• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    So i came into an endless supply of 30-06 brass and around 500 rounds of loaded ammo.

Not sure what to do with it. If it was 308 id buy a SR25 or M1A instantly. First 2 idea's was a Garand or a 700. It seems accessories for a 700 in 30-06 is extremely limited. My first thought was AI stock etc.. but they don't seem to make it.

So please feel free to toss out some idea's.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Depending on the type of 30-06 ammo you aquired I would go M1 Garand. I had both it and a Remington 700 in '06 and I still have the M1. I just enjoy shooting the old military warhorse more, they're a blast!

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    It seems accessories for a 700 in 30-06 is extremely limited.

My first thought was AI stock etc.. but they don't seem to make it.

Buy an AI for a long action 700 with the 300 WM magazine. Tweak the magazine lips slightly and it will function for 30-06.

If you don't care for the ergonomics of the AI (I don't without Viperskins, and even then I'm not crazy about them), find a BDL inlet stock that suits you and drop in the PTG long action AI bottom metal.

I am not terribly crazy about DBM's on bolt rifles, but was pleasantly surprised (as usual) with the PTG offering, especially for the price.

I've got a couple of heavy 30-06 Match chambered 10 twist stainless 700 barrels here setup with a Savage style barrel nut for a similar project I have been working on.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    When I found myself in a similar position (found nearly a full pallet of M72 match 30-06 on en blocs) I bought a couple of Garands and burned most of it into brass, then necked it down to 280AI for bolt gun use.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am going to suggest the m1917 Enfield or otherwise known as the Eddystone
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd1Zhe17CX4

The M1917 is a good rifle, but I believe it would take more work to find a decent one than to find a decent M1 Garand.

They were made by Eddystone, Remington and Winchester.

The last ones I remember being for sale with the surplus dealers was when AIM had some for sale about 10 years ago or so.
    I think they came from Sweden or some such country in that part of the world.

I was lucky enough to get a Remington (the Winchesters went fast) that has the original 1918 barrel and is in good shape.
    The bayonets are like small swords!

Top Bottom