• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Okay, I may have a bit of Holiday $$ for spending, and I'm considering one of the low-budget bolt action rifles as a possible buy. I'm looking at the $400 range rifles such as the Rem 770 and the Savage and Mossberg models. The thing is, I can't decide on .270 vs. .308.

As far as I am concerned now, it will be mostly used for range plinking, but I may get a chance for hog or maybe even elk someday (after I retire... lol) so I want to keep that in the decision too. I am leaning toward the .308 due to heavier bullet options for big game someday, and I can use cheap 7.62 ammo for practice (right?) Does that sound reasonable?

Is there a big difference in recoil between the two if using mid range ammo?

Any other things to think about that I need to factor in?

Thanks for any feedback.

----
    GB!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Okay, I may have a bit of Holiday $$ for spending, and I'm considering one of the low-budget bolt action rifles as a possible buy. I'm looking at the $400 range rifles such as the Rem 770 and the Savage and Mossberg models. The thing is, I can't decide on .270 vs. .308.

As far as I am concerned now, it will be mostly used for range plinking, but I may get a chance for hog or maybe even elk someday (after I retire... lol) so I want to keep that in the decision too. I am leaning toward the .308 due to heavier bullet options for big game someday, and I can use cheap 7.62 ammo for practice (right?) Does that sound reasonable?

Is there a big difference in recoil between the two if using mid range ammo?

Any other things to think about that I need to factor in?

Thanks for any feedback.

----
    GB!

I would go with the 308 for sure on ammo selection alone! I like the 30-06 myself but both your choices hit hard. And I would stay away from the 770 series, read too many bad things. Savage makes good rifles, I like my Remington 700 a lot.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Both of these calibers will fill the needs you set out...the .308 wins because ammo is cheaper by far...more options too...and I too prefer the short action compared to the long action .270 as well.:twocents:

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    308 hands down because of the ammo and bullet choice and the short action. The Savage is the best gun for the actual dollar spent, they make great barrels.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i would go with 308 because of the bullet size for down the road. i own a 770 in 30-06 and its an accurate gun and shoots well....just dont expect it to be super smooth and all that.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Thanks! That helps to confirm my thinking that .308 is probably the best pick of the two. Now, we'll just have to wait and see what I can find during the end-of-year sales, but I will definetly keep my eye out for the Savage and Rugers.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    7mm-08. Shoots flatter hits harder than a .308. Short action. Best of both worlds.

Reload.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had a .270 for deer hunting down south. Great for that purpose but expensive to shoot. I'd go with the .308 out of those two choices for your intended purpose. The 7mm-08 is an awesome hunting round as well but will also be more expensive to shoot than the .308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If i were you i would not waste a bolt action purchase on the Remington 770. It will shoot accurately, but it is very "sloppy". I am a Remington guy, but for that price range, then look into a Savage.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    On a whim I purchased a Rem 770 in .308 a while back. I bought it at Wally World and IIRC it was $297.00 on sale. I changed out the scope that came with it to better glass. Suprisingly enough it shoots pretty good. I shot a nice size deer in West Virginia 2 weeks ago at approx 180yds and she dropped in her tracks. Not a great trigger or action but for the $$ i've been very pleased thus far.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I have some Radway Green surplus Match ammo that begs to differ.

What kind of performance have you seen? My experience has been that 2 MOA from any FMJ bullet is pretty good, even in a rifle that is MOA or better with match bullets.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would go with the 308 for sure on ammo selection alone! I like the 30-06 myself but both your choices hit hard. And I would stay away from the 770 series, read too many bad things. Savage makes good rifles, I like my Remington 700 a lot.

Yup.

I really kind of like the idea of a .270 rifle...

Top Bottom