• ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Grendel. Grendel. Grendel.

It’s the best cartridge for what you’re hoping to achieve for all the reasons posted above. You will not be disappointed.

If you’re interested I have a new 16” barrel from Six Five Arms that I would sell (only because I want to go with another 18” barrel).

Levergun1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I have a 20" 6.5 Grendel that came from BCA. Buddy bought an 18" and a 20". Decided that he didn't need both, so sold me the 20"

Very cool caliber, especially for youth, women or recoil sensitive shooters. If you keep your range on Whitetails at 300 or less, I think you would enjoy it.

I mainly shoot the 123 SST for hunting and it performs very well.

Remember that the 300 BO really is wasted on anything over an 8-10 barrel. That's what it was designed for.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This is the upper I am thinking about getting if I go the 6.5 route.
    https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/ca...traight-fluted-rc-bur-nrail-spiral-flash.html
    I don't know how well they put their uppers together. I have used their barrels and handguards. Both I like. Their barrels are moa with match ammunition. I built a 7.62x39 AR for my nephew as a wedding gift and used one of their barrels. He is getting moa accuracy with Golden Tiger ammunition with his BCA barrel. They do have a lifetime warranty if something isn't right they fix it.

I plan on giving them a try in the future.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I don't know how well they put their uppers together. I have used their barrels and handguards. Both I like. Their barrels are moa with match ammunition. I built a 7.62x39 AR for my nephew as a wedding gift and used one of their barrels. He is getting moa accuracy with Golden Tiger ammunition with his BCA barrel. They do have a lifetime warranty if something isn't right they fix it.

I plan on giving them a try in the future.
    They put them together poorly. And are known for using our of spec bolts and having out of spec chambers.

I've had a factory bca Grendel upper that shot poorly. 4 to 5 moa with a 10 round group. I've had 4 different 556 barrels one factory complete bca (it was 350 dollars so I tried) and non of them were capable of moa. Cold bore you could sneak a 3 rd group under 1.5 but never maintain better than a 3 to 4 moa average. A single group under an inch doesn't make a gun sub moa. Bca is deceptive.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    They put them together poorly. And are known for using our of spec bolts and having out of spec chambers.

I've had a factory bca Grendel upper that shot poorly. 4 to 5 moa with a 10 round group. I've had 4 different 556 barrels one factory complete bca (it was 350 dollars so I tried) and non of them were capable of moa. Cold bore you could sneak a 3 rd group under 1.5 but never maintain better than a 3 to 4 moa average. A single group under an inch doesn't make a gun sub moa. Bca is deceptive.
    My Grendel with match ammunition shoots under moa 5 shot groups. I used their barrel and handguard got both shipped for around $125. The both were on sale. Aero Precision Upper, and Lower receivers, and parts. Fail Zero BCG and BCM large charging handle.

Maybe I got lucky each time.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    And, for this reason, I would look at the .350 Legend instead.
    I get that but in my opinion it would be the 300BO ballistics are very close to a 7.62X39 and the ammo offerings are currently way better than .350 Legend. Give it a few years and i may change my mind but currently look at the 350 Legend as a Niche cartridge that may not last.

Also the 300BO can be made out of .223/5.56 brass so in a SHTF situation it is still viable.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I get that but in my opinion it would be the 300BO ballistics are very close to a 7.62X39 and the ammo offerings are currently way better than .350 Legend. Give it a few years and i may change my mind but currently look at the 350 Legend as a Niche cartridge that may not last.

Also the 300BO can be made out of .223/5.56 brass so in a SHTF situation it is still viable.
    Also under that same thought process. I went with a BCA 10.5" upper in 7.62X39.

Cheap surplus ammo....a ton of it around and more knock down than 300BO.

My 10.5" BCA upper is sub MOA with quality ammo but eats the cheap sh#t just fine....50 yard group completely covered by a dime. This is my current deer "pistol" but can be used as a SHTF rifle with no problems.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd really recommend 350 legend for this purpose.

I see it readily available almost everywhere. It's very tame recoil wise, and there's a boatload of options for AR uppers and ammo.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I'm gonna be the it's man out .
    6.8 spc .
    I was thinking about being that guy earlier.
    Lots of bullet choices (during normal times). Great round for deer on private land.
    I haven’t looked but have heard ammo is about a buck a round cheaper than Grendel.
    My rifle has taken 9 or so deer over the past few years. Haven’t tried on coyote yet.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

A little over a buck a round

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    I'm starting to plan for next deer season, and I think my son will be ready to hunt with my. He will be almost 10 and is a great shot with his .22 already with open sights. My issue is that currently I only have a 7mm-08, a 12 guage, and a muzzeloader for deer and my son is way way on the small side for his age.

So I am narrowing my options down to a 300 blackout, 6.5 grendel, or a .44 magnum lever gun. I have been leaning towards the 300 blackout since I have a lower ready anyway and I could put a suppressor on it since he doesn't care for loud noises even with ear muffs on. I also like the 6.5 Grendel because eventually he could reach out farther as his confidence builds. The .44 magnum is on the list just because it seems like the standard first deer rifle around here and I've always wanted to add a lever gun to my collection anyway.

Any thought on these or are there any others I should be looking at?
    Built a 6.5G for my 14 y/o son. 20” Odin 416 ss barrel with matched BCG, adjustable gas block. Rifle length buffer/spring, Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock... like shooting a Red Ryder-
    Lever action deer rifle?? 30/30 or nothing at all.
    6.5G upper will match to any standard AR lower.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have thought about building a 6.5 Grendel, but just never have. I have hunted with my 10.5" .300 BLK pistol on public land and a 16" .300 BLK on my land. I built a 16" .350 for this year's season specifically for hunting public land as that is what I hunt most. It will shoot just over 1 MOA when I do my job. I really like the .350 Legend, but did not get a deer with it yet. Maybe next year.
    Around the Cincinnati area I am finding .350 Legend ammo, but little to no .300 BLK ammo for hunting.
    I would like to have a nice .44 lever gun just because. One of my hunting buddies has taken several deer with his before switching over to a .270 rifle when that became legal. He still hunts with his lever gun when he hunts the public land with me.

Top Bottom