• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • samo975

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm because of all the positive reviews online, and a few friends that own it couldn’t stop talking it up. I did my research, compared guns, saved the money and bought one (when I could find it). Found a good company to make me an IWB holster for it and so far I can’t say I have any complaints.
    The other guns in the running were the Beretta Nano and the Walther PPS. I held each of the guns at my local gun store and just like everyone said both the Shield and PPS had gritty triggers. Something that when I read about I completely under estimated how much it really did feel like someone dumped a bucket of sand into the gun. Really frustrating! The salesman assured me that it will break in and feel great. Sure enough he was right. I have so far put about 100 rounds through the gun and it is nice and smooth.
    Now to my question. I know that the Shield is smaller, lighter, more ergonomic, newer, holds more rounds...than the PPS. BUT, I don’t know how to explain it other than in Nutnfancy terms (yes I know his videos are ridiculously long, but I like his reviews). It just doesn’t have the second type of cool to me. I just don’t dig the gun. I can’t put my finger on it. I seriously try to find reasons to not like it and come up empty. The Walther on the other hand has the coolness factor to it. Once again, can’t put my finger on it…I just dig the PPS (even though I don’t own it. Forbidden fruit syndrome?).
    Does anyone else have experience with both the PPS and the Shield? Why did you pick one over the other? And if you have the PPS, did that trigger smooth out after a 100 rounds or so?

samo975

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ah ok. very good thanks! did the PPS trigger every smooth out? it's trigger felt quite a bit worse than the shield.
    and like i said. i know that the shield beats out the walther in every category (including price which i failed to mention earlier).

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    We are not talking about rare collector guns here. If you don't love the Shield, sell it and buy a Walther. If you don't love it, sell it and buy something else.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have the PPS and yes the trigger was rough in the beginning. After a few hundred rounds it is nice and smooth. I carry it in a IWB holster and it's almost like it isn't there.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Every gun I have ever owned for the most part has at least had a polishing stone taken to the trigger, but am pretty well experienced at that so my guns typically don't have a break in period to smooth out. With that said I don't carry either anymore. My go to carry gun is a smith 642

samo975

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    you say it so matter of fact :) it takes a lot of "work" for me to get a new/different gun so i am just trying to see if anyone else has been in my shoes.
    but when you put it that way. I think i might just switch it up.

Hal42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    Why not just find someone who has a PPS and go to the range with them? You can find out for yourself.

That's said so easily mate. We obviously have a great and dedicated forum, but the ability to just up, ask, and do isn't that simple. I wish I had the know how and confidence to suggest who or where to search to try your recommendation. Your abruptness suggests you do.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Why not just find someone who has a PPS and go to the range with them? You can find out for yourself.
    This +1 ^^ I'm north of Westfield and would be happy to let the OP or anybody else for that matter try my PPS. If you have a Shield bring that cause I'd love to try one out.

Hal42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    This +1 ^^ I'm north of Westfield and would be happy to let the OP or anybody else for that matter try my PPS. If you have a Shield bring that cause I'd love to try one out.

Righto. That's an awesome offer. Plenty of us, myself included, could benefit from that kind of attitude in the community.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    If you come tot Fort Wayne you can shoot mine. I like the PPS. Better built

166wvio.jpg

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Love my PPS. After a few hundred rounds the trigger has improved dramatically. It's nowhere near a hammer-fired SA break, but it's the best of the small guns I've owned. Plus, it fits my hand perfectly, I LOVE the paddle mag drop (wish I could get more guns with this) and carries very well. I can't speak for the shield, never owned one. Had a Nano for a bit, hated the trigger with a passion and sold it.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Haha thanks patriot 12.99 at sams club. I couldn't just use some cheap pencils to prop them up!

samo975

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011

I was actually thinking the same thing as Hal. easier said than done. that is a very good offer. I am on the north east side of Indy, and would love to meet you at the range. trigger time might be all I need to push me over the edge.

samo975

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Love my PPS. After a few hundred rounds the trigger has improved dramatically. It's nowhere near a hammer-fired SA break, but it's the best of the small guns I've owned. Plus, it fits my hand perfectly, I LOVE the paddle mag drop (wish I could get more guns with this) and carries very well. I can't speak for the shield, never owned one. Had a Nano for a bit, hated the trigger with a passion and sold it.

that is what I wanted to hear. when I first shot the shield i was worried that the "gritty" feeling would stick around. but, sure enough just like everyone said it smoothed right out. I hadn't heard how the trigger resolved itself with the PPS. everyone seems to be in consensus with the Walther.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think you'll have a hard time finding "2nd type of cool" out of the vast majority of today's polymer-framed pistols.

They're like the "Volkswagons" of the 30s-50s. Relatively simple, relatively inexpensive, no frills, get the job done tools.

I've never live-fired a PPS. But I have handled/dry fired 3-4 different examples over the years as they always intrigued me (I'm a former P99 owner & somewhat of a Walther "fan").

I kept putting the PPS down - for various reasons. Grip felt blocky to me, gun felt too big for what it is/was, right strange way to decock that sucker, rather expensive and almost non-existant aftermarket - and same with mags. And the PPS trigger felt QUITE stiff.

I do like the Shield, though. More comfortable to hold in hand than the PPS. (But I also have some experience with the larger M&P platforms...). Seems to be just the right size of a gun for what it is - not overly heavy. Plus the Shield is/was at least $200 less. $200 is 6 more Shield mags...

Top Bottom