• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjthebassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2014
    5 miles from nowhere
    While at work today was offered a .25acp semiauto of unknown origin (he's not much of a gun guy nor did he have it on him so he didn't know much about it.. kinda makes me wonder why he has it) and was just curious as how this would work as a last resort/pocket pistol. Any idea on effectiveness, and availability of said ammo? Have to admit. I've never seen much of it. Thanks in advance. Oh, and if you wanna highlight any legality concerns on private party handgun sales be my guest. :-)

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, there's the general thought that ANY gun is better than no gun.

Depending on how much the Seller wants for the little auto, IMO a NAA mini-revolver in .22 mag is probably a better option.

If the Seller wanted $50 or something for it, I'd probably grab it up just to have it, depending on what it actually is, condition, :blahblah:.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm not familiar with .25acp at all, but what I have heard is that its a pretty pathetic round

I agree. I'm not exactly impressed with the .25ACP (and also .32ACP) for self defense. Here is a ballistics gel test for .25 ACP FMJ:

Pocket Guns and Gear: Sellier and Bellot 25 Auto 50 Grain FMJ Gel Test

10.5" of penetration from a FMJ should give you a general idea. If you're looking for a small backup, you're much better off going with a Keltec, Ruger, Bodyguard, etc. in .380.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Too many .380 pocket pistol options to mess with a .25. I agree that even a .22 WMR is a better choice. However, if the gun is free or very cheap, it's better than carrying a rock in your pocket.............barely.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    He's wanting $100 not very sure of it so I brought it to the infinite wealth of wisdon that is INGO :)

Take that $100.00 and put it towards a nice belt knife. Like this one: Spyderco Enuff Clip Point Fixed Blade Knife | GPKNIVES.com or for a bit more this one: Spyderco Street Beat | GPKNIVES.com not only would it be a better use of your money you would actually get something worth having and using. Not to mention a knife is a hell of a lot more useful than a pistol most days.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    .25 wouldn't even work for a suicide gun. Saw x-rays of a suicide attempt where the slug punctured the skin and followed the guys skull for a bit. The docs only had to break the skin to get it out.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Maybe if it is a Beretta with a tip up barrel in do that deal. 25 acp being center fire is a little more reliable than a 22lr in the same gun. I'd still pick it up for trade bait though.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    As a last resort maybe. A backup gun, anything is better than picking up a rock.

My buddy recently bought a gun that shoots .25 ACP against my advice as a PRIMARY carry...

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    instead of carrying that as a back up gun, put the $100 to another mag and a way of carrying it for your primary carry gun, and get a quick openning tatical folding knife instead. That way you have more ammo instead of relying on the .25 ACP round, and if your up close, you have a quick deploying cold steel weapon.

Honestly, for just personal defense on the street, given your drawing from concealment, your almost better off carrying a knife. By the time you can draw and crank off a shot, a guy with a bat, brick, knife, or just open hand can to you from 5-10yards(more if your out of practice). And in a close up fight like that , I would rather have one hand with a knife and another to block/grapple/strike etc rather then have both hands tied up from trying to accurately shoot a little .25 acp under stress and have it stop the guy.

Not to mention a knife is considered a lesser level of force then a gun

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not to mention a knife is considered a lesser level of force then a gun

Use of deadly force is use of deadly force.

Not sure what kind of .25 ACP the OP was offered. Some of those little "Saturday Night Specials" may not be drop safe and also may not be worth $100 in value. Personally I would pass.

That said I worked with a couple of ladies last week that brought a .25 acp Lorcin or Raven? to the range. Dang little thing actually went bang every time and they even hit the target.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Feel free to use this approach...............$100 for that piece of junk? I'll give you $20 because I like you. If I didn't, you'd have to pay me to take it away!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    .25 wouldn't even work for a suicide gun. Saw x-rays of a suicide attempt where the slug punctured the skin and followed the guys skull for a bit. The docs only had to break the skin to get it out.

Some years back on INGO there was a .25 thread and soemone had an ER story of a "lady" whose pimp shot her in the head with 7 rounds. Alll of them did what yuou described above.

As for .25 pistols and self defense, I hear if if you put 2 or 3 in a sock you knock someone the _______ out!

For $100 or a little more you would have a better self defense gun with a HiPoint 9MM. ( If they still sell fr that cheap)

* Disclaimer: I do not want to stand infront of a .25. Or even a really big spitball*

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    I have a CZ Duo (1948) .25 acp that fits in my pocket nicely, and is actually a pretty accurate shooter for the size. It's really reliable and consistent. I enjoy having it and shooting with it. But, it was also gifted to me. I do keep it in my pocket from time to time, simply because that's what I have available. If I were to have purchased a gun for the purpose of having it as a BUG, I would put the money toward a more reasonable caliber.

If you research your friend's gun, it might be worth what he's asking. Buy it if you just want it for the novelty or for plinking. Be advised, though; .25 ammo is expensive for what you get.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Depends on manufacturer if it has that value. A lot of older European .25s are worth that, and don't forget Colt and Browning used to make some that are pretty collectible now. If it's a Lorcin/Raven/Jimenez? Not worth any more than $50 IMHO.

I'd keep it as a BUG if you had to have your BUG pretty well concealed. I don't really feel comfortable with anything less than .32 though. Even if .25 doesn't kill very well I'd think a few rounds to the face would deter an attacker at least.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You've heard of belly guns? Well, the .25acp would best be described as an eye socket gun. Anywhere else and I don't like your survival chances.

Top Bottom