• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I have a bunch of 2x fired LC 5.56 brass that I am starting to process. This will be the second reload for this brass, my first time not reloading 1x fired brass.

The sizing was done on an RCBS rockchuker press, with RCBS small base x-dies.

I have since abandoned this die as I have upgraded to a dillon, and have the trimmer with its own sizing die now.

I am finding that this brass is now under spec for case length. I am seeing this in the 1.745 to 1.750 range. rarely do I see one over 1.750, which is trim to length in the books. I measured all these when I reloaded, and was sure that they were all trimmed to 1.750. Of course now I am doubting myself. These were processed a couple of years ago.

I am also seeing that when I use my case gauge on this unprocessed brass, I am within about 2 thousands of being in spec already as far as headspace goes. It seems like if I were to just bump these shoulders a little, they would come right into spec.

I am concerned about the case length. is 1.745-1.750 too short to reload? Do these need to go to the 300 blackout donor bin?

Is it normal for x-dies to work like this?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    You will not have any problem with that size. I trim mine to 1.750" before sizing, and 1.745" will not cause you any problems. I have some 1x fire Lake City that I loaded over the weekend, and some of the cases were shorter than 1.745".

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Using brass at that length has no down side. Load away.

The X-dies claim to fame is that they reduce, or eliminate case growth. It is the whole point.

Your comment proves my conviction that properly lubed and re-sized .223 brass grows very little and is why I no longer worry about OAL length after numerous reloads. .002 headspace is about ideal, I work hard to see no more than .004 for my AR's.

My brass gets trimmed to 1.750 and then I just wait for a neck split or loose primer pocket somewhere in the future. When either happens, that is when the brass gets pitched in the recycle bucket.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    2X fired brass is generally no problem in the AR rifles. I generally reload 5 or 6 times for middle of the range reloads. Like the general consensus, the neck being a few thousandths short is not a problem, too long has a potential to be.

The second statement is about the shoulder placement according to your case gauge. Are your finished cases .002" too long for proper head space, or .002" too short? Also, does your mentioned spec measure outside the minimum/maximum range or are you different than nominal (perfect)? Also, how do your cases measure up after firing?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don't the bottleneck cases typically headspace on the shoulder anyway? .005 on the neck shouldn't make a bit of difference.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    2X fired brass is generally no problem in the AR rifles. I generally reload 5 or 6 times for middle of the range reloads. Like the general consensus, the neck being a few thousandths short is not a problem, too long has a potential to be.

The second statement is about the shoulder placement according to your case gauge. Are your finished cases .002" too long for proper head space, or .002" too short? Also, does your mentioned spec measure outside the minimum/maximum range or are you different than nominal (perfect)? Also, how do your cases measure up after firing?

They were a hair too long.

I have been told that I can resize the brass in small increments, until I can get one that doesn't stick when I manually load it, but boy I am also unsure of trying this. I have also been told that my case gaue is set to give me 8 thousands clearance at the high mark of the shoulder.

I Think I am just gonna keep it in spec per my case gauge for this round of reloads. By the next time around, I should be comfortable and read up on a bit more with setting my die to closer chamber tolerances.

Does this change in headspace affect accuracy to any real degree?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    They were a hair too long.

I have been told that I can resize the brass in small increments, until I can get one that doesn't stick when I manually load it, but boy I am also unsure of trying this. I have also been told that my case gaue is set to give me 8 thousands clearance at the high mark of the shoulder.

I Think I am just gonna keep it in spec per my case gauge for this round of reloads. By the next time around, I should be comfortable and read up on a bit more with setting my die to closer chamber tolerances.

Does this change in headspace affect accuracy to any real degree?

I mis-understood your OP, this too long condition must be corrected before attempting to fire these rounds. Too long headspaced cases put you on the road to a slam-fire.

It is really easy to set up your FL sizing die by using your bolt and rifle chamber. Just remove the ejector first and operate the bolt manually.

If you continue using your case gauge, the head should be below the level of the high mark.

Top Bottom