer 24/7 to catch the deals, Ill match it for a day or so.

Also, are we talking about low light, or NIGHT shooting?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    OBJ lens size is only part of the equation in light transmission. As Cory mentioned, another big part is zoom. Rule of thumb is 1x of zoom=5mm OBJ, so a PST 1-4 on 1 x would transmit the same light to your eye as a 4-16x44 on 4x (not an exact equation as there is more that goes into it than that, but a rule of thumb).

No need to act fast on the Cabelas deal, Ill match it, and I dont expect you to stare at the computer 24/7 to catch the deals, Ill match it for a day or so.

Now that is a stand-up offer on the price match.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus

Wow awesome. I guess it would be low light. Guess I didn't realize zoom had that much effect on light.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    When folks say night shooting, I think PVS-28, thermal, etc

Low light is diffrent, and I personally have a PST 1-4 on my coyote rifle with no complaints.

After thinking back to my time in the army, even with the sights we had seeing something at 200 m was a bit of a stretch.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Update on the Cabelas deal.

It was just another bait and switch. When you placed your order saying the price was wrong. I kept my word and matched it for awhile even though they did not. I cant make a habbit of selling scopes for 1/2 dealer price so Im canceling the sale.

How many bait and switch's will the customer put up with before stopping shopping at a location? There have been 3 or 4 from Cabela's in the last month.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Which is why my next optics purchase will be through your never have had the pleasure of doing business with you, but I admire your honesty and willingness to help people. It is a great quality for a business owner to have that sadly you don't see often enough. If I could I would buy something right now. But sadly I'm a poor kid.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Figures. That was way too good of a deal. Don't think anyone is going to blame you for not honoring that price. You have to make money. Just how it works.

We appreciate the offer though!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Figures. That was way too good of a deal. Don't think anyone is going to blame you for not honoring that price. You have to make money. Just how it works.

We appreciate the offer though!

I honored it long enough to sell 35, but at losing a couple hundred per scope i just cant be the only honest company in the game.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Ya definitely can't do that.. It's not sustainable. If I ordered one I would tell you to cancel it. Kinda shady business practices on cabelas part...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ya definitely can't do that.. It's not sustainable. If I ordered one I would tell you to cancel it. Kinda shady business practices on cabelas part...

I actually had a couple people thank me and tell me to cancel the order. Its very nice to see the good will go both ways. Truth be told, I get just as much of the customer trying to screw me out of a dollar, as the customer gets of the vendor trying to screw them out of a dollar.

Top Bottom