• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Yep, and I've found a winning combination using an 1187, NIKON Slughunter Scope, and Winchester Rackmaster 20g Slugs.

It literally drives tacks.

Mine groups so well, I quit wanting anything else to hunt with.

It is devastating when it slams a deer.

I highly recommend this combination. :yesway:

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I highly recommend you also check out the Savage 220 slug gun before you make a purchase. It is a bolt-action rifle that just happens to shoot slugs. With the right shell and a little practice, it is a 200-yard weapon. I have one and will never go back to a shotgun for deer hunting.

slickfist

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    noble county
    look at the h&r heavy barrel single shots. my gf has one for deer hunting and the gun shoots great. she can shoot 1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. the gun is heavy so not much recoil. also it is pretty cheap to buy.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    My taxidermist uses an 1100 with this setup and some kind of sabot/slug. Claims to
    hit under 7" at 200yrds . I don't know what gauge, cantilever barrel, rifled bore...
    Cheap scope made for slugs.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I highly recommend you also check out the Savage 220 slug gun before you make a purchase. It is a bolt-action rifle that just happens to shoot slugs. With the right shell and a little practice, it is a 200-yard weapon. I have one and will never go back to a shotgun for deer hunting.

if i ever go back to shotgun deer hunting this is what i will be buying no hesitation. they are amazingly accurate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm not a bolt shotgun fan.
    Seems pointless with other platforms shooting well.
    If you need an extra shot, might as well make it a quick one (IMHO).

I shoot until the deer is down, or I spot my exact hit location. Movers often fail to reflect such info, so as they pass you just thump 'em repeatedly.

Kinda fun actually.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    look at the h&r heavy barrel single shots. my gf has one for deer hunting and the gun shoots great. she can shoot 1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. the gun is heavy so not much recoil. also it is pretty cheap to buy.
    I had one of these as well. It shot very nice but I wanted those two other shots waiting that the Savage has. A friend wanted the H&R for his wife so I sold it to him but it shoots so well he carries it now.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a 1187 fully rifled though in 12 ga. If you want to shotgun hunt the 1100/1187 in 12 or 20 is the set up. The semi auto action soaks up a lot of the recoil and they are very accurate. Just don't go cheap on the scope!

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I used a cantilever on my remington 870 20 gauge. Still have it. It is accurate but only after spending 80.00 in different slugs to see what it liked. Finally found some Federal ammo that worked well after trying various.

This year I opted for a H&R .44 mag single shot just for a change of pace. Keep in mind you might not get lucky finding ammo it likes until you spend upwards of 50 bucks so factor that in.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I hunted most of my life with a remington 1100 20gauge with a Hastings Cantilever mount barrel. It was a great combo. I have taken deer out to 150yds with it. I sold off the barrel awhile back to fund the 458 Socom , kind of regretting it now.

uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Also keep close a box of good sabots, and only switch brands until you find one you like, then stick with it. I have an 11-87 with a rifled-cantilever barrel and shoot core-lokt sabots- couldn't be happier

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Can't beat a 20ga shotgun with a rifled barrel . Have used one for years and have yet to not recover a deer . It is my go to gun in deer season .

As other have said be prepared to spend a little cash on sabots . The 20ga seems to be a liitle more finicky on what they like . Once you find one that works , stick with it . If you change up sabots alot you will be chasing your tail.

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    Hmmm... Well just goes to show that everything works differently for everyone. I have a 20ga 870 with a cantilever barrel that I could not get better than 3" groups at 100yds, not that 3" groups are horrible but expected better. I tried SST's, copper solids, 2 3/4", 3", you name it and finally gave up, bought a vent rib barrel so my 12yo can shoot doves with it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There's more to getting good groups that just a decent bbl.
    Trigger, barrel fit to reciever, stock fit and bench position/followthrough.
    I had one 870 where the barrel was loose in the receiver- used two layers of ironed out masking tape to snug it up. Bbl ring torque is also a biggie (can even equispace the ring on the mag tube it for more consistent results).
    Then there's the ammo- I buy from one lot#. Of course one lot# might shoot better than another..........so best to find a supply and test a sample from it, then if good go back and hopefully buy from same supply.
    Of course the gun magazines/manufacturers don't tell you all they do to get such tiny groups ;)

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Hmmm... Well just goes to show that everything works differently for everyone. I have a 20ga 870 with a cantilever barrel that I could not get better than 3" groups at 100yds, not that 3" groups are horrible but expected better. I tried SST's, copper solids, 2 3/4", 3", you name it and finally gave up, bought a vent rib barrel so my 12yo can shoot doves with it.

I know some people that love the sst's , but I had ZERO luck with them. The copper solids were even worse . In a box of 5 I would have maybe one that went threw the target straight . The other four would tumble . You could hear them tumble when you shot .

I shoot federal barnes expander , my sons shoots remington accu-tip . Both of them will shoot groups under 2'' @ 100yds everytime . Most times they will all be damn near touching if the shooter does thier part .
    We both shoot 2 3/4'' . The 3'' doesn't shoot bad but not as good as 2 3/4 .

Top Bottom