• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have a 30-06 and not sure if I had to do it over again that I would go the same route.
    I don't reload so it's not exactly cheep to shoot. I don't hunt so I don't keep up with what is legal for hunting, but I don't think much of anything is legal to hunt using 30-06.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You can hunt coyote with a 30/06 in Indiana. Heck, it's legal to hunt SQUIRREL with a 30/06 in Indiana, just not deer!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    30-06 right now because of the ammo availability and because I just picked up a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 and the honeymoon isn't over yet. When the honeymoon is over it becomes a 6.5-06 Ackley.

r.gray87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Columbus
    30-06 is a great caliber for deer hunting if you can hunt with it, unfortunately you can't in Indiana. You could also hunt game larger than a whitetail with one as well. So its a solid gun to have in your stable if you wanted to hunt in Canada or out West sometime.

Plus down South you can head into a gas station and get moon pie, coke and a box of 30-06 just for the hell of it.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Evaluating Rifle Cartridge:

Availability
    Accuracy
    Recoil
    Performance

Between these two it comes down to a few pounds of recoil vs a few fps.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I bought Rem700 in 30-06 for my long range niche. It is really, really accurate, but it kicks like a mule. I think 308 kicks a bit less and is even slightly more accurate at intermediate range, but you'd probably only notice the difference in accuracy from long term statistical comparisons--at least that is my understanding. Then once you get out really far the 30-06 is supposed to be better.

It is a good question. If I had it to do over, I'd probably choose 308 just because that is what most military snipers use. But I am real proud of my 30-06 and see no reason to change. I really like the big, manly bullets!

Whatever you decide you can't go wrong IMO. But I would advise you look at a bull barrel, simply because it will reduce recoil and since you are unlikely to carry it hunting.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The real joy of a 30-06 is found with those who also reload. The '06 can be loaded soft enough with small lead bullets for plinking , light varmint, target, and with heavier bullets and slower powder, long range and heavy hunting. It was a great design when it was adapted that is still viable today.

Top Bottom