• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am wanting to sbr and supress an AR. in the past I was advised to buy a 30 cal supressor so it could be used on both 30 and 556. My question is : how much efficiency would I lose with a 30 cal can on 223?
    Obviously I want it as quiet as possible.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The efficiency loss is little to nothing. The bore diameter is larger but the internal volume is much greater so it balances out. I have a yhm .30 cal QD titanium and there is very little perceivable difference between it and the yhm 5.56. I actually liked the .30 better because the tone seemed lower.

Silencer Co makes a Saker with removable end caps. If you put a 5.56 end cap on their 7.62 can it ends up being quieter than their 5.56 can.

My next can will be a YHM .30 LT. Its very light for a .30, same mount that I'm already running, great sound reduction, and fits my budget.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have a 7.62 Saker in jail, but tried it out on my 10.5" pistol, to me, it sounded great. Silencercos 5.56 Saker has the same db rating at the 7.62 firing 5.56 through it (134bd), they're not clear which end cap that is with though, but to me it sounded great and was very hearing safe.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yep the 7.62 saker is the way I'm going. With the 5.56 end cap silencerco notes a noticeable decibel reduction over the regular 5.56 saker.
    Its the best option I've currently found under $1k

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Yep the 7.62 saker is the way I'm going. With the 5.56 end cap silencerco notes a noticeable decibel reduction over the regular 5.56 saker.
    Its the best option I've currently found under $1k

:yesway: did a little googling, nice can

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Corey posted videos a few years back using both 5.56 and 7.62 cans. I wish I had seen it before I bought my 5.56.
    If I were starting over, I'd get the 7.62 and be done. Now I'll end up with both.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    The human ear can not tell the differance so I am told.
    After 50 years of shooting I would not be the best judge of what is quieter.
    I have shot both 223 in 223 cans and in .30 cal cans of several makes and models and
    cannot tell the diff.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The human ear can not tell the differance so I am told.
    After 50 years of shooting I would not be the best judge of what is quieter.
    I have shot both 223 in 223 cans and in .30 cal cans of several makes and models and
    cannot tell the diff.
    Online I can hear a distinct difference. In person, I can't tell you yet. But soon I will.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I've used my YHM 30 cal can on my AR before. I really cant tell the difference in sound from it and my gemtech 556 can. The downside is that the 30 cal can is much larger and much heavier.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've not taken the "pepsi challenge" between a .223 silencer and a 7.62 silencer on a .223 gun, but I can say I'm very happy w/ my SDN-6 on my .223 ARs. I've shot w/ the M4-2k before and while a couple yrs passed between the experiences, I didn't find myself expecting more from the SDN-6. I've gone through a couple hundred rounds, even shooting from under a covered firing position, w/o ear pro and felt absolutely no discomfort.

as mentioned the only downside is weight and length. A sacrafice I was willing to make to avoid spending another ~1k or more down the road for a second can. I just shortened the primary gun I wanted to use it on to 12.5". It ballances about as well as a 16" gun and is only about 1" longer than a 16" gun w/ flash hider.

-rvb

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I've used my YHM 30 cal can on my AR before. I really cant tell the difference in sound from it and my gemtech 556 can. The downside is that the 30 cal can is much larger and much heavier.
    Weight is why I went with their titanium can. They also make the LT which is full auto rated and only weighs 20 oz (barely heavier than most 5.56 cans).

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Corey posted videos a few years back using both 5.56 and 7.62 cans. I wish I had seen it before I bought my 5.56.
    If I were starting over, I'd get the 7.62 and be done. Now I'll end up with both.

Im the the one who shot that video. It was with my not so great small digital camera, so it's hard to tell much on the video. In person, I remember hearing a slight tone difference but little noticeable volume difference. I'm not a swat door kicker, so I went with a .30 cal can for my first rifle can. It works very well on my .30 cal as well as .223 caliber guns.

Allen, you are welcome to shoot my .30 cal SAS can on any of my rifles you'd like. The AR I got from you a few years ago is actually threaded 5/8-24 for my .30 cal can. I also have a few thread adapters so I can shoot it on several other guns. Plus, with a .30 cal can, you'll be ready to jump into the .300. BLK game! Of course you know I'm going to push you to form 1 a can! Well, two cans really! With your skills, it'd be no trouble. For you to make both caliber cans for less than buying one and then you can test it out yourself!

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Im the the one who shot that video. It was with my not so great small digital camera, so it's hard to tell much on the video. In person, I remember hearing a slight tone difference but little noticeable volume difference. I'm not a swat door kicker, so I went with a .30 cal can for my first rifle can. It works very well on my .30 cal as well as .223 caliber guns.

Allen, you are welcome to shoot my .30 cal SAS can on any of my rifles you'd like. The AR I got from you a few years ago is actually threaded 5/8-24 for my .30 cal can. I also have a few thread adapters so I can shoot it on several other guns. Plus, with a .30 cal can, you'll be ready to jump into the .300. BLK game! Of course you know I'm going to push you to form 1 a can! Well, two cans really! With your skills, it'd be no trouble. For you to make both caliber cans for less than buying one and then you can test it out yourself!

I may take you up on that and I do really want to build my own but I am just to lazy :)

Top Bottom