• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I have a 4"X4" square of very thick felt-like material that I use as a pad when shooting big rifles at the range. Amazing how this takes the pain out of putting a lot of rounds down range. In my younger days I shot trap weekly and had no problem. But at 64 it seems that some of my natural upper body padding has shifted southward!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The weight of a M110 Synthetic is still going to be sufficient to keep recoil reasonable, presuming the stock fits the shooter well.

The '06, with 220gr loads, is not a good choice for someone's first high-power rifle. As has been stated repeatedly, the 150gr bullets would be much better. I have never heard of someone referring to the '06 as the 357 of rifles. I don't know that there is any correlation or comparison between the two, other than to say both are very useful, in their respective roles. The 357 is a very good self-defense cartridge and the 30-'06 is a very good big-game hunting cartridge. As far as hunting with a 357 Magnum, most folks think of it as a marginal cartridge...the least powerful handgun round one might use. The '06 does not fit that description...not even close.

"Most people" is a difficult perspective to quantify. For folks that live, shoot and hunt in Indiana, your comments about the 223 being bought for frequent mid-range shooting might be accurate. There are plenty of shooters outside of Indiana who shoot a bunch of 223 ammo, but there is a big distinction to be made, here: Where "real" rifles can be used for hunting, lots of people shoot guns in the 30-'06 class, and considerably more powerful rounds, on a regular basis. I do not own a 223-chambered rifle, but shoot hundreds of rounds of high-power stuff every year.

I guess what I'm saying is that the '06 is not necessarily meant for infrequent shooting or for long-range shooting. In fact, it's not really a popular choice for shooting at truly long range, and there are plenty of guys out there putting hundreds or thousands of '06 down range every year. There is no reason the OP cannot become acclimated to his rifle and shoot it quite a lot, particularly if he switches to a lighter bullet/reduced load.

Yes, I was making broad generalizations to keep it short as possible. My 357 comment was meant to relate that a 357 pistol can pack a punch, especially a light one, not that there is any real relationship between a 30-06 and 357. :) I maintain that 30-06 isn't really common for casual shooting these days, primarily because it costs $1 per shot, but also because it is a one shot one kill gun--you don't double tap with it. :) It is a great gun for target competition, and some experts choose it over the .308. I like it better than the .308 because the barrel will last much longer, and it is a bit more powerful, which I believe gives it an edge over .308 on the long shots.

Can you believe 30-06 was the standard infantry round in WW1/2? Everyone basically had a sniper rifle, but no optics good enough to make full use of it in that role. I haven't held a Garand, but those thick stocks must be really heavy to allow repeat fire.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    1. It doesn't matter how big you are. In fact the bigger you are the faster you stop the recoil. So says Newton.
    2. I bruise after 20-30 rounds of .308/.30-06 from the bench or prone. Shooting in those positions, especially prone, you take the full brunt recoil. One thing that helps is to raise the bench or lower your seat. The higher your body angle, the less recoil goes into your collar bone, and allows you spine to absorb some of the recoil.
    3. Make sure the butt is in your shoulder "pocket". Put you non shooting hand over the front of your shoulder so you can feel both your pectoral and deltoid muscles at the same time. Reach your shooting arm straight out to the side. Now reach straight forward. You can feel the "pocket" that forms right between your pectoral and deltoid muscles. that's where the butt of the rifle goes. If the stock is too long it's going to hit you in the ball and socket joint and that's going to hurt.
    4. Pull the stock in "tight" to your shoulder. Don't let the rifle get a running start.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Can you believe 30-06 was the standard infantry round in WW1/2? Everyone basically had a sniper rifle, but no optics good enough to make full use of it in that role. I haven't held a Garand, but those thick stocks must be really heavy to allow repeat fire.

M1 Garands shoot like kittens. It's not the weight, it's the semi-auto action.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yes, I was making broad generalizations to keep it short as possible. My 357 comment was meant to relate that a 357 pistol can pack a punch, especially a light one, not that there is any real relationship between a 30-06 and 357. :) I maintain that 30-06 isn't really common for casual shooting these days, primarily because it costs $1 per shot, but also because it is a one shot one kill gun--you don't double tap with it. :) It is a great gun for target competition, and some experts choose it over the .308. I like it better than the .308 because the barrel will last much longer, and it is a bit more powerful, which I believe gives it an edge over .308 on the long shots.

Have you shot very much 30-'06 or 308? :)

The 30-'06, outside of Indiana, is easily the most popular big game cartridge. It is shot a TON for recreation. I've got buddies in CA and AK and northern WI who shoot their '06's all summer long.

With bullet weights up to 150 grains, there is little or no difference between 30-'06 and 308 Winchester. This is due to the higher operating pressure of the shorter case. It is not until you get into heavier bullets that the larger capacity of the '06 gives it a SLIGHT advantage. The difference between the two, in terms of recoil, will always have more to do with the rifle and load used, than the actual cartridges. The barrel on an '06 is not going to last appreciably longer than a 308 and if it has an edge on longer shots, it is by a truly miniscule amount.

Both of my grandfathers shot the '06 in WWII, in 1903 Springfield rifles. Most of the infantry rifles of that day were capable of being a "sniper" weapon at ranges of 600 meters or more. The 303 British, 8x57 Mauser and 7.62x54R were not AS good as the 30-'06, but they weren't all that far behind, either. Until the Garand came along, with its semi-auto design, the playing field was pretty level, where rifles were concerned. Even the 7.7x58 Jap was capable of long-range shooting, although the workmanship and accuracy of their rifles really fell off, during the war.

The heavy weight of the Garand does help with felt recoil, as does the even heavier BAR design.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I've had a 30-06 for about ten years. It is not a gun you shoot a lot as compared to a .223. As I stated, if you are a competitive shooter you sure might shoot it a lot. Hunters don't run around shooting squirrels and bunnies with it :).

I think I was thinking of the 300WM having a shorter life, not the .308. All this talk of Garands is making me want to shoot one!

Top Bottom