• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Is 300 blackout a good HD caliber? I'm putting together a 10.5in 300blk SBR with a suppressor. Is this good HD setup for someone living with a family in a neighborhood?

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I can't say, as I have not shot anyone with mine, but I can tell you that I would not want to catch some 208 or 220gr subs or 125gr supers in the chest.

If I was going to run it as a HD gun, I would run 125 Barnes supers in it through a can.

I think with that set up it would be a great HD gun.

I have mine set up at times with my NV on it, with a Steiner IR laser and Inforce IR light.

20160218_141126_zpsil1uzfv9.jpg

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I can't say, as I have not shot anyone with mine, but I can tell you that I would not want to catch some 208 or 220gr subs or 125gr supers in the chest.

If I was going to run it as a HD gun, I would run 125 Barnes supers in it through a can.

I think with that set up it would be a great HD gun.

I have mine set up at times with my NV on it, with a Steiner IR laser and Inforce IR light.

20160218_141126_zpsil1uzfv9.jpg

Great looking build. I'll post pics of mine when I get the suppressor mount this week. Mine's not as sexy but still goes husssssh when I shoot it! I like the 300 BLK band on your mag. I went the cheaper route and painted the mag floor plates blue. I also painted the mag box lid blue so I know it's 300.
    Dan

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Thanks, the 300 bands were a gift. I like them, it's easy to swap them if I use different mags.

I love the 300 cartridge. It's nice to have a subsonic rifle round that 100% functions in the AR platform.

It's funny how many smiles it makes at the range when people shoot it.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I've wondered the same question, but subsonic only. I'm picking up a 45 Ti-RANT which I know you can run subs through. I don't intend on having anything but subs in the house so I don't mix up a super and blow it up.

To me it seems more like a "fun" idea than a "good" idea.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Should be a great setup. Be sure to test her out and get plenty of range time before it goes on duty. I would go with varmint type supers.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My two cents.

The 300 BLK in super sonic form provides energy in the right range to be effective on medium sized game, like deer. There are some very effective bullets that can be loaded in the 110, 125, adn 150 gr class that will perform well at ranges < 100 yards. For subsonics, projectile energy is on par with a .45ACP. However, there are limited options for effective expanding bullets in the 200+ gr class that will perform as well as a typical .45ACP slug.

For me, suppressed 300BLK is a very capable platform for medium sized game, such as deer. Given anotomical similarities, one could draw a conclusion that there would be good effectiveness in a home defense situation.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I finally got a chance to get some pics of my new .300 BO build. It's an SBR with an 8" barrel with a Thunder Beast Muzzle Brake that has an incorporated Suppressor Adapter. Also included is a Thunder Beast Ultra 5 can cause, y'know, "Merica!!

1D0A7759-X2.jpg

It's very accurate and hearing friendly with super-sonic rounds. I hope to pick up some subsonic this weekend and use it as a HD bedside gun.
    More pics are online at 300 AAC Black Out - DanVoils
    Dan

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I like your dust cover. I'm waiting for my can to be released but anxious to shoot some subsonic through it. I have an 8.5" barrel and I've put through plenty of 110 grain supersonics without problems. I've got a few hundred 220 grain subsonics that I'm waiting for the can before I send them out the muzzle.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I like your dust cover. I'm waiting for my can to be released but anxious to shoot some subsonic through it. I have an 8.5" barrel and I've put through plenty of 110 grain supersonics without problems. I've got a few hundred 220 grain subsonics that I'm waiting for the can before I send them out the muzzle.

Thanks. I think it's a very clean build and feels great in the hands. I haven't shot any subs through it yet only 150 gr supers. Even then with the can it's very hearing safe. I need to find a decent priced source for subs. I'm not in a position to reload so I'm having to buy what I need right now.
    Dan

Top Bottom