• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    You may think, "Why .25-06?". Well it was free, it's a Ruger American Predator in .25-06 that I won from their annual sales promotion. So now that that's out of the way, I've been looking at scope options for this rifle for quite a while. Scopes are probably my weakest point when it comes to firearms. So what I'd like to do with it is make it a long range rifle that will probably ever only be used at a range. Based on what I've been looking at I think I like the idea of something in the range of a 6-24x50. I'd like to be able to shoot at 600 yards at some point, or even further. On other scope threads everyone says it depends on your price, so I guess less than $350??

My scope experience as of now, is a Hawke Optics Sport HD 2-7x32 on my Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. Definitely an entry level set up, but I'm pretty happy with the $80 scope as far as just learning the ropes. At 100 yards I had all 20 rounds on the small handgun target I used. Not an awesome group by any means, but satisfied what I expected of it while it was sighted in at 50 yards. Hawke Optics has several scope options well bellow 350, anyone have experience with them at far distances? I'm fully expecting to be told VORTEX VORTEX VORTEX, and that's fine but I'd love to hear some other suggestions as well. Thanks!

trsowders76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2014
    Bedford
    I have a Redfield battle zone 6x18 and have only shot it out to 500 yards but can hit 4" steel easy with my 308 . They can be had for around $300 .

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Redfield battle zone 6x18 and have only shot it out to 500 yards but can hit 4" steel easy with my 308 . They can be had for around $300 .

Sounds like a nice scope! Looking at it on their website, it says the BDC is set up for .223 and .308. So I'd assume it wouldn't work for other calibers

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    As you might like to exceed 600 yards, and your 25-06 is hamstrung by bullet options, consider a fixed 6x or 10x SWFA super sniper. Fits your price range and handily crushes everything else that does.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Anyone have experience with the Vortex Crossfire II? I'm looking at the 6-24x50 with the 30mm tube.
    No experience with this exact scope, but some hands on with several other Crossfire II's. Any of the scopes in the Vortex line will track perfectly, and that is the crux of the matter when it comes to long range shooting ... hell, any range shooting. They're all plenty clear enough, the skies the limit on magnification and reticle type, they're affordable, etc. and so forth. But tracking is where a good quality scope separates itself from just any scope.

Take the time to call Alan (A&A Optics ... 42769vette), or better yet make an appointment to spend some time in his shop ... you won't be disappointed.

After you get your rifle all set up, sign up for a Basic Rifle class with Revere's Riders and start to learn how to really shoot your rig to its full potential.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    "You can fool the fans but you can't fool the players" is a handy saying, but Vortex impresses me by staking financial gain on it in offering a 30mm tube with 40 MOA of internal adjustment. That take guts.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The CS2 6-24 is not for long range shooting, its for Benchrest shooting. Like the NF Benchrest series with 30mm tube, it doesnt have the travel for the LR game. LR shooting is much more about internal travel than it is about zoom.

The deal cwillour posted is a great option, and I would be happy to match it.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    As you might like to exceed 600 yards, and your 25-06 is hamstrung by bullet options, consider a fixed 6x or 10x SWFA super sniper. Fits your price range and handily crushes everything else that does.

I've spent some time on their website looking at these because of your suggestion and also reading about using fixed power scopes for long range. Do you have personal experience with these scopes? I can't seem to find a complaint about them anywhere! They seem promising but I have more reading to do.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You can read all you want, but you should take advantage of Alan's knowledge and experience. He won't try to pressure you into buying anything and is an honest guy.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    You can read all you want, but you should take advantage of Alan's knowledge and experience. He won't try to pressure you into buying anything and is an honest guy.

^^^^ Alan really is a great resource.

As for the standard SWFA's, the couple I have used have been solid and reliable, but not great. It's subjective & a sample size of 1, but the optics on my 10x didn't seem as crisp as my $200 Bushnell Elite 10x (although the SWFA does have several advantages over the Bushnell: adjustment range, Parallax adjustment, 30mm tube, etc.)

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Do you have personal experience with these scopes? I can't seem to find a complaint about them anywhere! They seem promising but I have more reading to do.

I don't have many in service, 6 of the newer generation MQ variety and 2 of the older MOA design. I know of nothing in your stated price range that offers as much reliability and exacting erector accuracy. One can certainly spend more to get less.

The MQs offer a more tactile turret click than MOA, and the reticle makes more sense as well. The HD line offers improved brightness and better resolution, but I don't rank those features highly enough to justify the added cost.

lionhunt64

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    At Close Range
    Having been in the Outfitting business for 13 yrs, I was asked a lot about how much should I spend on a scope. My reply was always 1/2 of the valve of the rifle. $1000 rifle, spend $500 on optics. In my experience have always had good luck with Leopold, Zeiss, Burris, Nikon. Lot of good glass out there, just remember you get what you pay for. Eye Relief is very important. I have had 25-06 for over 30 years, one my favs. Good Luck

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My best friend was provided all the Pabst Blue Ribbon and FMJ 25-06 he could use beneath the DMZ.
    If he hadn't already gone home I'd ask him about the best scope.
    G'nite David.

gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I have been very happy with my vortex diamondback and have a few friends that are running various vortex scopes all with good success

Top Bottom