3-gun competition (Rifle/Shotgun Suggestions)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'm looking to pick up a semi-auto shotty and rifle for 3-gun competition. My primary concern, given my size and stature is that weapons be LIGHT WEIGHT. Reliability is another big factor. I'm tired of tinkering with finicky guns at steel target shoots.

I've been looking at some of the AR-15 short barrel carbines (bushmaster, etc.) on the rifle side. Though they only appear to be about 1 pound lighter than many of their longer barrel relatives.
    Suggestions on a rifle pick?

The shotty side is more difficult. Light weight usually means more felt recoil, which is another problem for smaller shooters like myself. I've had a Beretta 1201 in the past and LOVED it. It would cycle incredibly fast and shoot anything you loaded into it without fail... but it did kick a bit. I'm guessing the Benelli novas and M4s are going to be similar. I know Beretta is integrating their recoil reduction system into their shotguns and the guns of other companies they own, but I don't think they've made it into many of the defense/tactical guns yet have they? Shell capacity is another concern I have on the shotgun side.
    Suggestions on a shotgun?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    ln my opinion only, lightweight free floated AR15, and the two shotguns used primarily are the Benelli M2 in either 24 or 21 inch trim, and the FN SLP.

My advice would be get a good quality light weight ar15, and one of those two shotguns and you will be good to go.

edit: Do NOT buy the "tactical" benelli guns, you want a Benelli M2 Field. The tactical guns do not have the mag capacity necessary. And the primary brand of mag tube extension is Nordic.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Nothing wrong with a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge with a 26 inch barrel and 10 shot extension. with mod or full choke it will easily handle steel target using 7/8 ounces of #2a or4s or number 2 buck.

I use a 12 gauge 1100 with the Choate 10 shot extension, my 20 inch AR, and Glock 17 for the most part.

sakima

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Shotgun

I use my Benelli M1 Super 90, put on a Benelli pistol grip stock, mag tube extension and 20 inch barrel...

During Dove season, it's converted back for the field.

This Benelli has never failed me in the field or on the range.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nothing wrong with a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge with a 26 inch barrel and 10 shot extension. with mod or full choke it will easily handle steel target using 7/8 ounces of #2a or4s or number 2 buck.

I use a 12 gauge 1100 with the Choate 10 shot extension, my 20 inch AR, and Glock 17 for the most part.

Yeah nothing would be wrong with a 20 gauge 1100 other than ... its not legal right?

12 guage only I believe. I have never seen anyone with a 20 gauge...And I am too lazy to check the rules.

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    Nothing wrong with using a 20 ga shotty for 3-Gun competition... I'd recommend any of the above mentioned shotguns in whatever length barrel you want (shorter 21-24" is preferred for competition). The Benelli M2, FN SLP MK1, Rem 1100 and the Mossburg 930 would all be great starting points in my opinion.

For a rifle, I can hook you up with a forged upper/lower combo in 16" or 20" that would group better than we can. Check out Advanced weapons platforms - LOKI Weapon Systems, they have some forged uppers listed.

Top Bottom