• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I am currently working on 30-30 win. Loads using a 30 cal (308.) Hornady 150 gr gmx bullet, according to the LEE book the OAL should be 2.550 for a 150 gr bullet, how ever even with my die turned all the way in as far as I can get it I can only get down to 2.590 which tells me something is seriously wrong and the lee data could be incorrect for this type of bullet, I am not very experienced with these rounds but I have reloaded other rou ds long enough to know when something isnt right. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also I have noticed the 44. Mag data between the lee book amd lyman 49 are incredibly different for a lead 240 grain using unique the lee states a max of 7gr whereas the lyman states 11.7.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Bullet Style??

Hornady 150 gr gmx bullet

What style is a "gmx" bullet? Are you loading for a lever gun? If so, only load a cannulure style bullet, and crimp on the cannulure..Bill.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    The GMX is a Spitzer type bullet and should not be loaded in a rifle with a tube magazine.
    Period.
    The pointy tip can set off the primer of the round ahead of it.
    Hornandy doesn't list data for that bullet in a .30-30 for just that reason.

Now, if you're loading for an Encore, or a Savage 99, give Hornady a call, I'm sure they can set you up with data.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    The 150g gmx is for the 308, the 140g monoflex is meant for the 30-30 in a tube fed gun. Since yer worried about the oal in a 30-30 im figuring yer loading for a lever action rifle. Go to hornadys website to see the bullets.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Isn't the GMX a solid copper bullet, made to hold together well under high velocity? They are pretty danged expensive, too. I can't imagine why someone would choose this bullet for a 30/30 handload, even if it's a single-shot or Savage 99. The 30/30 doesn't drive bullets fast enough to benefit from a "premium" all-copper slug and you can get better bullets for half the cost.

The right choice is the FTX, especially if you're shooting them from a rifle with a tubular magazine.

ETA: Even the Monoflex isn't a great choice for the 30/30...why spend so much on a bullet when something simpler will work just as well, and possibly even better?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Also I have noticed the 44. Mag data between the lee book amd lyman 49 are incredibly different for a lead 240 grain using unique the lee states a max of 7gr whereas the lyman states 11.7.

to address this one, if you were to now go to the various powder websites you'd again find a different set of numbers. These numbers are essentially developed differently, some use what is called a "Test Barrel" and others use an actual gun to work up data. A Test Barrel gives a purer sort of load data that you then need to work up for your personal shooting style and for the firearm you will use it in. A set of data worked up fusing a specific gun works for that gun, you take this and then work your loads up for YOUR gun and YOUR needs. You need to look at the data and see how it was worked up and from this you can tell if you will see the variances you are seeing.

Also, there are lawyers that step in to tell these companies what sort of data to release so that they can reasonably expect to remain safe from lawsuits. Some companies aer more risk adverse than other so you get more conservative data from them. Others aren't as risk adverse so they are willing to go a bit higher on their max loads than other places. This is why many people advise to buy a number of manual and also look at the various company released data and see what works for you.

You can also join a Load Data sharing site, these tend to have ALL the data released on a particular bullet or powder. You get all the new data as it is released as well. It is cheaper in the long run than buying five or six manuals all the time they make new ones plus you stay up to the minute on what sort of loads are available. I use one that is only $30/year. After I print out all the data fr al the calibers I load, plus all the articles I am interested in for a year, I have more than my money's worth of info stored (and read) in 3 ring binders on my shelf. I suppose I just like having as much information that is as new as possible as I can. Not saying it changes my pet loads a lot but it givs me something to read. ;)

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I see I was told these would be ok for a 30 30, that makes a lot more since now. And yes it is for a lever action, I guess they will do for my 308 instead

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Isn't the GMX a solid copper bullet, made to hold together well under high velocity? They are pretty danged expensive, too. I can't imagine why someone would choose this bullet for a 30/30 handload, even if it's a single-shot or Savage 99. The 30/30 doesn't drive bullets fast enough to benefit from a "premium" all-copper slug and you can get better bullets for half the cost.

The right choice is the FTX, especially if you're shooting them from a rifle with a tubular magazine.

ETA: Even the Monoflex isn't a great choice for the 30/30...why spend so much on a bullet when something simpler will work just as well, and possibly even better?

You make a very valid point, at the time these were all I could find and I was hoping to fond something that would work well with my 308. Bolt action As well, unforunately I was unaware that they were a poor choice for a.lever action since I dont have much experience with loading rifle rounds and this is my first lever action load.

could some one please explain the term Spitzer please? since the gmx didnt specificly state it on the box I was unaware they were this type.of bullet.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You make a very valid point, at the time these were all I could find and I was hoping to fond something that would work well with my 308. Bolt action As well, unforunately I was unaware that they were a poor choice for a.lever action since I dont have much experience with loading rifle rounds and this is my first lever action load.

could some one please explain the term Spitzer please? since the gmx didnt specificly state it on the box I was unaware they were this type.of bullet.

Here is a great bullet for the 30/30 that you can get for about 25 cents a round (after tax) versus the nearly $1 per round of the GMX.

30 Caliber .308 Diameter*150 Grain Flat Nose | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

Granted, the current ammo/reloading craze has just about everything sold out, but for loading the 30/30, stick with flat or round nose bullets. The pointy spitzer bullets, shaped like the GMX pills you bought, have the potential to pierce the primer of the round in front of it in the tube, when you shoot the round in the chamber. NOT a good situation! :)

I have found the accuracy of the Hornady FTX to be worth the extra money. (It is pointy, but has a soft gummy tip that will deform instead of piercing the primer in front of it.) Just be sure you get one constructed for the slowish speeds of the 30/30 and not the faster 308 Marlin Express.

30 Cal (30-30) .308 Diameter*160 Grain FTX Flex Tip | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

The 003-30396 bullet is the more heavily constructed FTX made for faster rounds.

Good luck, and if you'd like some more specific help with loading the old 30/30, let us know. :)

Last edited:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Here is a great bullet for the 30/30 that you can get for about 25 cents a round (after tax) versus the nearly $1 per round of the GMX.

30 Caliber .308 Diameter*150 Grain Flat Nose | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

Granted, the current ammo/reloading craze has just about everything sold out, but for loading the 30/30, stick with flat or round nose bullets. The pointy spitzer bullets, shaped like the GMX pills you bought, have the potential to pierce the primer oYif the round in front of it in the tube, when you shoot the round in the chamber. NOT a good situation! :)

I have found the accuracy of the Hornady FTX to be worth the extra money. Just be sure you get one constructed for the slowish speeds of the 30/30 and not the faster 308 Marlin Express.

30 Cal (30-30) .308 Diameter*160 Grain FTX Flex Tip | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

The 003-30396 bullet is the more heavily constructed FTX made for faster rounds.

Good luck, and if you'd like some more specific help with loading the old 30/30, let us know. :)

Thanks I really appreciate it, I know where plently of winchester 150fn that I can pick up after work, I may go with those for the 30-30 and save the GMX for my 308 hog hunting loads.

Top Bottom