• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    my father in law had a 30-30, i used it to kill a couple deer. in my opinion an i realize it doesnt really count, i wouldnt bother with a scope. its not that powerful to me that you need one. but keep in mind i spent ten years out in montana and we used the big stuff and had to take pretty long shots so......... that may make me biased.

i would just shoot it and enjoy

jake

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I would say that unless your eyes are bad enough to need a scope, just use the iron sights. Then I am one that hates to see a scope on a lever action. Just kind of distracts from the gun to me.

I lived in the Southwest for a number of years. Used longer range guns a lot but still areas where the 30-30 held it's own. Then again, back then getting as close to your target before shooting was what a outdoors man did.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    To me lever guns look best scoped small and low the the gun.

If i was to guess and since it is a marlin 336 of most likely new manufacturer i would look at the Redfield line of scopes.

Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope

Or what i personally like is the leupold 2.5 ultralight scope. Real small lots of eye relief and even at 2.5 power what i like in a scope.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    Your basic fixed four power is a good one on this rifle. No, it's not deer legal,it should be. Yes, it has killed more deer than any other caliber.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The 30/30 lever gun is well served with a peep sight. The extra sight radius and the peep sight accuracy makes it far easier at the 75-125 yards shots. In low light, just unscrew the sight aperature and you are left with a 7/32" ghost ring rear sight for those early morning, low light varmints. Mine wears a Williams that is sturdier than the Lyman I tried first. Give old tech a try, it still works.

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    on my land it is legal and i use golden antler scope. good for unwanted skunks, yotes and what ever else comes in the cross hairs that is a nuisence...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just a heads up, I just got the new Midway USA flier and they have Williams brand rear peeps for either the Marlin centerfire Lever guns or the Winchester model 94 lever guns on sale. The price is $30 for either one. I have no affiliation with MidwayUSA but they have been a pretty good place to deal with for the last 20 years. Good Luck

Top Bottom